Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 180 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not to derail this since it's a purchase-price thread, but why buy the hybrid at a premium cost? If anything, they should give a gov't rebate for buying a car that is more environmentally friendly. Maybe in 5-10 years when the batteries are even more efficient and bringing the price down.

I thought hard about it myself when I bought my 2020 EX-L AWD a couple months ago. I paid $3,868 under MSRP (not counting TTLD). If you are telling me the hybrid version of this is going to cost $1400 more than MSRP to start with and get less of a discount on the purchase price, say $1000 off MSRP, that would make it over $4200 more. Divided over 8 years of ownership, that's about $44/mo extra per month.

Now, if you get 50% more MPG each month compared to the gas version, that's where you hope to come ahead, right? Well, assume 1000 miles per month and pay an average of $3.00/gal (after this pandemic ends). The gas version at 27 mpg costs $111/mo in gas. The hybrid version at 40 mpg would cost $75/mo in gas. Right there that just about washes out the added cost of the hybrid, but no cost savings at all!

So other than being more green (which of course is a good thing), why bother with the hybrid versions of the CR-V? I don't see it as being more cost effective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Test drove the EX-L Hybrid last week. I haven't driven a hybrid car before so the experience was quite different. The car was quite below 20mph and sudden surge of noise from the gasoline engine. However I felt the electric motor provides ample low end torque. My local dealer provide me the following number

MSRP : 33,790 (Not quite sure)
Sell price : 30,000
Accessories : 350
plus tax and title.
Total OTD comes around : 32,300.
Should I consider take this deal ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to derail this since it's a purchase-price thread, but why buy the hybrid at a premium cost? If anything, they should give a gov't rebate for buying a car that is more environmentally friendly. Maybe in 5-10 years when the batteries are even more efficient and bringing the price down.

I thought hard about it myself when I bought my 2020 EX-L AWD a couple months ago. I paid $3,868 under MSRP (not counting TTLD). If you are telling me the hybrid version of this is going to cost $1400 more than MSRP to start with and get less of a discount on the purchase price, say $1000 off MSRP, that would make it over $4200 more. Divided over 8 years of ownership, that's about $44/mo extra per month.

Now, if you get 50% more MPG each month compared to the gas version, that's where you hope to come ahead, right? Well, assume 1000 miles per month and pay an average of $3.00/gal (after this pandemic ends). The gas version at 27 mpg costs $111/mo in gas. The hybrid version at 40 mpg would cost $75/mo in gas. Right there that just about washes out the added cost of the hybrid, but no cost savings at all!

So other than being more green (which of course is a good thing), why bother with the hybrid versions of the CR-V? I don't see it as being more cost effective.
I do not want the GDI Turbo with its oil dilution problems. Also, they give you some more features included in the Hybrid.

·
Registered
2016 Civc EX, 2020 CR-V EX Hybrid
37 Posts
Test drove the EX-L Hybrid last week. I haven't driven a hybrid car before so the experience was quite different. The car was quite below 20mph and sudden surge of noise from the gasoline engine. However I felt the electric motor provides ample low end torque. My local dealer provide me the following number

MSRP : 33,790 (Not quite sure)
Sell price : 30,000
Accessories : 350
plus tax and title.
Total OTD comes around : 32,300.
Should I consider take this deal ?
Looks like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an offer for an EX-L Hybrid for $31,900 including destination (I’m in Ky.). MSRP is $33,870, and according to CarQuotes, invoice is $31,852. Think it’s a fair deal?
I just looked up the invoice according to one of my sources, invoice for an EX-L is $30735.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I my self am looking at getting a 2020 CRV Hybrid Touring, I did some research and contacted a paid online car buying advice site, these were the results.

2020 CRV Hybrid Touring:

MSRP $37070

Retail Invoice Price of $33950

Dealer Invoice Price of $31853

2% Dealer Drawback of $31853 = $31215

What do you think if I start at $30,000, email and phone methods?

Is this a good deal or outrageous? I'll keep everyone updated.

No Dealer incentives for the Hybrids that I could find, I am not a previous Honda Owner either.

It seems to be difficult to get actual invoice pricing from any free online source, did I get suckered out of $40? Maybe this is worth it because it will save me some time and research on finding where to start negotiating and get to the point without haggling too much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I my self am looking at getting a 2020 CRV Hybrid Touring, I did some research and contacted a paid online car buying advice site, these were the results.

2020 CRV Hybrid Touring:

MSRP $37070

Retail Invoice Price of $33950

Dealer Invoice Price of $31853

2% Dealer Drawback of $31853 = $31215

What do you think if I start at $30,000, email and phone methods?

Is this a good deal or outrageous? I'll keep everyone updated.

No Dealer incentives for the Hybrids that I could find, I am not a previous Honda Owner either.

It seems to be difficult to get actual invoice pricing from any free online source, did I get suckered out of $40? Maybe this is worth it because it will save me some time and research on finding where to start negotiating and get to the point without haggling too much.
I don't know where you got your invoice prices from, but I've never seen an invoice price anywhere this low compared to MSRP. Typically, the MSRP is a 5-6% markup from invoice, so if the car is listed for $37,000 then I would expect an invoice to be around $35,000. Also, what is a retail vs dealer invoice price? Never heard of this (and I have family who have worked at dealerships for decades). I also see you mention a drawback and list it as 2%. Do you mean a holdback? Honda does typically do a 1.5-2.5% holdback, depending on the model, but I've never seen or heard it referred to as a drawback.

I think that if you offer $30,000 on a $37,000 car, you will be laughed at, if even responded to at all.

Make sure you're also looking at the right invoice. The invoice you quote above may be for an EX-L AWD, but not a Hybrid Touring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
According to Car Quotes, dealer invoice on a Touring Hybrid is $34,848
Ok, so I was pretty close, then. But there is no way a dealership will accept a $30,000 offer on a $37,000 CR-V hybrid that just came on the market (and that some markets are actually marking UP).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know where you got your invoice prices from, but I've never seen an invoice price anywhere this low compared to MSRP. Typically, the MSRP is a 5-6% markup from invoice, so if the car is listed for $37,000 then I would expect an invoice to be around $35,000. Also, what is a retail vs dealer invoice price? Never heard of this (and I have family who have worked at dealerships for decades). I also see you mention a drawback and list it as 2%. Do you mean a holdback? Honda does typically do a 1.5-2.5% holdback, depending on the model, but I've never seen or heard it referred to as a drawback.

I think that if you offer $30,000 on a $37,000 car, you will be laughed at, if even responded to at all.

Make sure you're also looking at the right invoice. The invoice you quote above may be for an EX-L AWD, but not a Hybrid Touring.
You are correct, I meant holdback not drawback.

I am not certain of the difference between the two invoice types, I will have to check with my source again.

I am prepared to be laughed at, in fact I'm looking forward to it! I am blasting out a dozen or so emails to various dealerships quoting those invoice prices and requesting competitive and itemized offers in response. We'll see which internet marketing department is worth their salt

I will update everyone once I find out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, so I was pretty close, then. But there is no way a dealership will accept a $30,000 offer on a $37,000 CR-V hybrid that just came on the market (and that some markets are actually marking UP).
Yeah I think $30k is a bit low, I abandoned that amount and have generously increased my starting point to $31k. I'll let you know what response I get from this email blast of dealerships. How low WILL they go!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I think $30k is a bit low, I abandoned that amount and have generously increased my starting point to $31k. I'll let you know what response I get from this email blast of dealerships. How low WILL they go!?
I don't think they will go too low, for several reasons. 1. it's a new version that just came out 6 weeks ago. 2. The plant in Ohio has been shut down, so no new cars being produced means that what little supply is out there, is what there is. 3. Demand isn't that high right now due to stay at home orders and many, many people losing their jobs (or fearing losing their jobs).

The supply and demand curves have not moved in a way that makes it favorable for manufacturers to incentivize the hell out of their cars yet. Some dealerships may become desperate for some sales, but these will be few and far between (especially with manufacturers giving dealerships a waiver for cars on their lots for 60 days).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will be interesting to see what kind of response you get. I worked with six different dealers for a CR-V hybrid and they went from MSRP to a little below invoice. Dealers don't have their usual incentives of up to $1500 on hybirds so they are less able to give big discounts. And the other incentives ($1000 loyalty award, $500 conquest award) do not apply to hybrids. Given that the hybrid is $1200 more than the non-hybrid to begin with, there could be about $3K difference.

A few dealers I talked to were still confident that when people were able to buy again the hybrid would sell very well, so they weren't dealing aggressively.

Let us know how it goes. And where are you located?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
...I abandoned that amount and have generously increased my starting point to $31k. ...
Wow! "generously"? Really? Guess you are not really expecting to buy a CR-V Hybrid anytime soon...at least that would be my feelings if I was a dealer receiving your emailed offer. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you get a response? In my experience, dealerships typically answer within an hour on a weekday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will be interesting to see what kind of response you get. I worked with six different dealers for a CR-V hybrid and they went from MSRP to a little below invoice. Dealers don't have their usual incentives of up to $1500 on hybirds so they are less able to give big discounts. And the other incentives ($1000 loyalty award, $500 conquest award) do not apply to hybrids. Given that the hybrid is $1200 more than the non-hybrid to begin with, there could be about $3K difference.

A few dealers I talked to were still confident that when people were able to buy again the hybrid would sell very well, so they weren't dealing aggressively.

Let us know how it goes. And where are you located?
Excellent points about the lack of incentives, gotta maximize the new model sales right?

I am located in Northern OH but don't mind driving to MI or IN.

So far I have gotten one dealer to $34900 and am working my way from there.

1 Dealer won't even budge, but then again they still have new 2018 models on their lot, so obviously they are masters at negotiation.

BobGates, what was your offer under invoice?

·
Registered
17 Posts
See my post #146 earlier in this thread for my experience.
Wow, well done. My retail invoice for the EX Hybrid is $30260, so they went below AND gave you the roof rack. Nice.

I think a lot of dealers know what they have and like mentioned before, supply is not keeping up with demand even with the current situation. Some dealers told me they are selling them before they arrive on the truck and others are holding onto the 1 they have on the lot.

Production ramps up on 5/11 or so and new deliveries by June. I don't mind waiting untill the end of the year, my old GM is still putting along! Still going to keep negotiating and searching. I'll keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, well done. My retail invoice for the EX Hybrid is $30260, so they went below AND gave you the roof rack. Nice.
I think invoice on the EX hybrid is $29,521 so with the roof rails I paid just about invoice. But I got at least $500 more on my trade than other dealers had offered, so I'm satisfied.

161 - 180 of 238 Posts