Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m a new 2020 owner and so far we really like it. I have a question regarding the engine auto idle-stop. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago, and now it doesn’t seem to work at all. We haven’t changed anything and as far as we are concerned, everything listed in the manual that is highlighted that it does not activate when and may not activate when are not in operation, and still no auto idle stop. Anyone have any experience or suggestions to see if we can get it working again? Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
1,169 Posts
Read your manual.

Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5
km/h) after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• A gear position other than (D DrivinguAuto Idle Stop
1Auto Idle Stop System ON/OFF
If you turn off the Auto Idle Stop system while it is
activated, the engine will restart.
Auto Idle Stop System Indicator (Amber)
1Auto Idle Stop Activates When:
Do not open a hood, during idling stop. If the hood is
opened, the engine will not restart automatically. In this case, restart the engine with the ENGINE
START/STOP button.
Pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button causes the engine to no longer restart automatically. Follow the standard procedure to start the engine.
Driving

uuWhen DrivinguAuto Idle Stop

• • •
• • •

The engine is started with the hood open.
u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate
Auto Idle Stop.
The battery charge is low.
The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C) or less.
The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F (−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to Hi or Lo.
is ON (indicator on).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Read your manual.
I’m not sure if you read my message, but I have read the manual and have verified (as far as I’m concerned) everything to a tee. I even went further and made sure the heated seats were not on.

Everything is the same. It was 68F here today and I was out today for an hour, driving 35-45 mph and I got some traffic lights and it never activated.

When it was working, if I slowed down to a stop and didn’t punch the brake down very hard to stop, there would be a message in the driver info centre stating to active the idle-stop to push the brake pedal down (harder/more pressure).

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,912 Posts
I’m not sure if you read my message, but I have read the manual and have verified (as far as I’m concerned) everything to a tee. I even went further and made sure the heated seats were not on.

Everything is the same. It was 68F here today and I was out today for an hour, driving 35-45 mph and I got some traffic lights and it never activated.

When it was working, if I slowed down to a stop and didn’t punch the brake down very hard to stop, there would be a message in the driver info centre stating to active the idle-stop to push the brake pedal down (harder/more pressure).
Suggestion: consult with your dealer. ;)

There is a reason brand new vehicles have bumper to bumper warranties. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my 2020. The difference is I have not noticed my idle stop engage since I have owned it. Now, I only have a little over a 100 miles on it, so my limited time with my
CR-V might not be a true test of the vehicle’s idle stop system. The idle stop feature has not been disable by us during our various trips.

I looked at the list of possibilities for the idle stop not working listed above and the only ones that could possibly apply would be the transmission temperature or the coolant not reaching maximum temperature. From what I can see the coolant temperature is reaching the normal range. So my thought would be more incline to believe the transmission temperature is the culprit.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my 2020. The difference is I have not noticed my idle stop engage since I have owned it. Now, I only have a little over a 100 miles on it, so my limited time with my
CR-V might not be a true test of the vehicle’s idle stop system. The idle stop feature has not been disable by us during our various trips.

I looked at the list of possibilities for the idle stop not working listed above and the only ones that could possibly apply would be the transmission temperature or the coolant not reaching maximum temperature. From what I can see the coolant temperature is reaching the normal range. So my thought would be more incline to believe the transmission temperature is the culprit.

Question: So.. what is the weather like where you live right now? Cold? If so.. that may be a source of it being inhibited.

I imagine if there was a system failure as cause.. some lights would be lit up on the instrument cluster... given how prolific modern Hondas are about alerts and warnings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Question: So.. what is the weather like where you live right now? Cold? If so.. that may be a source of it being inhibited.

I imagine if there was a system failure as cause.. some lights would be lit up on the instrument cluster... given how prolific modern Hondas are about alerts and warnings.
I live in central Maryland and the temperature is unseasonably warm. Mornings can be a little crisp, but normally below 30 degrees.

So far no unusual instrument lights on the dash lighting up. So I will wait until
I get more time behind the wheel to see what happens. Fortunately, it is not one of those warranty repair items that requires to rush back to the dealer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Glad I got my Honda CRV (2018) before they forced this feature on the owners. Fortunately there are an increasing number of solutions that will change the default setting on many of the cars to "Off". If there isn't one for Honda - there likely will be soon.
Just like Honda's VCM system - that turned off cylinders on our Odyssey but caused expensive engine repairs - these systems often create more wear/tear/expense than they save in fuel costs. Some preliminary evidence is showing that some cars suffer premature timing chain (or belt) wear from auto start/stop - not to mention possible wear on the (supposedly beefier) starters and batteries.
Personally, I just don't like the feel of the car constantly restarting and resent the car maker (and the EPA) telling me I have to accept it - so I won't!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow, I thought the idle stop systems were only used on hybrids where the engine didn't have a conventional starter on it; with a motor/generator connected directly to the engine, there is NO wear per se because it didn't use a typical conventional starter with regular starter drive. A motor/generator system like that used on earlier Civic hybrids started the engine "quietly", without the usual cranking sound; they were like how the Prius engine starts, very quiet. If these auto stop systems are using a conventional starter, that's pretty dumb. It would be like taking a regular Honda without that system and turning the key off every time you're at a stop light and then restart the engine when you're ready to go. Lots of wear and tear on the starter for certain!

·
Registered
177 Posts
With direct injection, I'm guessing the engine simply shoots some fuel into the appropriate cylinder and fires the spark plug. The starter might assist with quickly building the momentum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, here is an update on my situation with the AIS. I haven‘t drove the CRV in about a week, and during this period I think I remembered the last time the AIS worked properly. I was pulling into the gate of our community and I stopped to talk to the folks, and the AIS engaged. While stopped the AIS engaged, I opened the drivers door for some reason, with my foot still on the brake. At that time I got a message in the drivers information centre telling me the AIS was engaged, and I put the transmission in Park, and the engine started. Since this time period the AIS has not worked at all.

What I did today and the AIS started work again.
  1. In the parking lot, I opened the door and got in the vehicle and closed the door.
  2. Staying in driver's seat, I buckled the seat belt.
  3. Pulled the hood latch release.
  4. Started the engine.
  5. Got the hood open message in the drivers information centre.
  6. I opened the driver’s door.
  7. Turned the engine off, unbuckle the seat belt and exited the vehicle to close the hood.
  8. Got back in the vehicle, started it as per normal and drove away, and the AIS operated on this drive when conditions were met.
I’m not sure what step above helped, but this is what I did and it must have reset the AIS., as the AIS will not operate if the hood is opened. I Hope this may help someone else if they experience the same issue.

Also, for those that do not like AIS and can’t be bothered to push the AIS off button each time, try doing what I did to cause it to not operate

·
Registered
Honda CR-V 2020 Sport
4 Posts
I am in Canada (Montreal) with-10C, sometimes AIS works and most the times not working, I got my car last week, even when the car is enough warm, it does not work

·
Registered
Honda CR-V 2020 Sport
4 Posts
Guys I think I found the logic, before start , seat belt should be fastened, if you fasten the seat belt after start, it will not work, please test

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am in Canada (Montreal) with-10C, sometimes AIS works and most the times not working, I got my car last week, even when the car is enough warm, it does not work
i would assume one of the numerous factors that must be met for AIS to work are not being met in your case. Mine went about a month without working and I’m in Florida (live in Ontario). Temps were no where near cold enough for some of the factors that may be causing yours not to engage in some cases. I tried running the climate control system in auto mode and the AIS would not engage/car started again. I didn’t test it too much with that, I just took it out of auto mode and the AIS engaged at the next stop.

I’m sure your AIS will work when the conditions are met (warmer weather).

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Guys I think I found the logic, before start , seat belt should be fastened, if you fasten the seat belt after start, it will not work, please test
Would be nice to have this confirmed. If confirmed, I bet Honda issues a TSB at some point to fix this. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Why would you want it? The only benefit is maybe save 10 cents in gasoline. LOL
That's a rather self-centered position. Having engines off at spotlight contributes to cleaner air and reduced health risks.

Also, start-stop systems have heavy duty starters and purpose-built alternators/batteries.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts