Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Touring which, of course, does not have a CD player. I don't listen to them very often so it's not a big deal. But, is there a way I can take an old CD Walkman and use an adapter to use either bluetooth or a USB port to play CD's through the system?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You could but it's difficult - there was a post on reddit about this a while ago.

It's going to be much easier to rip the disc to a computer and throw the files on a phone or old iPod.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There are a bunch of posts on this here. I just keep my music on my Android phone, which has a 200 Gb microSD card in it. I use DoubleTwist app, on computer and phone, to synch files with iTunes. It automatically converts them from m4p to mp3 and loads them right up. I use the app to do touch music navigation. Works great. In my '07, I just connect through the AUX port, but it works just as well with USB. Also, no limits. 2,500 [email protected] (192k in mp3). Let us know what you do and how it works out for you.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
I'd suggest looking at the specific abilities (specifications) for the year / model / head unit in your vehicle, before attempting any round'a'bout way to accomplish this.

Your head unit, according to Hondas information, should be able to play WAV files. That's what CD files are, WAV. It's a lossless format and thus the same quality sound as a CD, I mean, it's the exact same digital information, but it's being read and decoded from a usb drive and headunit as opposed to a cd player.

The only thing you really have to do, because the HU can read WAV, is to 'rip' the cd's to WAV files, then put them on a USB stick, plug it in, and the HU should recognize them and play them.

My HU doesn't read WAV (and the specifications don't indicate it should either), so I can't test if for you. But here's a link to a WAV I created that you can use to download and test if it works: Click the 3 dots to download if your browser brings up a music player.

let us know if it works, Cheers

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
320 kbps mp3 is perfectly fine for in-car use. Do not react to hi-fi guys blahblah about low quality. No-one can hear the difference in a factory car. If they claim to be able to then it's just a religious rant.

Rip your CDs into mp3s, organize them on separate thumb drives if you like and you're good. Much better than messing with AUX cables.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Actually, the human ear cannot detect any difference above 192k. 320k is kind of overkill, but I've been considering re-ripping all my discs for a new master backup library at 320k rather than the 256k I have now. It's always easy to go down from there, but you cannot go up.

Also, my setup with an AUX cable worked great on my old F250 and still as good on the CR-V. The problem with USB drives is that the head unit will not see more than a maximum number of files. My phone, with it's 200 Gb microSD card, has 2,500 albums on it, in order, and all are equally accessible using the phone app and touchscreen. If I want to go to 320k I can and still have room for all of it. No limits on number of files, like the limits you have with USB drives. And the sound is the same - it's digital and doesn't care whether it's coming through USB or AUX. I can also connect the phone via USB instead of AUX but on a late model head unit I'd be facing those limits. A 999 file limit (or any limit) is too small for me. I like mine better. Do I need to carry it all around? No. But I can.

Hopefully, before long the head unit makers will start to upgrade the memory (which is way cheaper nowadays) and those limits will fade away. But, by then I will probably have made a playlist of select "road music," and won't carry it all around any more in the car. But I still have it all on the computer, which is connected to high end audio, for home use.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
We always get the same comments in these threads :) It's kind of funny that way... kind of.

I think it's important to remember this is subjective, and sound quality will depend on the quality of the HU and speakers and woofer, your hearing ability, in addition to the file type (lossless or lossy).

I believe I can hear a difference between mp3 (on usb) and flac (over BT in my case) on my system (ex-l 7 speakers). It's not a massive difference but the highs and lows are slightly better defined. You can try to argue someone is wrong about that, but it's almost certainly not going to accomplish anything, as it's individual perception.

So what's needed in a car? but isn't that also an individual thing? Sure, you can have your own opinion, but remember what they say about opinions? Live and let live, why try to force your opinion on everyone else? You're an expert for you, but not for everyone.

cheers

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Live and let live, why try to force your opinion on everyone else? You're an expert for you, but not for everyone.
Nope, can't allow that. As long as there are suggestions to go with boxes full of SACD ("because nothing else will ever sound good enough") or FM adapter (the lowest possible form of music transmission) someone has to do it. I know it's like arguing over the existence of God but I'm ready. Been through worse. Like people willing to bet houses on their "ability" to hear the difference between a factory pressed CD and a burnt copy. There's not enough evil in me to take their house. It's just wrong.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
Nope, can't allow that. As long as there are suggestions to go with boxes full of SACD ("because nothing else will ever sound good enough") or FM adapter (the lowest possible form of music transmission) someone has to do it. I know it's like arguing over the existence of God but I'm ready. Been through worse. Like people willing to bet houses on their "ability" to hear the difference between a factory pressed CD and a burnt copy. There's not enough evil in me to take their house. It's just wrong.
Pointing out to someone that fm modulation is a horrible way to accomplish something when there are easier ways is, imho, a good thing to do, it helps educate / inform people.

But disparaging people because they believe they can hear a difference with higher quality HU / file format / speakers is just flat out stupid. It's ignorant and uncalled for, and totally unnecessary. I think an inability to let others live their own lives (and beliefs) is an indication of an authoritarian personality. It's someone who wants to be a dictator. Those people are at the bottom of my list to ever associate with, in any way.

I'll say it again, you know what's right for you, but that doesn't mean you know what's right for everyone else.

cheers

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
But disparaging people because they believe they can hear a difference with higher quality HU / file format / speakers is just flat out stupid. It's ignorant and uncalled for, and totally unnecessary. I think an inability to let others live their own lives (and beliefs) is an indication of an authoritarian personality. It's someone who wants to be a dictator. Those people are at the bottom of my list to ever associate with, in any way.

I'll say it again, you know what's right for you, but that doesn't mean you know what's right for everyone else.
Look up "demagogue".

Beliefs are okay. You can believe you can bend spoons with your mind but as soon as you tell others they can too someone needs to stop your train. That's not a dictatorship, that's a fact based world for common good.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
Look up "demagogue".

Beliefs are okay. You can believe you can bend spoons with your mind but as soon as you tell others they can too someone needs to stop your train. That's not a dictatorship, that's a fact based world for common good.
Hahaha, so you're basically saying beliefs are okay, so long as they're the same as mine are. That's pathetic, on ignore.

C ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Your head unit, according to Hondas information, should be able to play WAV files. That's what CD files are, WAV. It's a lossless format and thus the same quality sound as a CD, I mean, it's the exact same digital information, but it's being read and decoded from a usb drive and headunit as opposed to a cd player.
The only thing you really have to do, because the HU can read WAV, is to 'rip' the cd's to WAV files, then put them on a USB stick, plug it in, and the HU should recognize them and play them.
You don't rip .wav files to put them onto a drive as .wav files. They already are .wav files. You can just drag them over or copy/paste. But why would anyone do this? Rip them down to 256k or even 192k and then put them on the drive. This way you get many more files per drive, and don't need to carry fifty drives around, which is not really better than fifty discs. And they sound just as good, since the human ear cannot perceive the difference (actual scientific fact, not opinion). This is our first clue to your audio expertise.

320 kbps mp3 is perfectly fine for in-car use. Do not react to hi-fi guys blahblah about low quality. No-one can hear the difference in a factory car. If they claim to be able to then it's just a religious rant.
True. In a CR-V, you will be hearing road and engine noise, the wind, and other misc. sound along with your music. So, even if there was a perceptible sound quality difference (related to compression), the most discerning ear wouldn't likely hear it. I can hear the church organ in the background now.

We always get the same comments in these threads :) It's kind of funny that way... kind of.

I think it's important to remember this is subjective, and sound quality will depend on the quality of the HU and speakers and woofer, your hearing ability, in addition to the file type (lossless or lossy).

I believe I can hear a difference between mp3 (on usb) and flac (over BT in my case) on my system (ex-l 7 speakers). It's not a massive difference but the highs and lows are slightly better defined. You can try to argue someone is wrong about that, but it's almost certainly not going to accomplish anything, as it's individual perception.

So what's needed in a car? but isn't that also an individual thing? Sure, you can have your own opinion, but remember what they say about opinions? Live and let live, why try to force your opinion on everyone else? You're an expert for you, but not for everyone.
We do sometimes get the tired rant of the self-professed audiophile who can hear the scientifically impossible, even in a car. I am no audiophile, but when I'm at home, I have the choice of whether I listen to the Duke on Gold UltraDisc or just the .mp3 files. I usually just listen to the .mp3 files, because even through my Stax Earspeakers or my Sennheiser 650's I can't really tell the difference. And that's at home, where there is no road or wind noise, or $5 OEM door speakers, or 29 cent DAC in the head unit. The way I see it, the purity of the feeling I get drifting in the sound is the important part. And that comes from the sound I can hear, not the sound I can't hear.

Of course, I am planning an audio upgrade to my CR-V soon, but that's because I know I'll be able to hear the difference. But that difference will come from the hardware, not the software. Regardless, there is a definite difference between science and opinion. It's when your opinion attempts to overrule the science that we see your "expertise" clearly.

Hahaha, so you're basically saying beliefs are okay, so long as they're the same as mine are. That's pathetic, on ignore.
Well, the real truth, as we all know, is that there is no spoon. :) There is also no truth to the idea that the human ear can hear things beyond it's capabilities. Claims to the contrary have never been documented and cannot be proven. Of course, you are certainly free to espouse your own personal perception. when it comes to your own ears. But you cannot prove it is so. Rudely calling others stupid for pointing this out does nothing to advance your cause. It so happens I am an expert, as I raised a deaf child, and have much experience with scientific testing of hearing, and I can tell you that it is quite real, and extremely accurate. And this just my opinion, but putting someone on ignore is the coward's way out, because it just shows you can't take the pressure and stay in it. I'd encourage you to stay in it, and let him stay in it too - that's only fair. How do I know this? Well, you could ask mrtn, for one. He and I have certainly had some lively discussions in the past. But I totally respect him, because he doesn't back down, and always has a real contribution. If you choose to take the liberal's way out, you are only hurting yourself, and not earning yourself much respect, at that. As a moderator, my advice would be to relax, don't take things personal, simply participate, and let everyone else do the same. Keep it calm. This is not debate team, and if it was, you wouldn't make the first cut. There are some folks here who can and will steamroll you. Ask mrtn how I know. Let's all try to keep it civil so we can enjoy it equally.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
165 Posts
You don't rip .wav files to put them onto a drive as .wav files. They already are .wav files. You can just drag them over or copy/paste. But why would anyone do this? Rip them down to 256k or even 192k and then put try to keep it civil so we can enjoy it equally.
Wow, totally and completely misinterpreting. The point of saying 'ripping' is to simply convey the files can be taken from the cd and put on a usb drive. WTF is wrong with that?

And the point of the hearing thing is simply some people upgrade stereo's and speakers and add sub amps for better sound. They also use lossless formats over lossy as they believe they can hear a difference... WTF is wrong with that?

Maybe Crutchfield and others should just go out of business as according to you 'you can't hear a difference'?

I'm just dumbfounded by comments like these, completely and totally lost.

I"m out, not more input from me, read only from now on, if that. What a waste.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Wow, totally and completely misinterpreting. The point of saying 'ripping' is to simply convey the files can be taken from the cd and put on a usb drive. WTF is wrong with that?
Well, everything?

I quote:
To rip the contents out of a container is different from simply copying the whole container or a file.

And the point of the hearing thing is simply some people upgrade stereo's and speakers and add sub amps for better sound. They also use lossless formats over lossy as they believe they can hear a difference... WTF is wrong with that?
As I said previously, there's nothing wrong in believing something. Except they can't hear the difference and this is the important part of the formula. It's okay to do everything in your power to create the best audio environment for your needs and enjoy it. But this is subjective and needs to be communicated as such.

Maybe Crutchfield and others should just go out of business as according to you 'you can't hear a difference'?
How is that even relevant? Crutchfield is an audio hardware retailer. There's a noticeable difference between low quality hardware and similar spec high quality hardware. But regardless how much you pay for your grocery getter's speakers and amps you'll not hear the difference between the CD and a 320 kbps compressed digital file.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts

Misinterpreting? Nope. The term ripping is specifically and only used to describe the digital conversion process from one resolution/format to another. The .wav file is the basic original digital file format the music comes as. Simply moving it to another storage location, without converting it to another form, is not ripping. It is just moving/copying/transferring. Ripping does not move files, it changes their form and size. It literally means ripping the file apart and changing it.

They also use lossless formats over lossy as they believe they can hear a difference... WTF is wrong with that?

These days 192k, 256k, or 320k, etc, resolution, or other forms such as FLAC, etc., are used. You stated that you can hear a difference between .mp3 and FLAC. You cannot tell a 192k file from a FLAC file. The human ear cannot do it. That's the science part. The compression algorithms are specifically designed to remove only data that is out of human hearing range.

We weren't talking about the hardware, just the software.

I'm just dumbfounded by comments like these, completely and totally lost.

I"m out, not more input from me, read only from now on, if that. What a waste.
If your head unit can play digital music files of any type, it can play .wav files. It has to do with the way the processor works. If it couldn't process the .wav files, it would also be unable to process all other sound formats.

No one accused you of any heinous crimes. You simply made some erroneous statements, and then decided to argue about them. We simply chose to differ. That does not make a bad guy out of you or us. It's just communication. You can certainly choose to pick up your marbles and go home if you want to, but it won't be on our account.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
413 Posts
Apologies for hijacking this post but to be fair it has deviated here and there so hopefully I'll be forgiven and my query is vaguely connected regarding the 2020 head unit.

My Gen 5 has 9 speakers and a subwoofer (apparently) fitted as standard. With this level of hardware and I'm not taking quality I'm talking quantity I hoped to attain a decent level of sound reproduction when listening to my music.

I have the music on a usb drive 320 kbps mp3 and the sound output is awful. I have tried every variation of bass, treble, subwoofer etc and I can't achieve a level of sound which I regard as acceptable. I am no musical aficionado but I currently struggle to listen to my music due to the harshness of the sound.

I should add that the USB drive was used in my previous car and produced an acceptable level of sound from that cars speakers which in no way were anything exceptional.

I'm not expecting miracles, nor suggestions of ripping out head units or speakers, but does anyone have any suggestions to help even if it's only set levels for bass, treble etc.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Door insulation first. Then speaker upgrade. USB stick quality has no effect on sound quality as it's just storage for digital data that's loaded into the head unit memory and played from there.

There is no easy solution.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Yes - It's not the source material, it's the hardware, as mrtn says. Speakers, amp, dsp. Step by step till you hear music. Though they are proud of the OEM stuff, it's really pretty low grade quality. Head unit built by the lowest bidder, $5 paper speakers, that kind of thing. For a Gen 5, however, good luck finding an aftermarket head unit that fits. Honda has made it difficult.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts