Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw these two pics online of the possible 2020 CRV. Any thoughts?

It looks like the front grill will be blacked out and I’m hoping for something like the Passport front end

IMG_0650.jpg IMG_0651.jpg

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Looks like a regular Gen5 to me but the exhaust tips are different so who knows!

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
Looks like a Gen5 to me but the exhaust tips are different so who knows!
That particular camouflage seems to be common for unreleased Hondas, as I have seen in also in prior years with the Gen-5 CRV. I agree with you that the tailpipes look different... like the Touring Accords pipes, if I recall correctly, which would be an easy and typical cosmetic change for a modest refresh.. along with different wheels from prior years, and a few other classic Honda cosmetic refresh items ahead of a full new generation release (which is probably either 2021 or 2022 for the CRV)

Nothing else about the vehicle stands out as anything notable though.. so this is probably a 2020 modest refresh of the Gen5. I know the OP stated that it looks like the grill will be blacked out.. but I honestly do not know how he arrived at that determination.... because in previous photos of unreleased Gen5s.... they cover all the front grill work with the same camouflage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the OP stated that it looks like the grill will be blacked out.. but I honestly do not know how he arrived at that determination.... because in previous photos of unreleased Gen5s.... they cover all the front grill work with the same camouflage.
The black trim below the headlights looks a bit wider than the current generation, I’m hoping rather than stating)

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's the refresh. Hondas are pretty consistently on 5 year model cycles (9th gen civic was 4 because it sucked and even got it's mid cycle refresh in its second year). Fourth year is the mid cycle minor refresh that is a mild front and sometimes rear restyle and occasionally new features. Sometimes they add or remove trims. For the 4th gen, they added the SE trim in 2015. 6th gen will likely be for the 2022 model year.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,782 Posts
Well, I guess it's silly season for websites of questionable ability. Honda has an incredibly good ability to hide prototypes. Nobody saw the RDX or Passport until it was released.
The CRV has so many different engines and transmissions worldwide that for all we know those pictures are 2/3 years old.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As someone who has been anticipating the refreshed 2020 CRV hybrid, Thank you for this. The tail lights looks updated to me and it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I think it's just minor exterior facelift... But we'll see!
Thanks for the update
Yep... that is exactly what the linked source article states too. It also says that the new tail exhausts (the most notable exterior difference) shown may not be what is on the 2020 release vehicles. The wheels look interesting too.. but I'm not convinced those represent planned release for 2020.... they look more like something they are testing out (I could be wrong.. but the rims look a bit larger and the tire correspondingly smaller diameter... but it could just be an optical illusion with those black rims and the lighting in which the photo was snapped).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think it's just minor exterior facelift... But we'll see!
Thanks for the update
I agree

i think they'll give standard led headlights, sensing on all models, different sport bumpers and led fogs, body colored "spats" on the side or and maybe some black chrome garnish options. Push button shifter and push button sport mode
and lastly move the "sensing" into the honda emblem like the pilot to get rid of the pocket underneath that the snow builds up on to alleviate all the people going to service about errors

The UK/JDM crv modulo gear/Mugen is basically your roadmap to the mid cycle refresh

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to see sensors in the front and rear bumpers and blind spot info on more models. Escape, rogue have the sensors on some of their lower models.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would like to see sensors in the front and rear bumpers and blind spot info on more models. Escape, rogue have the sensors on some of their lower models.

I hope they figure out an alternative to the solid black panel on the grill of which the sensor(s) are behind. (under the H emblem). I always hated the way it looks.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I agree

i think they'll give standard led headlights, sensing on all models, different sport bumpers and led fogs, body colored "spats" on the side or and maybe some black chrome garnish options. Push button shifter and push button sport mode
and lastly move the "sensing" into the honda emblem like the pilot to get rid of the pocket underneath that the snow builds up on to alleviate all the people going to service about errors

The UK/JDM crv modulo gear/Mugen is basically your roadmap to the mid cycle refresh
I doubt you will see any of these things until the 2022 gen-6. Midlife refreshes are pretty modest historically where Honda is concerned. When they have a serious miss on a vehicle with owners.. they generally advance the refresh by a couple years to get back on track (something they have done a couple times with the Civic in the last decade). I do admire how quickly Honda jumps on a redesign when they release a turkey into the wild, but the Gen 5 CRV is no where near earlier Civic style turkey gobblers and the CRV is a big part of their total sales volume now days... so they would be all over it if it was a turkey.

Please to note: no turkeys were harmed with my comments. :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I doubt you will see any of these things until the 2022 gen-6. Midlife refreshes are pretty modest historically where Honda is concerned. When they have a serious miss on a vehicle with owners.. they generally advance the refresh by a couple years to get back on track (something they have done a couple times with the Civic in the last decade). I do admire how quickly Honda jumps on a redesign when they release a turkey into the wild, but the Gen 5 CRV is no where near earlier Civic style turkey gobblers and the CRV is a big part of their total sales volume now days... so they would be all over it if it was a turkey.

Please to note: no turkeys were harmed with my comments. :)
Yeah I kind of agree. If the vehicle is selling well there is not all that much incentive to do any major changes. I think they will take the most liked parts on various other versions of the Gen5 sold in other countries and incorporate it into the refresh.
Mine has electronic folding side mirrors and they tilt downward when I put it into reverse. I think they might use those same mirrors. All LEDs is another easy thing to do since they use that already in some models. Maybe the biggest change might be a full size moon roof.

My prediction is that they will not do any changes that have not already been tested on other Gen5 models.

Rob

1 - 20 of 46 Posts