Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

541 - 560 of 597 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just back from the dealer and was able to close on a 2020 EX-L AWD CR-V today for a total of $29,210. That includes all dealer fees, tags and a $500 loyalty discount as well as all weather floor mats, a cargo tray, 2 years of free maintenance and vehicle delivery. That number does not include taxes.

Dealership

I ended up purchasing from the same dealer my wife bought her car from 2 years ago. I have no real preference to them but they do seem to offer the best price among local dealers. Pricing I got from all local dealers seemed to be based on their inventory and location. The Honda dealer in the nicer part of town with about 50 CR-Vs in stock wouldn't go below $30,000. The ones offering the best prices had 2x-4x more CR-V's in stock. Definitely a volume dealer. The CRV I got had 3 miles on it and still hadn't been through their prep process.

Price

Vehicle: $29,000 (includes $500 loyalty credit due to my wife's Honda though there are other incentives out there)
Dealer fee: $199
Tags: $11
Dealer add-ins: 2 years maintenance, all weather mats, cargo tray, vehicle delivery
Taxes: Paid later when I register the car

Total: $29,210

Sales

The sales process was easy. I had already emailed several dealers for their best prices, countered with what I wanted and the salesman from the place I bought at emailed me back saying he could make it work if I could come in today. Now I had hoped given there has been a pandemic going on most of the year that the dealers would have gotten their act together and streamlined the process or offered virtual "checkout" of sorts but instead I got to wait in the dealership for 3 hours after work despite having agreed on price before I walked inside. I would gladly have paid extra to not have to set foot in the dealership but sadly they still force you to come in so they can mess with you - which leads me to financing.

Financing

Worst part of the process. Now the salesman had 1 "issue" once I got in the dealership. He had told me the price over the phone and said I could also get the special 1.9% financing. Once I was in there he said his manager wouldn't let him give me both the price and the rate so I had to pick one or the other (scummy sales tactic #1 - bait and switch). A little shady on the sales manager's part but whatever - I wanted the low price since the loan can be re-fied or payed off early. But when I got into the financing office I was greeted with 2 monthly payment options that were tied to a 5 yr or 8 yr warranty, respectively (scummy sales tactic #2 - obscure the numbers that matter by focusing on monthly payment instead of financed amount and total finance charges). They hope you don't bother questioning the numbers and only decide on whether you're ok paying an extra $20/mo for a longer warranty. The gotcha is that the actual financed amount for the first number was over $30k. The finance guy had already decided (either on his own or with the sales managers push) to add an extended warranty into the deal. When I made him break down all of the numbers he claimed the salesman told him I wanted the 1.9% rate and an extended warranty - literally lying to my face (scummy sales tactic #3 - lie, and when caught, blame others). Had him re-do the paperwork with the number I had agreed on and ended up with a 4.5% rate. Had I not been in a hurry at this point (scummy sales tactic #4 - make the customer wait so they rush decisions at the end) I'd have walked, financed with PenFed and paid the extra couple hundred at another dealer. Oh, he also added in some random dealer accessories for another $300 that I hadn't asked for and weren't on the car when I test drove it an hour earlier.

Conclusion

Some parts of car buying still suck same as ever - in particular the waiting and the finance office games. Good deals can be had but you have to know exactly what you want and be ready to push back at every opportunity they will take to squeeze you for more. I hope that next time I have to buy the pressure from car makers like Tesla and pressure to offer virtual sales will have actually resulted in real change in the car-buying industry so we can purchase new cars online.

Good luck everyone!

·
Super Moderator
2,185 Posts
Thoma, thank you for your complete description of your experience! Hopefully, it will help at least ONE person when they shop. Isn't it a pity that buying a new car can often leave such a sour taste in our mouth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just back from the dealer and was able to close on a 2020 EX-L AWD CR-V today for a total of $29,210. That includes all dealer fees, tags and a $500 loyalty discount as well as all weather floor mats, a cargo tray, 2 years of free maintenance and vehicle delivery. That number does not include taxes.

Dealership

I ended up purchasing from the same dealer my wife bought her car from 2 years ago. I have no real preference to them but they do seem to offer the best price among local dealers. Pricing I got from all local dealers seemed to be based on their inventory and location. The Honda dealer in the nicer part of town with about 50 CR-Vs in stock wouldn't go below $30,000. The ones offering the best prices had 2x-4x more CR-V's in stock. Definitely a volume dealer. The CRV I got had 3 miles on it and still hadn't been through their prep process.

Price

Vehicle: $29,000 (includes $500 loyalty credit due to my wife's Honda though there are other incentives out there)
Dealer fee: $199
Tags: $11
Dealer add-ins: 2 years maintenance, all weather mats, cargo tray, vehicle delivery
Taxes: Paid later when I register the car

Total: $29,210

Sales

The sales process was easy. I had already emailed several dealers for their best prices, countered with what I wanted and the salesman from the place I bought at emailed me back saying he could make it work if I could come in today. Now I had hoped given there has been a pandemic going on most of the year that the dealers would have gotten their act together and streamlined the process or offered virtual "checkout" of sorts but instead I got to wait in the dealership for 3 hours after work despite having agreed on price before I walked inside. I would gladly have paid extra to not have to set foot in the dealership but sadly they still force you to come in so they can mess with you - which leads me to financing.

Financing

Worst part of the process. Now the salesman had 1 "issue" once I got in the dealership. He had told me the price over the phone and said I could also get the special 1.9% financing. Once I was in there he said his manager wouldn't let him give me both the price and the rate so I had to pick one or the other (scummy sales tactic #1 - bait and switch). A little shady on the sales manager's part but whatever - I wanted the low price since the loan can be re-fied or payed off early. But when I got into the financing office I was greeted with 2 monthly payment options that were tied to a 5 yr or 8 yr warranty, respectively (scummy sales tactic #2 - obscure the numbers that matter by focusing on monthly payment instead of financed amount and total finance charges). They hope you don't bother questioning the numbers and only decide on whether you're ok paying an extra $20/mo for a longer warranty. The gotcha is that the actual financed amount for the first number was over $30k. The finance guy had already decided (either on his own or with the sales managers push) to add an extended warranty into the deal. When I made him break down all of the numbers he claimed the salesman told him I wanted the 1.9% rate and an extended warranty - literally lying to my face (scummy sales tactic #3 - lie, and when caught, blame others). Had him re-do the paperwork with the number I had agreed on and ended up with a 4.5% rate. Had I not been in a hurry at this point (scummy sales tactic #4 - make the customer wait so they rush decisions at the end) I'd have walked, financed with PenFed and paid the extra couple hundred at another dealer. Oh, he also added in some random dealer accessories for another $300 that I hadn't asked for and weren't on the car when I test drove it an hour earlier.

Conclusion

Some parts of car buying still suck same as ever - in particular the waiting and the finance office games. Good deals can be had but you have to know exactly what you want and be ready to push back at every opportunity they will take to squeeze you for more. I hope that next time I have to buy the pressure from car makers like Tesla and pressure to offer virtual sales will have actually resulted in real change in the car-buying industry so we can purchase new cars online.

Good luck everyone!
Thank you for sharing! Can you please share the name of dealership?

·
Registered
26 Posts
2020 Honda CR-V, EX-L AWD, modern steel metallic. Purchase date: 9/29/2020, dealership: Pohanka Honda in Capitol Heights MD.
car & freight: $28,577
6% MD sales tax: 1744
Title, registration, tag fee: 300
dealer fee = 500
total balance: $31,120 (includes mud guards and wheel locks, I declined free Nitrogen)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I searched dealers in PA, DE, MD, VA. Dealers in MD give the lowest quotes, 1-2K lower compared to dealers in PA, DE, VA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2020 Honda CR-V, EX-L AWD, modern steel metallic. Purchase date: 9/29/2020, dealership: Pohanka Honda in Capitol Heights MD.
car & freight: $28,577
6% MD sales tax: 1744
Title, registration, tag fee: 300
dealer fee = 500
total balance: $31,120 (includes mud guards and wheel locks, I declined free Nitrogen)
Good job! Did you get 1.9%@60

·
Registered
26 Posts
No BS from this dealer, it was straight forward. Sales man asked me "on a scale of 1-10) what would you say your credit score is. I said between 9 and 10. He said, "ok, you'll get 1.9% 60 mon).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please put model of CRV, (LX, EX, EXL, Touring)

FWD or AWD and price you paid before any trade in is accounted for.

Power 1.5 T or hybrid

List dealer installed accessories separately.

Also keep Taxes title and fees separate.

List dealer, City, State where purchased

Picture of your new ride is encouraged.
2020 Hybrid Touring
AWD
$33,470 (no trade in)
List dealer installed accessories: “Honda Protection Package” consisting of window tint, wheel locks, pin stripes, mud guard, trunk-cargo tray and door edge guard.
TT&L as shown on attached ( over $2,500)
Dallas Texas

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
2020 Hybrid Touring
AWD
$33,470 (no trade in)
List dealer installed accessories: “Honda Protection Package” consisting of window tint, wheel locks, pin stripes, mud guard, trunk-cargo tray and door edge guard.
TT&L as shown on attached ( over $2,500)
Dallas Texas
That's a great price for a Hybrid Touring, I think a record in this forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased 2020 Honda Touring AWD black/grey today from Honda of Chantilly VA for $32,613 OTD. No trade in and got 1.9% financing. Cost break down is as follows:

Vehicle Price $31,255
Processing Fee $899
Taxes $1352
TTL $107
Loyalty + Military Incentives ($1000)

OTD => $32,613

Thank you to others who have posted their purchases it always makes it easier to determine a fair price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Purchased 2020 Honda Touring AWD black/grey today from Honda of Chantilly VA for $32,613 OTD. No trade in and got 1.9% financing. Cost break down is as follows:

Vehicle Price $31,255
Processing Fee $899
Taxes $1352
TTL $107
Loyalty + Military Incentives ($1000)

OTD => $32,613

Thank you to others who have posted their purchases it always makes it easier to determine a fair price.
Great price! Congrats

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's great to hear! We did our negotiating/financing 100% from home and had it delivered to our house, which was so nice. I'm guessing we could have probably haggled the price down another $750-$1000 but with the home delivery and our pleasant salesman we thought it was a fair price. The only time we went to the dealer was to test drive the CRV (and also a Odyssey) they had them pulled up ready to test. Almost like rolling out the red carpet for us.

I'm also a believer that if you leave a little on the front end you get a easier finance experience on the back end with them not needing to be so aggressive to make up some profit.

Off topic but are you going to shop around for a extended warranty?
True! I didn't know you could ask them to deliver the car to your house. Wish I knew. Anyway, I'm not sure we have leverage shopping for the extended warranty now... after we bought the car. But I'll try to see if i could get a good price.

541 - 560 of 597 Posts