Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I read in an auto blog that Honda has changed the parameters of the auto stop such that it rarely engages due to prior year problems with gasoline dilution of the oil in the turbo engines.
That's odd. It would seem to me that idle-stop would help reduce OD as idling is a known factor in contributing to it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's odd. It would seem to me that idle-stop would help reduce OD as idling is a known factor in contributing to it.
yeah, I find that hard to believe......

·
Enforcer
1,818 Posts
I read in an auto blog that Honda has changed the parameters of the auto stop such that it rarely engages due to prior year problems with gasoline dilution of the oil in the turbo engines.
LOL

Said "auto blog" is only worthy of wiping ones bottom and not much else!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Called US Honda today to find out what's been happening with the case number I opened with them a few months ago after our AIS stopped working and the 7 step process got it working again. They said the case was closed with no other notes. Since our AIS is working now, there is nothing to do. They recommended if it happens again to go to our dealership and they will work with a master mechanic at US Honda to troubleshoot. Sounds like a load of crap to me.

In the meantime, our AIS is still working perfectly. One note, we have not had the hood open since we did the reset process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my new 2020 CRV LX a couple of days ago and the AIS was not working! Every time I stopped I got the message “unavailable”. I tried the step on this thread regarding the opening/closing the hood and it did work!!!!
Still not sure if I like the feature since like some people in here I wonder if the feature will damage the engine. Anyways I’m not a mechanic and I hope it doesn’t.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mirr77! Most new cars in the US have the auto idle stop, and the manufacturers have upgraded the starter, battery, etc so you should be good to go...err stop, err go... ;-)

BTW, auto idle stop has been around for years in Europe.

Reactions: mirr77

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mirr77! Most new cars in the US have the auto idle stop, and the manufacturers have upgraded the starter, battery, etc so you should be good to go...err stop, err go... ;-)

BTW, auto idle stop has been around for years in Europe.
Thanks!! Definitely something to get used to for me :).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dont we know it!

Biggest useless feature that induces more wear and tear needlessly than anything else! (Thank God I dont have it!)
I'm sure an ASE technician can permanently disable it... at least, I hope! If I recall correctly, installing some aftermarket batteries may override the autostop, but I have not spoken with a tech to confirm this.

·
Enforcer
1,818 Posts
Its ok - I dont have it on my current 5th Gen. I did on my last 4th Gen.

Totally did my head in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m not sure if you read my message, but I have read the manual and have verified (as far as I’m concerned) everything to a tee. I even went further and made sure the heated seats were not on.

Everything is the same. It was 68F here today and I was out today for an hour, driving 35-45 mph and I got some traffic lights and it never activated.

When it was working, if I slowed down to a stop and didn’t punch the brake down very hard to stop, there would be a message in the driver info centre stating to active the idle-stop to push the brake pedal down (harder/more pressure).
I’m having the same exact problem with mine

·
Registered
262 Posts
Idle mixture can be leaned out by the PCM. Intermittent starting and stopping can result in more raw fuel in the cylinders instead of vaping off.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,912 Posts
Intermittent starting and stopping can result in more raw fuel in the cylinders instead of vaping off.
Opinion being presented as a factual problem here.

The problem here.... your theory ignores the fact that the number one cause of fuel collecting in the oil and not being properly purged by the PCV system is..... cold driving conditions where the engine never warms up.

For your opinion theory here to be fact... the engine needs to be in a cold state. AS I understand it, the auto stop/start feature will not even go active when the engine is not up to normal operating temperature.

A warm engine will in fact vaporize fuel easily in the cylinders, in the oil, in the PCV system... because a the fuel will not stay liquid... it vaporizes and is then combusted in the cylinder.

If anything... auto stop/start will reduce raw fuel in the engine, particularly the oil pan... where it matters from a concern standpoint because the 1.5T engine is least efficient at idle. Though I have to say.. even at idle it is pretty efficient as you can literally idle this engine for long periods and not burn much fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
I’m not sure if you read my message, but I have read the manual and have verified (as far as I’m concerned) everything to a tee. I even went further and made sure the heated seats were not on.

Everything is the same. It was 68F here today and I was out today for an hour, driving 35-45 mph and I got some traffic lights and it never activated.

When it was working, if I slowed down to a stop and didn’t punch the brake down very hard to stop, there would be a message in the driver info centre stating to active the idle-stop to push the brake pedal down (harder/more pressure).
Make sure you don't have your AC (interior temperature setting) set to LO (or HI)

OOPS, didn't realize this post was 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, here is an update on my situation with the AIS. I haven‘t drove the CRV in about a week, and during this period I think I remembered the last time the AIS worked properly. I was pulling into the gate of our community and I stopped to talk to the folks, and the AIS engaged. While stopped the AIS engaged, I opened the drivers door for some reason, with my foot still on the brake. At that time I got a message in the drivers information centre telling me the AIS was engaged, and I put the transmission in Park, and the engine started. Since this time period the AIS has not worked at all.

What I did today and the AIS started work again.
  1. In the parking lot, I opened the door and got in the vehicle and closed the door.
  2. Staying in driver's seat, I buckled the seat belt.
  3. Pulled the hood latch release.
  4. Started the engine.
  5. Got the hood open message in the drivers information centre.
  6. I opened the driver’s door.
  7. Turned the engine off, unbuckle the seat belt and exited the vehicle to close the hood.
  8. Got back in the vehicle, started it as per normal and drove away, and the AIS operated on this drive when conditions were met.
I’m not sure what step above helped, but this is what I did and it must have reset the AIS., as the AIS will not operate if the hood is opened. I Hope this may help someone else if they experience the same issue.

Also, for those that do not like AIS and can’t be bothered to push the AIS off button each time, try doing what I did to cause it to not operate
This worked great for me. No longer getting idles top unavailable message. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone who is experiencing the idle stop not working gone to the dealership to have this checked? If so, what did they say or do? If it was repaired, is the idle stop still working?

My wife does NOT want it to work, so I have not taken mine in for a check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I did today and the AIS started work again.
  1. In the parking lot, I opened the door and got in the vehicle and closed the door.
  2. Staying in driver's seat, I buckled the seat belt.
  3. Pulled the hood latch release.
  4. Started the engine.
  5. Got the hood open message in the drivers information centre.
  6. I opened the driver’s door.
  7. Turned the engine off, unbuckle the seat belt and exited the vehicle to close the hood.
  8. Got back in the vehicle, started it as per normal and drove away, and the AIS operated on this drive when conditions were met.
Was having a similar issue with my 2020 and this fixed it! Thanks! Not sure why/how this worked, but thumbs up!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got a 2020. I don't mind the auto idle stop feature as I am used to it on other vehicles I've owned/driven. One aspect of the feature in the CR-V that I can't move past is the volume from the audio system -- music from radio, BT, android auto as well as phone calls -- is automatically lowered and lower frequencies are cut from the mix. I have tried shutting off SVC but, this does not help. I cannot find a way to shut this feature off in the infotainment settings nor in the manual. The dealership's suggestion was to just turn off the idle stop...a feature I like to use.
Is there a fix or workaround for the cut to audio volume when idle stop is engaged?

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
290 Posts
Is there a fix or workaround for the cut to audio volume when idle stop is engaged?
I have not noticed that happening.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts