Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know this yet? Honda tend to put small tanks on their hybrids so effective range remains modest (unfortunately). Hope that is not the case for new 2020 hybrid CRV.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
:rolleyes:Folks with small bladders won't mind at all. I'm way more interested in MPG vs range.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,897 Posts
Anybody know this yet? Honda tend to put small tanks on their hybrids so effective range remains modest (unfortunately). Hope that is not the case for new 2020 hybrid CRV.
In Europe, the hybrid is speced with a 57 liter fuel tank on all trims and on both hybrid and 1.5T. This gives the hybrid a combined cruising range of over 600 miles on the EU versions.

Source:

In the US.. the actual fuel tank is a bit smaller (14 gal), but what they did in Europe indicates that they will use the same fuel tank for all trim levels and for both 1.5T and 2.0 hybrid. Which means the hybrid combined fuel economy will give it a full tank range of 575 miles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don’t think Honda has announced the epa mpg numbers for the hybrid yet. Williamsji, if you used the mpg numbers from the U.K. brochure, there are two problems: UK uses imperial gallons which are bigger. And their testing method is different than the epa method, which usually is more generous than the epa.
One report I read said Honda claimed the mpg rating will be 50% higher than the gas model. If that’s true, it would be great but based on the U.K. numbers it doesn’t look likely. Maybe there is another difference in the US model we don’t know about yet.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I don’t think Honda has announced the epa mpg numbers for the hybrid yet. Williamsji, if you used the mpg numbers from the U.K. brochure, there are two problems: UK uses imperial gallons which are bigger. And their testing method is different than the epa method, which usually is more generous than the epa.
One report I read said Honda claimed the mpg rating will be 50% higher than the gas model. If that’s true, it would be great but based on the U.K. numbers it doesn’t look likely. Maybe there is another difference in the US model we don’t know about yet.
I did not use the mpg numbers from the UK brochure.. I used the projected mpg numbers for the US version... which is reported to be low 40s (pending final epa numbers). Note: the Accord hybrid is 48/48/48 mpg (essentially the same hybrid powertrain) .... so low 40s sounds about right for a hybrid CRV... given sleightly worse aerodynamics, and AWD (Accord is FWD only).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Williamsji, I looked at the U.K. source you provided and it says combined mpg is 40.9 mpg or 5.7 l/100K. That equates to 34 mpg in US measurements (U.K. uses imperial gallons). I read news reports, like you, that say Honda claims the hybrid will get 50% better mpg combined driving than the gas model, which would make 40-45 us mpg, as you said. I’m hoping your guess and the reporter quote is accurate because 34mpg for a hybrid crv isn’t good enough for me.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Niro hybrid on a U.K. site and the combined mpg was 59. In USA gallons that makes 49mpg. The epa rates it at 50, so in this case the two rating systems seem very close.

Hopefully Honda has some tricks that will get their mpg up into the 40’s.

Anyone have new updates?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oops, I don’t know how to edit my previous post. The Honda hybrid crv U.K. mpg figure in liters/100k for combined driving is 6.9, not 5.7. That makes 34 mpg in US measure, as I said above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anything below 40 is going to be a hard sell for a hybrid. I doubt it’s under 40 mpg, and sure hope it’s not either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Williamsji, I looked at the U.K. source you provided and it says combined mpg is 40.9 mpg or 5.7 l/100K. That equates to 34 mpg in US measurements (U.K. uses imperial gallons). I read news reports, like you, that say Honda claims the hybrid will get 50% better mpg combined driving than the gas model, which would make 40-45 us mpg, as you said. I’m hoping your guess and the reporter quote is accurate because 34mpg for a hybrid crv isn’t good enough for me.

Out of curiosity, I checked the Niro hybrid on a U.K. site and the combined mpg was 59. In USA gallons that makes 49mpg. The epa rates it at 50, so in this case the two rating systems seem very close.

Hopefully Honda has some tricks that will get their mpg up into the 40’s.

Anyone have new updates?

As I stated earlier... in the US, the Accord Hybrid (which uses exactly the same hybrid power train) has an EPA rating of 48/48/48. So it is no stretch to expect the CRV Hybrid to be in the low 40s (probably 42 or 44) once the formal EPA submissions are completed. The CRV will have a bit less aerodynamic efficiency compared to the Accord, and it also is AWD.. whereas the Accord is FWD only. So seeing a loss of about 10% on the Accord numbers for the same Hybrid powertrain seems very reasonable to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In Europe, the hybrid is speced with a 57 liter fuel tank on all trims and on both hybrid and 1.5T. This gives the hybrid a combined cruising range of over 600 miles on the EU versions.

Source:

In the US.. the actual fuel tank is a bit smaller (14 gal), but what they did in Europe indicates that they will use the same fuel tank for all trim levels and for both 1.5T and 2.0 hybrid. Which means the hybrid combined fuel economy will give it a full tank range of 575 miles.
thanks - hope you are correct and they stay with the 14 gal tank.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I had the 1.5t and got 44mpg (UK), now I have the Hybrid and get 52mpg(UK). Certainly not 50% better.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,774 Posts
UK gallon is 4.5 liters. US gallon is 3.8 liters. So a little math is needed to adapt the mpg numbers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks lesisuk,
For those of us in the States, his U.K. mileage figures translate to:
36.6 mpg US with the 1.5t
43.3 mpg US with the hybrid.

Your hybrid mileage sounds good to me until I compare it with your gas figures. To average 36.6 you must be a very conservative driver. Assuming you drive your hybrid the same way, I doubt that most of us will do that well. Thanks for your input!
What about the drive characteristics of your hybrid vs the gas model? Any differences that you note?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Thanks lesisuk,
For those of us in the States, his U.K. mileage figures translate to:
36.6 mpg US with the 1.5t
43.3 mpg US with the hybrid.

Your hybrid mileage sounds good to me until I compare it with your gas figures. To average 36.6 you must be a very conservative driver. Assuming you drive your hybrid the same way, I doubt that most of us will do that well. Thanks for your input!
What about the drive characteristics of your hybrid vs the gas model? Any differences that you note?
36.6mpg (adjusted for US) is pretty high.. so that indicates a lot of highway miles, and few city miles + a soft foot on the throttle. I think they also run a higher octane in UK... so that may top it up some as well.

In a similar setup for the hybrid... the hybrid will not look as good as it does for the average US driver (which generally will see high 20s to low 30s for the most common mixed driving between highway and city).

Where the hybrid will really shine will be for people like me who do almost exclusively in town short trips... where I can achieve much better average mpg with the hybrid (just based on Accord numbers, since CRV official numbers are not published yet, and the Accord powertrain is essentially itentical). I would expect if I owned the hybrid, I would see low 40s mpg. With the 1.5T that I currently own.. I see low 20s... which is fairly typical for my style of driving.

Initially I was disappointed with low 20s on the 1.5T, then I went back and checked my fuel economy data for my 2008 and my actual mpg was almost exactly proportionally the same vs the EPA numbers for the 2008.. so I consider my results to be consistent and normal for my driving across two different generations of CRVs. Since then, I have seen essentially EPA numbers for long freeway trips... so.. city driving with short trips and a lot of starts and stops at intersections just sucks down the mpg.

Hybrids generally really shine for city driving conditions, and not so much for highway (though still generally better).

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
check the owners manual for these obvious questions
True, unless the question was posted here before the Hybrids were delivered to US dealers and thus, no owner's manual! :D

Reactions: Hybridnewbie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

I own a 2020 CRV Hybrid,

Q1. I know Honda says 14 gal fuel tank capacity, but my every refills takes only 12 gal (I always go for refills after the gas reserve indicator and range less than 10 miles) - anyone experienced the same? does it mean it holds 2 gals reserve capacity even after the estimated Range around 0 miles?

Q2. What's the Honda recommended/mandated maintenance schedules(months/miles) for every Engine oil change to keep the Honda's warranty active?

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,700 Posts
Topics merged 👍

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX-L Hybrid - Sonic Grey Pearl
135 Posts
Hello All,

I own a 2020 CRV Hybrid,

Q1. I know Honda says 14 gal fuel tank capacity, but my every refills takes only 12 gal (I always go for refills after the gas reserve indicator and range less than 10 miles) - anyone experienced the same? does it mean it holds 2 gals reserve capacity even after the estimated Range around 0 miles?

Q2. What's the Honda recommended/mandated maintenance schedules(months/miles) for every Engine oil change to keep the Honda's warranty active?
I too was wondering about the tank capacity for the same reason. I've gotten down to less than 5 miles left according to the "range indicator" on the cluster and filled up with slightly less than 12 gallons.

As far as the oil changes, just follow the maintenance minder as there is no set interval. The car's computer will tell you when the time is right and if you're a dealer only oil change kind of person, you can't go wrong with that method. The oil change light comes on at 20% oil life, I believe.... could be 15%, it's been a while. The fact is, the car will tell you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts