Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Honda CR-V 2020 Sport
4 Posts
Guys; I found and I tested the problem. when you turn on the car, normally the AIS conditions do not meet and then after a while all conditions met but the AIS system just checks the conditions one time at the start time. it does not check the conditions contiounsly during drive to enable itlself when the conditions met. if you stop the car (safely) after 10 minutes, turn the negine off open the dor, close it and turn on the engine again, you will see that AIS is working, I sent the information to Honda Canada facebook and also i will let my deal knows and transfer the issue to Honda to make software update for logic of AIS

·
Registered
706 Posts
the AIS system just checks the conditions one time at the start time. it does not check the conditions contiounsly during drive to enable itlself when the conditions met.
That is really weird. It could not check the engine and decide we're not doing it as it's cold in the morning.

I have a French minivan and it checks continuously. Sometimes you come to the stoplight and see the dashboard "A" flashing for a moment but it does not switch off the engine because the ambient temp at the stoplights is probably lower than required or something and then you see the Auto-stop-start button to switch to OFF.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Guys I think I found the logic, before start , seat belt should be fastened, if you fasten the seat belt after start, it will not work, please test
I always get in the car, start it and back out of garage and then fasten the seat belt as I need to turn around while backing. Start stop will still activate once the car has pretty much fully warmed up. This can take some time in below freezing temperatures, even beyond the point when the temp gauge shows the vehicle water temp at full operating. Who knows what logic is being used, maybe the cabin temp or engine needs to be fully warm too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had my 2020 AWD EX CR-V since December 2019 and it has a little over 800 miles on it now. Something is truly wrong with the AIS. For a while, I thought it was because I was putting my seat belt on after moving the vehicle out of Park. I prefer to reverse out of my garage without the seat belt on, and then put the seat belt on just as soon as I put the vehicle in Drive. But I changed my habits to get in the vehicle, turn the engine on, put my seat belt on, and then shift into reverse, but the AIS still did not come on at all during my 45 minute warm weather drive (70 degrees outside) with frequent stops at lights. I have found that one way to get it working again is to reset the entire system (climate control, etc.), but that is a ridiculous solution. I have not tried the procedures mentioned in this thread (pop hood open) to reset it, but I will try. I'm going to contact my local dealer as well as Honda customer service about this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always get in the car, start it and back out of garage and then fasten the seat belt as I need to turn around while backing. Start stop will still activate once the car has pretty much fully warmed up. This can take some time in below freezing temperatures, even beyond the point when the temp gauge shows the vehicle water temp at full operating. Who knows what logic is being used, maybe the cabin temp or engine needs to be fully warm too.
This method of reverse and then putting on seat belt is what I do, and I feel like somehow that has deactivated the AIS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I can’t say if you buckle your seat belt after started or after the vehicle is put into D or R if it will disable the AIS, but I can tell you what I did works. I can only assume what happens to disable the AIS, once it happens, it may be disable no matter the conditions until it is reset.

About a week ago I noticed that the AIS wasn’t working on my CRV again and I was cretain all conditions were met. So, I pulled into a parking lot, and did the following:
  1. Turned the engine off.
  2. Remaining in the driver's seat with my the seat belt fastened.
  3. Pulled the hood latch release.
  4. Started the engine.
  5. Got the hood open message in the drivers information centre.
  6. Turned the engine off, unbuckle the seat belt and exited the vehicle to close the hood.
  7. Got back in the vehicle, started the vehicle as per normal and drove away.
At the next stop light, about a Km down the road, I stopped and the AIS worked, and continued from the point forward. The quick fix took about 30 seconds to do, so if your AIS is not working, and you assume conditions are met for it to work, don’t hesitate, try this quick fix and let us know how you make out.

BTW, I think the system does continue to monitor the items needed for the AIS to work. If I‘m at a stop and AIS is engaged, and I either turn on the air conditioner or turned the steering wheel a bit, the engine starts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As I have already posted I have a 2020 and the idle start and stop has not been working, which is just fine by my wife. For me, I would like to see this option working. One day I will sneak it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Now reviewing some of the posts from others who have found ways to get this feature working is a little amusing. Some of the posts reminds me of years past with the television’s rabbit antenna. Remember trying to get a clear picture and these famous words could be heard, “move it the left, no right, raise it higher, add more tin (yes tin) foil, etc.” Not sure spending 30 something thousand for a car and we have to do this or that to get our car’s system working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can’t say if you buckle your seat belt after started or after the vehicle is put into D or R if it will disable the AIS, but I can tell you what I did works. I can only assume what happens to disable the AIS, once it happens, it may be disable no matter the conditions until it is reset.

About a week ago I noticed that the AIS wasn’t working on my CRV again and I was cretain all conditions were met. So, I pulled into a parking lot, and did the following:
  4. Started the engine.
  6. Turned the engine off, unbuckle the seat belt and exited the vehicle to close the hood.
At the next stop light, about a Km down the road, I stopped and the AIS worked, and continued from the point forward. The quick fix took about 30 seconds to do, so if your AIS is not working, and you assume conditions are met for it to work, don’t hesitate, try this quick fix and let us know how you make out.

BTW, I think the system does continue to monitor the items needed for the AIS to work. If I‘m at a stop and AIS is engaged, and I either turn on the air conditioner or turned the steering wheel a bit, the engine starts.

Thanks for all this. I intend to try it shortly. Even if it works though, it's beyond ridiculous that this is the fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would love it if our AIS stopped working on our 2020 V. All it does is create additional wear and tear to the starter motor and engine for a few cents worth of gasoline.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try the ECON mode.

From the owners manual: "The duration of the Auto Idle Stop operation increases in the ECON mode, compared to when the ECON mode is off, with climate control in use."

4. Started the engine.

I believe you're entirely serious.

But your post reminds of these attempts at phone repair:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 2020 CRV for a couple of months now. I have put about 600 miles on the car and I have never seen the auto idle stop trigger even once. I turned on the message for auto stop in the menu and every time I stop it just tells me "Auto Engine Idle Stop Not Available". I looked through the manual and don't see anything that should be stopping it. I'll try the hood thing tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Tried the hood thing. Made no difference.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have had my 2020 CRV for a couple of months now. I have put about 600 miles on the car and I have never seen the auto idle stop trigger even once. I turned on the message for auto stop in the menu and every time I stop it just tells me "Auto Engine Idle Stop Not Available". I looked through the manual and don't see anything that should be stopping it. I'll try the hood thing tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

600 miles in 2 months may indicate a number of short trips. This may not fully charge the battery. Honda has a two stage charging system. One of our posters figured this out and turns his headlights on when he drives short trips, which seems to engage the higher charging rate. Battery state of charge is one of the factors that will keep idle stop from engaging.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have 2020 Touring 3 months ago and I'm sure AUTO IDLE STOP working well on my car. I believe you need to press the brake pedal always down so it will activate it. If you press the brake pedal half way ( still stop the car) and it will not activate. You will see a message show up on your dash board instruction when you press the brake pedal not way down.

·
Registered
2 Posts

OK - update. Today for the first time since I bought the car, the auto idle stop worked ! The crazy hood opening/closing trick must have fixed it. I probably didn't drive it far enough last night in testing for it to kick in. Worked every time I stopped today. Amazing !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The most likely cause is the battery not being fully charged. I noticed the same thing on my new Passport (my CRV is a 19 and doesnt do this). I even charged the battery to see if that helped. It did for about one trip. I took it in and one of the cells was bad on the battery. They replaced the battery and the AIS now works as expected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The most likely cause is the battery not being fully charged. I noticed the same thing on my new Passport (my CRV is a 19 and doesnt do this). I even charged the battery to see if that helped. It did for about one trip. I took it in and one of the cells was bad on the battery. They replaced the battery and the AIS now works as expected.
i doubt it's a battery issue. also, isn't AIS a new feature for 2020 CRVs? Or did 2019 have it also? i just followed the hood action steps and mine started working again after about 5 minutes of driving. we should all contact Honda Customer Service to demand a software update for this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only feature I hate. Feels like someone tags your bumper every time it restarts. I try to remember to disable it but ultimately forget. I wish it would break.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Kim57. If you turn your climate control to LO (or HI) it will not come on. Not always possible, depending on time of year. There are a few other tricks...one involves opening the hood with the engine running then closing it. See post #26 in this thread. I don't mind the auto stop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, can anyone explain to me why an owner has to go through any type of tricks to get the idle start/stop feature to work? I know it is new feature, so are we writing this off as a system bug? Has anyone got a real answer from Honda?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts