Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
Okay, can anyone explain to me why an owner has to go through any type of tricks to get the idle start/stop feature to work? I know it is new feature, so are we writing this off as a system bug? Has anyone got a real answer from Honda?
Normally, we don't have to go through tricks to get the idle stop to work...It seems that a few have discovered a scenario where it doesn't work, and a have helped the group by posting a way they figured out to get it working again.

If I understand it properly, if one's hood has been opened wile the engine is running, then the idle stop may be inactivated. If this is the case, then the "tricks" are a way to get idle stop to work again. Perhaps this is a bug is Honda's software, and "perhaps" Honda will address, it, but I doubt it.

The whole point of the "tricks" is to help those who want idle stop to function in their CR-Vs, and it is not. If yours is working then it doesn't apply to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The whole point of the "tricks" is to help those who want idle stop to function in their CR-Vs, and it is not. If yours is working then it doesn't apply to you.
I agree about Honda stepping up to the plate to fix this issue. To me, looking at past posts where other owners have performed various tasks to get the idle stop/start feature to work such as, starting the car, putting the car in reverse and unbuckling and buckling the seat belt or like already mentioned opening and closing the hood in an attempt to get the system to work is very unusual “fix” to the problem. I agree that it is nice to get possibly solutions from forum members; However, when you pay this much for a vehicle, performing these tasks to get your vehicle to operate as it is suppose to seems a little problematic.

Perhaps my expectations are too high for Honda products (quality and testing). Perhaps this issue is not wide spread as I may think and only a few of us are experiencing this flaw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a new 2020 Touring we bought back in December. Idle stop worked fine for the first two months and hasn’t been working since, no matter what the weather. I too have noticed that when it’s was working, if you didn’t press on the brake hard enough at a stop light, you would get the warning message to press the brake pedal harder.

Drove the car today and it was in the 50’s. made sure the climate control was off And no heated seats. Would not kick in even after an hour drive. Economy on or off made no difference.
Just found this thread and It’s interesting that others are experiencing the same issue. I will try the hood sequence tomorrow and report back.

Anyone contact Honda or their dealership to get an answer? Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had pretty much the same experience. Worked for a while, but hasn't for...well, a while. I can't remember the last time it kicked in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so today I tried the 7 step process that was mentioned and holy crap, it is now working again after not working the last 2 months!!!

I called my dealership and spoke with the service manager to see if they have had any other customers with the same issue. He said I was the first he knows of. He was amazed when I told him what resolved it and gave me the 800 number for Honda USA and told me to give them a call to share my (our) issue and what we found that resolves it.

The lady at Honda USA was amazed at the information I provided her with. She created a case and gave me the case number and said that Honda would eventually get back to me either via phone or email to let me know what they find.

Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, for those of you still having the issue, go ahead and perform the 7 steps.

Thanks everyone for all of the testing everyone has done and for coming up with the temporary solution.

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
Ok, so today I tried the 7 step process that was mentioned and holy crap, it is now working again after not working the last 2 months!!!

I called my dealership and spoke with the service manager to see if they have had any other customers with the same issue. He said I was the first he knows of. He was amazed when I told him what resolved it and gave me the 800 number for Honda USA and told me to give them a call to share my (our) issue and what we found that resolves it.

The lady at Honda USA was amazed at the information I provided her with. She created a case and gave me the case number and said that Honda would eventually get back to me either via phone or email to let me know what they find.

Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, for those of you still having the issue, go ahead and perform the 7 steps.

Thanks everyone for all of the testing everyone has done and for coming up with the temporary solution.
On the other side of this coin, this provides those who DON'T want the Auto Idle Stop to engage, with a procedure to semi-permanently disable it.

AND I believe this is designed to protect people working under the hood???

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m not sure if you read my message, but I have read the manual and have verified (as far as I’m concerned) everything to a tee. I even went further and made sure the heated seats were not on.

Everything is the same. It was 68F here today and I was out today for an hour, driving 35-45 mph and I got some traffic lights and it never activated.

When it was working, if I slowed down to a stop and didn’t punch the brake down very hard to stop, there would be a message in the driver info centre stating to active the idle-stop to push the brake pedal down (harder/more pressure).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked up a new 2020 CRV touring model yesterday and noticed the AIS was not working.
I was ready to take it back to the dealer when i came across this blog and this so called remedy., and it worked
To simplify things It appears that if the hood is opened or unlatched while the engine is running something disables the AIS. Which means u have to do the process in reverse to reset it. All i can say is when i did that the AIS has worked since

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can’t say if you buckle your seat belt after started or after the vehicle is put into D or R if it will disable the AIS, but I can tell you what I did works. I can only assume what happens to disable the AIS, once it happens, it may be disable no matter the conditions until it is reset.

About a week ago I noticed that the AIS wasn’t working on my CRV again and I was cretain all conditions were met. So, I pulled into a parking lot, and did the following:
  1. Turned the engine off.
  2. Remaining in the driver's seat with my the seat belt fastened.
  3. Pulled the hood latch release.
  4. Started the engine.
  5. Got the hood open message in the drivers information centre.
  6. Turned the engine off, unbuckle the seat belt and exited the vehicle to close the hood.
  7. Got back in the vehicle, started the vehicle as per normal and drove away.
At the next stop light, about a Km down the road, I stopped and the AIS worked, and continued from the point forward. The quick fix took about 30 seconds to do, so if your AIS is not working, and you assume conditions are met for it to work, don’t hesitate, try this quick fix and let us know how you make out.

BTW, I think the system does continue to monitor the items needed for the AIS to work. If I‘m at a stop and AIS is engaged, and I either turn on the air conditioner or turned the steering wheel a bit, the engine starts.
This pop the hood suggestion worked for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want this "feature". Is it just because your vehicle is supposed to have it so "it better effen work, or else"?

Seriously. From what I can see there is one benefit, which is a tiny amount of fuel savings. With that you get a few potential down sides, which include more wear and tear on the engine and starter, a hesitation when trying to get going again after a stop, and air conditioning/heat that will stop working whenever you stop the car.

If my car had this "feature" I think I'd be happy if it quit working. In fact if it was working, I'd be trying to find a way to disable it.

So, what's the deal? Is there actually a sizable amount of consumers that actually like this start/stop technology.

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want this "feature". ...

So, what's the deal? Is there actually a sizable amount of consumers that actually like this start/stop technology.
FWIW, there is a decrease in emissions as well. In crowded cities, all those cars idling at stop lights. Think about it. I'm NOT a "tree huger" by any measure, but that IS one of the benefits. Get used to it, most if not all new vehicles going forward (see what I did there?) will have this "feature".

·
Registered
197 Posts
FWIW, there is a decrease in emissions as well. In crowded cities, all those cars idling at stop lights. Think about it. I'm NOT a "tree huger" by any measure, but that IS one of the benefits. Get used to it, most if not all new vehicles going forward (see what I did there?) will have this "feature".
I see. So in areas that require emissions testing, as long as the car isn't running when they put the probe into the tail pipe you should always pass the test with flying colors. Maybe this is a benefit that I overlooked.

I was kind of being a smart ass there, but think about this. If 10 years from now the car breaks down in an intersection somewhere due to a problem related to a malfunctioning start/stop feature, wouldn't the emissions created by the diesel tow truck that's sent to rescue you pretty much erase all of the emissions savings that you thought you were achieving over those 10 years? Not to mention the emissions that would come from the factories that have to manufacture the parts that the vehicle will need in order to get back onto the road again?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see. So in areas that require emissions testing, as long as the car isn't running when they put the probe into the tail pipe you should always pass the test with flying colors. Maybe this is a benefit that I overlooked.

I was kind of being a smart ass there, but think about this. If 10 years from now the car breaks down in an intersection somewhere due to a problem related to a malfunctioning start/stop feature, wouldn't the emissions created by the diesel tow truck that's sent to rescue you pretty much erase all of the emissions savings that you thought you were achieving over those 10 years? Not to mention the emissions that would come from the factories that have to manufacture the parts that the vehicle will need in order to get back onto the road again?
You obviously dont live in california, or have ever been stopped dead because of an accident or traffice for sometimes hours, on a highway, it saves quite a bit of fuel

You obviously dont live in a city where traffic jams can keep back up for hours
Now If u live in wyoming or montana i agree with you

·
Registered
130 Posts
On my 2020 CR-V, my AIS has not activated at all in the past month. I'm only driving the car maybe 2 times a week while working from home so much and temperatures have been between 40-75F outside during this time and continuous drive distances between 1 mile and 13 miles. Not complaining, I find it annoying when it used to activate the first time I got to a stoplight or stop sign (reminding me to press the button). But just strange that it has not kicked in at all over the past month.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had yet to experience AIS on my 2020 CR-V purchased in March, and the previously-mentioned suggestions have not worked for me. With only about 200 miles in 7 weeks (not quite the 3 week to the gallon as some have kidded with the current stay-at-home orders), I think more time has been spent just sitting in the car playing with feature settings than driving. Today, I made one change for an actual trip and, behold! it started working.

If your AIS has never worked, worked but stopped, or even mysteriously starts & stops, head to your Climate settings & see if your AC is not on OR off. What I mean is, neither of the buttons are 'lit'. Tap one and it should highlight. Assuming nothing on the list of things that keep AIS from activating are in play, I'd almost wager that your AIS will now work.

How can the AC be neither On nor Off?
Setting the climate control to Auto does this. I suspect the design logic was that Auto climate activates heat & AC as needed, so the AC is not really on or off as it would be if you manually chose one or the other, and this is how it's indicated.

Further testing showed that AIS works with the AC manually on. So, it seems strange that AIS would care about the AC running one way but not the other. I'd like to reiterate, this is all relative to my 2020 CR-V, so your 'mileage' may vary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Habits play into it too, I often start the engine before buckling up, this too, will prevent it from working

·
Registered
87 Posts
I get why the auto makers had to put this feature in but it doesnt really make sense . In my case , I leave home and theres a 6 km stretch of 80 kmph before my first stop sign . There is rarely any traffic so its usually a quick stop then off we go . This silly feature kicks in for what amounts to a 3-5 second period as I look both ways then proceed .I've only had the 2020 for a few weeks now so I've slowly gotten into the habit of turning the feature off before hitting the road .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I get why the auto makers had to put this feature in but it doesnt really make sense . In my case , I leave home and theres a 6 km stretch of 80 kmph before my first stop sign . There is rarely any traffic so its usually a quick stop then off we go . This silly feature kicks in for what amounts to a 3-5 second period as I look both ways then proceed .I've only had the 2020 for a few weeks now so I've slowly gotten into the habit of turning the feature off before hitting the road .
You apparently dont live in california then, or a big city with stop and go traffic

·
Super Moderator
1,548 Posts
I used to absolutely detest the stop-start feature on my old 4th Gen CR-V.

Like you, I disabled it every time without fail when using the car.

Thankfully, the 1.5T CVT that I have now does not have this silly function so thats one less thing to get annoyed about before I've even set off anywhere!!

41 - 60 of 107 Posts