Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

221 - 222 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
But the fact is that the charge level stays within about a quarter of the full range most of the time. Where it is depends on your driving mode:
  • ECON: 25% to 50%
  • NORMAL: 35% to 60%
  • SPORT: 65% to 90%
Those numbers actually make sense, given how each of the modes would be expected to work.

I don't think any of the vehicle manufacturers design for a 100% battery charge (with the possible exception of Tesla, since Musk always wants to push limits). From a strictly practical perspective.. limiting battery charge to 85-90% of full does not just give some improvement in total battery life span, it is also an easy way to steer clear of customers complaining about not getting as much mileage from a battery pack 2 or 3 years into ownership as they did on day 1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those numbers actually make sense, given how each of the modes would be expected to work.
Exactly. Too high, and you risk losing energy you could store. Too low, and you risk not having the battery to boost power. I'm not to certain about NORMAL mode, because I don't use it much.

These modes also change throttle response. You can get to the same point with each, but it is quicker in SPORT. In ECON, one reviewer said the car was mellowed than the night clerk at a 24 hour pot dispensary. Some find it too mellow. But that's pretty much the only engine-related effect of the modes.

221 - 222 of 222 Posts