Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I get why the auto makers had to put this feature in but it doesnt really make sense . In my case , I leave home and theres a 6 km stretch of 80 kmph before my first stop sign . There is rarely any traffic so its usually a quick stop then off we go . This silly feature kicks in for what amounts to a 3-5 second period as I look both ways then proceed .I've only had the 2020 for a few weeks now so I've slowly gotten into the habit of turning the feature off before hitting the road .
If you stop slowly without pressing hard on the brakes it won't turn off. Now that I've discovered this feature it makes it a little less annoying for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you stop slowly without pressing hard on the brakes it won't turn off. Now that I've discovered this feature it makes it a little less annoying for me.
yup , still a work in progress learning the ropes on the fly with the 2020 . So far I'm loving this vehicle . I'm getting 7.6 / per 100 km mixed driving fuel economy which my gen 4 never pulled off .

·
Registered
59 Posts
You apparently dont live in california then, or a big city with stop and go traffic
then make it a feature that can be engaged by the drivers individual circumstance like the green eco button , not auto-engaged .

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
then make it a feature that can be engaged by the drivers individual circumstance like the green eco button , not auto-engaged .
Human psychology at play with things like this, and to effect change.. sometimes you have to almost force humans to adopt something new and different.

The emissions standards and fuel economy standards drive states to press manufacturers to put more fuel efficient technology in... and enabled by default. It is deliberate to enable them by default... to encourage owners to try it and use it. Which is why the feature needs to be specifically disabled at each start if an owner does not want it active.

If it was a feature that was optional by setting a feature switch one time ... most owners (who generally resist new things and change) would simply disable it and forget about it... which in turn means it was a waste to put it in to begin with. Be happy that states are not mandating it be on and that owners be unable to disable it.

Besides.. if you do not live in a congested stop and go traffic community.. you are not going to see that many cycles of auto on/off.... because you have many fewer stop conditions.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's a rather self-centered position. Having engines off at spotlight contributes to cleaner air and reduced health risks.

Also, start-stop systems have heavy duty starters and purpose-built alternators/batteries.
Sure, in smog prone areas, lower emissions are better for the environment; however, the extremely small environmental benefit from auto start/stop is not really worth it. The 1.5 is already a low emission engine. I don't see any benefit to auto stop/start. I would override it every time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yeah, my wife's RAV4 is default in the ECO mode. It has a Sport setting but you have to engage everytime you turn on car, otherwise ECON.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m a new 2020 owner and so far we really like it. I have a question regarding the engine auto idle-stop. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago, and now it doesn’t seem to work at all. We haven’t changed anything and as far as we are concerned, everything listed in the manual that is highlighted that it does not activate when and may not activate when are not in operation, and still no auto idle stop. Anyone have any experience or suggestions to see if we can get it working again? Thanks!
I just bought my CRV 2 days ago, If you ae talking about the Brake Hold, the engine stops when you are stopped and press the brake, and then starts up when you press on the gas. This option is overridden if you have the AC on. I don't know if the Brake Hold is affected by other equipment operations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had pretty much the same experience. Worked for a while, but hasn't for...well, a while. I can't remember the last time it kicked in.
Bought our EX-L yesterday and AIS hasn't worked at all. Did the hood and AC settings trick and we'll see tomorrow if that helped. Not sure we'll have AIS on, but it should at least work!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just bought my CRV 2 days ago, If you ae talking about the Brake Hold, the engine stops when you are stopped and press the brake, and then starts up when you press on the gas. This option is overridden if you have the AC on. I don't know if the Brake Hold is affected by other equipment operations.
No, the brake hold is a completely different feature than the auto idle stop. The engine does not turn off because the brake hold is activated. It only keeps the CRV braked (stopped) after the vehicle stops moving. The engine does not turn off. The engine will only turn off if the auto idle stop is activated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought our EX-L yesterday and AIS hasn't worked at all. Did the hood and AC settings trick and we'll see tomorrow if that helped. Not sure we'll have AIS on, but it should at least work!
I enabled the AIS messages and on a trip last night, it repeatedly said AIS is unavailable at this time, when I pushed hard on the brake pedal. Not sure why as everything was off and conditions should have been good for it to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I enabled the AIS messages and on a trip last night, it repeatedly said AIS is unavailable at this time, when I pushed hard on the brake pedal. Not sure why as everything was off and conditions should have been good for it to work.
Today, AIS was working, after the hood and AC trick!
I immediately turned it off. 😂😂

61 - 71 of 71 Posts