Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

Registered
2020 CRV LX
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just purchased my first 2020 CRV 4 weeks ago. It was the model on the showroom floor. I didn't test drive it. Well, took it home and noticed a rattle noise. It's not happening all the time. I have brought my car in 3 times. The tech first told me it's just common road noise. I left feeling defeated. One morning while it was raining and windy, I drove back up and had him drive with me. I also recorded the rattling. He states he could hear it on the video, but not in the car. I will post the video, can anyone help?

Registered
2020 CRV LX
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I feel like I am loosing it. Sounds like it's dashboard, very right driver side only.

Registered
2020 CRV LX
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing I would do is pop off the strut tower plastic caps under the hood and then test drive it. They have a reputation for being loose and causing noises.
Thank you, will try that tomorrow morning and let you know. It鈥檚 so disappointing to have a brand new car at the dealership 3 times and still having an issue.

Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
Welcome aboard to CR-V Owners Club.

I take every single thing that is not tied down Out, even the floor mats. Buckle every seat belt. get the cam as close to or even get a Mic and put that as close to the rattle.

For example this was what i did to isolate my brand new car sound.

Registered
Unsure what model you have. If you have a clip on garage door opener, try removing this as it could be vibrating, Check that window visors are secured and not vibrating against the retainer. Remove anything in the sunglass holder, center console.

Super Moderator
1997 185 2002 EX 2017 EX-L AWD
Took me 6 months to find a nail clipper in my sunglass holder that caused this rattle towards the floor. so like iI said in another post & thread, remove all unwanted items including the floor mats and back Everything, can't do it, then the rattle will never get found. then clip the seat belts, It is a process of elemination. good luck

@Catty33 if and when the chance comes we like the Profile filled out of the car, so @Nuke does not have to guess the V

LX, EX. Touring

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Took me 6 months to find a nail clipper in my sunglass holder that caused this rattle towards the floor. so like iI said in another post & thread, remove all unwanted items including the floor mats and back Everything, can't do it, then the rattle will never get found. then clip the seat belts, It is a process of elemination. good luck

@Catty33 if and when the chance comes we like the Profile filled out of the car, so @Nuke does not have to guess the V

LX, EX. Touring
Yep.. been there done that :) ..... except in my case it was a small screw driver that apparently had fallen out of my pocket and then proceeded to find the exact best place to prosecute a small persistent rattle on me.

Registered
Thank you, will try that tomorrow morning and let you know. It鈥檚 so disappointing to have a brand new car at the dealership 3 times and still having an issue.
Don't get disappointed or frustrated. Never let an unknown noise in a vehicle own you. :) It does happen, and not just to new vehicles. I'm a freak for any unidentified rattles, clicks, ticks, etc in my cabin and will chase them endlessly to find them.

Personally, I could not detect an abnormal noise in the video.. but admittedly my old ears are not what they used to be.

The fact that the service tech can confirm it on the video but cannot hear it while riding with you, and assuming it is not simply him providing confirmation bias to the owner, it says three things to me:

1) it may very well be intermittent, subject to movement of the vehicle, suspension movement while driving, etc. So... being able to demonstrate to yourself whether it is depending on vehicle movement or not could help.

2) It is unlikely to be something major or safety related.... or the tech would have likely picked up on the noise. The fact that you have identified it to be right side drivers seat helps localize it some. I would suggest driving with windows down in a quiet neighborhood too.. to try to detect if it is a noise internal to the cabin or external (noises can be tricky like that.

3) Use the suggested process of elimination suggested in earlier posts, as it is the best practice for finding small mysterious noises.

It could very well be something loose in the cabin, since you are able to at least isolate it to right side drivers seat position (though your video is of the left side of the drivers position). If it is the right side... that makes the center console suspect to me... so check real good in and around the center console. If it is actually the left side of the driver position, then the suspect would be the drivers door or the dash area.

Also... since you have it somewhat localized where in the cabin you hear the noise coming from .... take some quality time to do the old soft finger tap/rap test every inch or two in the area where you think the sound is originating, as if it is say a loose fastener from assembly knocking around.. a finger tap test to try to jar the object to trigger the noise may help here.

Registered
2020 CRV LX
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, just logging on and getting caught up on the messages. A couple of quick comments. 1) LX model 2) Nothing is my car that didn't come with it. Meaning nothing is stored inside my car... NOTHING 3) No garage door opener, no sunglasses. Its seems to be triggered by increased wind / rain. I have tried banging on everything on the dashboard. Nothing stops the noise. I tried putting down the window, doesn't stop it. I drove with the mechanic when I drove it up to the dealership. He said he couldn't hear it. It was happening and my daughter was in the backseat and could hear it.

Registered
Here are some things that caused annoying rattling in my CRV:
  • Cargo shade upside down
  • Rear center seat belt unbuckled, but metal tabs not pushed into roof holder
  • Front passenger seat belt release button sticking partially in when pressed, which caused rattle sound that seemed to be from dash area.

Registered
If it's that new, nothing should be rattling. After years and miles, things do get loose, but they can also be tightened. If in doubt, get it checked out ;)

Reactions: Catty33

Registered
2020 CRV LX
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone who replied. I just took it out, not making the noise right now. I am really thinking it's something to do with either rain or wind/speed. It's sunny and not very windy right now. It's so frustrating. This started the day I got the car. I feel like no noises should be heard. I told the mechanic when he tried to say it was road noise, I would have NEVER bought this car.

Registered
Sorry, just logging on and getting caught up on the messages. A couple of quick comments. 1) LX model 2) Nothing is my car that didn't come with it. Meaning nothing is stored inside my car... NOTHING 3) No garage door opener, no sunglasses. Its seems to be triggered by increased wind / rain. I have tried banging on everything on the dashboard. Nothing stops the noise. I tried putting down the window, doesn't stop it. I drove with the mechanic when I drove it up to the dealership. He said he couldn't hear it. It was happening and my daughter was in the backseat and could hear it.
I believe you stated it was a floor model right? As such.. anybody could have been climbing into and out of that vehicle before it was sold to you.

There could be something a service person dropped into some nook somewhere, or it could have been a kid dropping a trail of legos as they moved all over the dealership waiting on Mom and Dad.

My point being... if this is not a part defect, or a screw or other fastener dropped into a nook during assembly, then it would most likely be either something that is loose, or something that has dropped into the vehicle from someone who entered it before it was sold to you. Suspect everything, and then list the suspects and eliminate them from consideration one by one. :)

Registered
I am really thinking it's something to do with either rain or wind/speed. It's sunny and not very windy right now. It's so frustrating. This started the day I got the car. I feel like no noises should be heard. I told the mechanic when he tried to say it was road noise, I would have NEVER bought this car.
So first thing to categorically figure out --> does it only do it while moving down the road, or can you get the noise with it parked..... while tapping with fingers in various places, or by applying the accelerator? Does manually controlling the fan setting in the climate control cause, reduce, or increase the noise (sometimes there is a bad blower that can do this... and you might only notice it under very specific conditions.

If it only happens while moving.. then determine at which speeds it is most prevalent, if any. Next... identify the different road surfaces you may be driving on when you hear it and when you do not.... because the actual road surface makes a huge difference in cabin noise. Smooth fresh pavement..... very quiet. Pavement with tar and stone applied on top... quite noisy due to the pebbling of the surface vs the tires. Concrete freeway with an anti-skid surface to prevent water build up on the concretes surface.... quite noisy.

Note: I am not implying your noise source is simply road noise... it may be or it may not be. But I listened to the audio several times on your video and all I heard was normal road noise.

Good luck :)

Registered
My glove compartment door has always rattled. It seems to be play between the latch and catch on each side. Just throw some AC Delco Synthetic lubricant with Teflon on them when it starts up. So far just had to apply twice in a little over two years. It's also good to use on the rubber door strips so the doors don't squeak in the jams as the rubber dries out.

Registered
2020 CRV LX
Discussion Starter #20
So first thing to categorically figure out --> does it only do it while moving down the road, or can you get the noise with it parked..... while tapping with fingers in various places, or by applying the accelerator? Does manually controlling the fan setting in the climate control cause, reduce, or increase the noise (sometimes there is a bad blower that can do this... and you might only notice it under very specific conditions.

If it only happens while moving.. then determine at which speeds it is most prevalent, if any. Next... identify the different road surfaces you may be driving on when you hear it and when you do not.... because the actual road surface makes a huge difference in cabin noise. Smooth fresh pavement..... very quiet. Pavement with tar and stone applied on top... quite noisy due to the pebbling of the surface vs the tires. Concrete freeway with an anti-skid surface to prevent water build up on the concretes surface.... quite noisy.

Note: I am not implying your noise source is simply road noise... it may be or it may not be. But I listened to the audio several times on your video and all I heard was normal road noise.

Good luck :)
Yes, it's happening when it's on motion. It doesn't do it when it's parked. It's happening most at speeds over 45, which is part of the problem. I live in a small town, so I don't always drive above 45.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts