Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,627 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I think that I may need to give the dealership a call on this issue. I live fairly close to the ocean so humidity is an issue, but I have only had the car since early December so this level of wear on a new car seems out of line. The brakes work fine, so there is no functional issue, but its weird having the brake disks on a new car look so worn so fast.
All disks rust.. and they rust easily. They also are easily cleaned from rust with the first use of the brakes each time. Just the simple process of the brake rotors cooling down in an environment where there is humidity will result in a layer of oxidized rust on the rotors the next morning.

Pitting though I doubt it.

How about some photos to help the discussion here.. because "rust" and "pitting" are NOT quantitative measures by any means. :)

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,330 Posts

How about some photos to help the discussion here.. because "rust" and "pitting" are NOT quantitative measures by any means. :)
Did you miss post #16? ;)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Did you miss post #16? ;)
:) I did miss the one from the OP!! Thanks!!

OK.. I see nothing in those photos from the OP to be concerned about.

But.. by all means if the OP is worried.. take it to the dealer. I encourge the OP to just don't get yourself all worked up if the dealer returns an answer = "normal"

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
These are not just rusting. The disks were smooth when I first bought the car, they now are grooved and kind of torn looking on the surface. I've never seen disk with this few miles fall apart like this.
Some grooving of the rotors is not abnormal. In fact every application of brakes will shave a tiny bit off the pad and rotors.

Your rotors actually appear to be "under used" from braking... as in.. they do not get enough friction to even clean them up on each drive.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
969 Posts
I think one of things hybrid owners are not rembering
You use the brakes a lot less than a normal car because of the regeneration
and if you think and look ahead hardly any use of the brakes whatsover
Yes, you only use the disk brakes when stopping hard or slowing below effective regen speed.
I was talking to a Honda mechanic and he said "Brake pads on a hybrid? You might want to glance at them every 150,000 miles or so".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, you only use the disk brakes when stopping hard or slowing below effective regen speed.
I was talking to a Honda mechanic and he said "Brake pads on a hybrid? You might want to glance at them every 150,000 miles or so".
I commute over a mountain pass every day. My brakes get used hard, If I waited to 150K miles to check them I would be looking at metal shavings!

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
969 Posts
I commute over a mountain pass every day. My brakes get used hard, If I waited to 150K miles to check them I would be looking at metal shavings!
I'm sure he was joking.
But it is true that a hybrid will use friction braking a lot less than a friction-only car. It's probably not inconceivable pads might last that long, depending on how it was driven.
I find the regen to be perfect for downhills, fills up that HV battery fast and holds you speed nicely.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,396 Posts
Not unusual for shops (or owners) to check brake pad thickness when rotating tires.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,654 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Looks normal to me.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L Hybrid
45 Posts
I recently bought a 2020 CRV Hybrid. Even when it was new I noticed that the finish on the rear brake disks was kind of rough. I have about 2500 miles on the car now and the front brake disks look really bad too, heavily pitted and rusting. Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like they were made from defective steel.
Overall I like the car with my main gripe being poor gas mileage. I'm getting between 32-34 MPG, much less than advertised.
I am also getting terrible 32-34 mpg right now. Back in the fall I was getting 40 mpg easy. I think it is due to a couple things: The cold weather and heater is causing the car to run the gas engine to heat the cabin. This is dropping the mileage, in the rain (which there is a ton of where I live right now) it kills mileage. The car and factory tires really experience a lot of drag in the rain. Back when the temperature was warmer the AC being electric did not drain nearly as much gas and I was getting 40 MPG easily. I suspect when it warms back up the mileage will return.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
969 Posts
I suspect when it warms back up the mileage will return.
It will. It was warmer here yesterday so I turned off the climate control system, and my mileage is back to almost 40. I was down to below 30 when I was using the heat a lot.
Other factors are winter blend fuel and snowy roads, both of which cut into your mileage.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
305 Posts
I think one of things hybrid owners are not rembering
You use the brakes a lot less than a normal car because of the regeneration
and if you think and look ahead hardly any use of the brakes whatsover
I live on the coast so my car operates in a salt laden environment. My previous car was parked up for three months and suffered premature brake disc corrosion resulting in a full set of replacement discs and pads. The garage explained that this was due to lack of use and that brakes needed to be worked regularly to remove surface rust from the discs before it takes hold.

I now consciously hard brake the car every time I use it as I hardly touch the brakes during normal use.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,438 Posts

·
The Enforcer
3,771 Posts
As my drive/parking space is level I just leave it in park and don't apply the Handbrake when I know I won't be usingit for a few days
Very good technique :)

Reactions: CRV4575

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L Hybrid
45 Posts
It will. It was warmer here yesterday so I turned off the climate control system, and my mileage is back to almost 40. I was down to below 30 when I was using the heat a lot.
Other factors are winter blend fuel and snowy roads, both of which cut into your mileage.
We must be in the same area as it got to 65 F yesterday on my way home and I got over 40 MPG.

I live on the coast so my car operates in a salt laden environment. My previous car was parked up for three months and suffered premature brake disc corrosion resulting in a full set of replacement discs and pads. The garage explained that this was due to lack of use and that brakes needed to be worked regularly to remove surface rust from the discs before it takes hold.

I now consciously hard brake the car every time I use it as I hardly touch the brakes during normal use.
Also if you are even a tiny bit mechanically savvy, changing disc brakes and rotors is ridiculously easy. Buying the pads and rotors yourself will save you $hundreds. Once you press in the caliper cylinders with a screwdriver or C clamp and take the calipers off the rotors literally slide out and new ones slide on. Pads cost more than rotors these days unless you buy crazy sport performance rotors which would make no sense on an SUV.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
969 Posts
We must be in the same area as it got to 65 F yesterday on my way home and I got over 40 MPG.
We were 65 yesterday, but that had nothing to do with the temperature, it was the wind speed.
If I could figure a way to step a mast on my CR-V I could probably break the sound barrier without burning any fuel.
The hybrid CAN achieve great mileage, but once you stray outside the conditions it's optimized for it suffers.
But that's OK with me, as long as I understand what's going on.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts