Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

621 - 640 of 679 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
I'm gonna go on a limb here and say no. Why would anyone include tax when comparing prices on an internet forum? It's a useless value, unless you live in the same city and have no trade-in.
But they do it anyway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m looking at buying a 2020 CR-V EX-L AWD here in the Pacific Northwest. MSRP is $32,770. Best price I’ve found yet is $29,812 after all dealer and Honda discounts plus a documentation fee of $150. Financing is 1.9%. After reading this thread, it looks like I could do better. I only want the black leather interior, so that limits my exterior color choices. Looking for other people’s input. Thanks!
In Washington state? I got a black interior.

I didn't do much negotiating but South Tacoma Honda quoted me 29,698 and Capitol City of Honda offered to go 250 lower. I used that to take 250 of South Tacoma's price and he discounted the 500 Conquest. Adding the dealer fee 152.5 and new car prep fee of 199 it would bring the cost to 29,299 (i have a previous post of the info). I probably could have gone elsewhere to bring down the price but it was my first car buying experience. PM me if you have questions.

·
Registered
2015 CRV AWD EX-L, 2020 CRV AWD Hybrid Touring
44 Posts
Why would anyone include tax when comparing prices on an internet forum? It's a useless value, unless you live in the same city and have no trade-in.
Right, reporting only OTD pricing really doesn't tell much what the market is. Itemize your stuff folks!

·
Registered
2009 Honda Ridgeline, 2020 CRV EXL
8 Posts
Here is the deal we got:

2020 EXL AWD MSRP $32,770

negotiated price - $29,890

Less conquest discount - $29,390

PA sales tax 6% - $1,763

Doc fee, title, etc - $501

$31,654 OTD

Also got the 1.9% financing
Missed getting the loyalty discount by 1 year

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is the deal we got:

PA sales tax 6% - $1,763

$31,654 OTD

I’m just curious about the conquest discount. Is that for owning a car other than a Honda? You said you missed the loyalty discount by one year. Could you have gotten both the conquest and the loyalty discount if you own a Honda plus another car that’s not a Honda? Thanks so much for providing your negotiated price. It’s really helpful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here is the deal we got:

PA sales tax 6% - $1,763

$31,654 OTD

(Borat voice) VERY NICE!

Well done!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m just curious about the conquest discount. Is that for owning a car other than a Honda? You said you missed the loyalty discount by one year. Could you have gotten both the conquest and the loyalty discount if you own a Honda plus another car that’s not a Honda? Thanks so much for providing your negotiated price. It’s really helpful.
The conquest discount is if you own another car brand. There is a list of qualifying vehicles in the fine print. You can double up on the discounts. The Honda loyalty discount applies to 2010 & newer Honda vehicles. We have a 2009 Ridgeline. You can also get the 1.9% financing on top of that. I believe the current incentives expire 11/1

·
Registered
60 Posts
(Borat voice) VERY NICE!

Well done!
I got my 2020 EXL AWD for about $29,300 including BS dealer add-ons and before title and taxes. I personally think you might be able to get 3 or 4 hundred lower but depends on how much time you're willing to spend. This was in Northern VA just prior to COVID so things may be different now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my 2020 EXL AWD for about $29,300 including BS dealer add-ons and before title and taxes. I personally think you might be able to get 3 or 4 hundred lower but depends on how much time you're willing to spend. This was in Northern VA just prior to COVID so things may be different now.
I agree with that. Timing has a lot to do with the process also.

I know we could have spent more time negotiating and possibly got a better price, however we were stuck for a couple weeks with only 1 vehicle after the wife totaled our other car. I researched a good price, then negotiated up from a lower one. Once the dealer reached what I wanted we closed the deal. We were also worried that 2020 inventory may start to get lean.
Timing, dealer stock, and location mean a lot. We only have 2 dealers I consider "local". Luckily one had a bunch of CRV's in stock and it's near the end of the month. We ended up buying there. The closest dealer would not negotiate more than a small discount.
Bought my truck 1 1/2 hrs away and didn't really like the distance factor. If none of the locals would've negotiated, I would've tried that route again.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX-L AWD
1 Posts
Here is the deal we got:

PA sales tax 6% - $1,763

$31,654 OTD

Nice price! Can you share the name of the dealership?

·
Registered
58 Posts
That was a super deal and I think the stars lined up for you. You are in that 5% of the best deals because regardless of how good at negotiating you are, like Jakeman said, it has a lot to do with timing. Some dealers are more willing to negotiate when others are not, and when one of them is particularly desperate to sell a vehicle and you walk into the door, then you walk out with a super low price.

I guess the trick is just shopping around until you find that hungry dealer and then nibble away at the fees and add-ons, at which point, if the dealer is willing enough to sell, they price those out of the final sale anyway. It probably has to do if they are 1 car away from meeting a month end quota or something along those lines, if you're that guy to push the quota over, and the dealer gets a discount on the next batch of cars, then its worth selling at a loss.

I have worked with many dealers, face to face and online / email. Some salesmen outright said to buy at another dealer because they can't match or beat my price. Almost got kicked out of one lol, but I love the negotiation of it all. When the sales department gets challenged by a person that knows what they are talking about they will most likely freak out or if they are smart, work with you because you know what a good price is and will get a car from somewhere for a deal so it might as well be them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid, Lunar Silver Metallic, Purchased in Oregon on Oct 30, 2020
MSRP: $37,170 Invoice: $34,941.41

Negotiated Price: $34,941.41

Added Accessories:
All Season Floor Mats: No charge
Cargo Tray for Hybrid: No charge

Total Vehicle + Accessories: $34,941.41

Oregon State:
Title Fee: $103
Registration, plates and 4 year tabs: $288.50
Oregon Privilege Tax (If we can afford a new car then we are "Privileged" and must be taxed): $174.71
Oregon Corporate Activity Tax (which gets passed on the the customer for some reason): $199.17

Total State Tax and Fees: $765.38

Dealer Doc Fee:
$150

Total out the Door: $35,856.79

What do dealers charge for the All Season Floor Mats and Cargo Tray for Hybrid?

I figure that with the included accessories I came in at least $300 under invoice.

The dealer got to keep most of his Holdback and Factory Floorplan Assistance money, so it was a win/win.

Edit: No Honda incentives, rebates or a trade in. Paid the taxes, fees and 20% of the sales price up front, the rest at 1.9% for five years through Honda.

·
Registered
58 Posts
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid, Lunar Silver Metallic, Purchased in Oregon on Oct 30, 2020
MSRP: $37,170 Invoice: $34,941.41

Negotiated Price: $34,941.41

Added Accessories:
All Season Floor Mats: No charge
Cargo Tray for Hybrid: No charge

Total Vehicle + Accessories: $34,941.41

Oregon State:
Title Fee: $103
Registration, plates and 4 year tabs: $288.50
Oregon Privilege Tax (If we can afford a new car then we are "Privileged" and must be taxed): $174.71
Oregon Corporate Activity Tax (which gets passed on the the customer for some reason): $199.17

Total State Tax and Fees: $765.38

Dealer Doc Fee:
$150

Total out the Door: $35,856.79

I figure that with the included accessories I came in at least $300 under invoice.

The dealer got to keep most of his Holdback and Factory Floorplan Assistance money, so it was a win/win.
That's an awesome deal!

·
Registered
2015 CRV AWD EX-L, 2020 CRV AWD Hybrid Touring
44 Posts
I bought my All Season Matts and Cargo Tray for My Hybrid for $271 from my dealer.

Scroll back a page to see my deal (click here), did a little better than you, but had $500 Honda Loyalty Incentive. I think we were pretty close to the same factoring in the all season mats.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought my All Season Matts and Cargo Tray for My Hybrid for $271 from my dealer.

Scroll back a page to see my deal (click here), did a little better than you, but had $500 Honda Loyalty Incentive. I think we were pretty close to the same factoring in the all season mats.
The Pacific Northwest is crazy for Hybrids! Most new Hondas sold as soon as they hit the lot. We wanted a Hybrid EX-L, but the only dealer that had one in stock was asking $4000 over MSRP. All of the local dealers with EX Hybrids would only drop $500 off MSRP. I got a few down to $30,000 for the EX, but they were over 200 miles away.

I sent emails Thursday night asking for best offers. Friday morning my wife woke up and asked me "Where are we going today?" I had to say I don't know, I have to check my email. I was working the final two dealers up until Noon. Both dealers said that they could not go under $35,000 until I pointed out that "there are a bunch of Hybrid Tourings that have sitting on lots for over two months" and I would really like to help them out by taking it off their hands before the end of October. We had not intended to buy a Touring, but I am glad that we did.

I think that the November of 2016 was still fresh in the dealers minds VIDEO: Anarchists damage cars at Portland dealership

621 - 640 of 679 Posts