Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

341 - 360 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in a CR-V hybrid but I need to tow a light trailer. Any suggestions? I contacted Honda and the response was.... "Thank you for reaching out to Honda Customer Service about the towing specifications for the 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid and giving us the opportunity to respond to you. Upon review of your request it specifies in the owner's manual your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties. You may find this information on page 461 or on our website. We understand this can be frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you." Thanks for your input......

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am interested in a CR-V hybrid but I need to tow a light trailer. Any suggestions? I contacted Honda and the response was.... "Thank you for reaching out to Honda Customer Service about the towing specifications for the 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid and giving us the opportunity to respond to you. Upon review of your request it specifies in the owner's manual your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties. You may find this information on page 461 or on our website. We understand this can be frustrating and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you." Thanks for your input......
UK model maximum towing weight is specified as 750kg braked, 600kg unbraked.

I'm confused why the difference if both models use the same drivetrain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I’m disappointed about that too. I have a 450 lb. utility trailer that I load with up to 1000 lb four or five times a year. I was looking forward to the crv hybrid but I’ll have to reconsider. The only alternative I can think of is to just rent a u-haul or Home Depot truck every so often. I hate to do that when all I need to move is a sheet of plywood or drywall. Even so, the rental cost would be cheaper than paying to keep my old Subaru as a backup for such things.

I wouldn’t put a hitch on any vehicle that states no towing. If it’s under warranty, they will most assuredly void it, and if it’s on a vehicle out of warranty and you have an accident, watch out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, I’m disappointed about that too. I have a 450 lb. utility trailer that I load with up to 1000 lb four or five times a year. I was looking forward to the crv hybrid but I’ll have to reconsider. The only alternative I can think of is to just rent a u-haul or Home Depot truck every so often. I hate to do that when all I need to move is a sheet of plywood or drywall. Even so, the rental cost would be cheaper than paying to keep my old Subaru as a backup for such things.

I wouldn’t put a hitch on any vehicle that states no towing. If it’s under warranty, they will most assuredly void it, and if it’s on a vehicle out of warranty and you have an accident, watch out.
I am hoping that Honda will receive this feedback and make the appropriate modifications to the CR-V hybrid. I plan to tow a small trailer with a Honda motorcycle and it would be nice to utilize a Honda CR-V hybrid! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's going to be difficult to get one for a little while... Honda is closing the plant in Indiana.

·
Registered
65 Posts
UK CRV 2019 Hybrid manual; Page 490. Your vehicle can tow a trailer if you carefully observe the load limits, use the proper equipment, and follow the towing guidelines.

The section then provides in depth limitations and procedures for the towing of a trailer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
UK CRV 2019 Hybrid manual; Page 490. Your vehicle can tow a trailer if you carefully observe the load limits, use the proper equipment, and follow the towing guidelines.

The section then provides in depth limitations and procedures for the towing of a trailer.
US towing recommendations and tow limits are often more conservative than Europe’s. Some say it’s because we are more likely to drive at higher speeds while pulling a trailer here. Hard to say why Honda won’t allow it at all here, but they must calculate it would add warranty claims.

·
Registered
CR-V Hybrid 2WD - Elegance
33 Posts
Two curious things that I can see in my first 600Km with the CR-V Hybrid that the reviews don’t say: First if the external temperature it’s low and you want (I hope!) the “hot air” inside the car, the thermal engine start many times until the internal temperature reach the set point.
Second, when you go down to the mountain/hill the battery charge fast (2-3km) and when it’s full charged the car use the termal-engine braking at high rpm (it’s a little bit uncomfortable) and not the electric-braking, may be to preserve the battery.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another thing, there are four drive mods and not three, in the manual isn’t declared:
1) Econ, the default
2) EV
3) Sport
4) push the Econ button during drive and the car switch in a “middle way” between Econ and sport.

IMHO Econ it’s perfect for 99% of the uses; Sport it’s fantastic for climb the mountain, 184hp instant and seems to be in the plain.

Again, great car I can’t wait to use it, but Coronavirus lockdown crashed my party.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
It's going to be difficult to get one for a little while... Honda is closing the plant in Indiana.
I live in northern California, and as of yesterday... all the dealers in 6 counties here are closing their showrooms and sales offices.. for at least 3 weeks. That is a lot of dealers too.. as we have many here in the bay area.

I suspect this will be the norm in multiple states within days.... so.. Honda idling it's factories is the right thing to do.. seeing as they simply lack the capacity to store large numbers of assembled vehicles, and no point in shipping them to closed dealerships.

My preferred dealer does have an nice on-line sales portal, where you can pick a vehicle, initiate the sales process, and then when done.. go to the dealer, sign the papers and pick up the vehicle and go home. Of course.. this presumes you don't need test driving and walking around the lot endlessly trying to decide what color and trim level you want. :)

Service bays remain open as they are classified as "essential business".

·
Registered
65 Posts
Two curious things that I can see in my first 600Km with the CR-V Hybrid that the reviews don’t say: First if the external temperature it’s low and you want (I hope!) the “hot air” inside the car, the thermal engine start many times until the internal temperature reach the set point.
Second, when you go down to the mountain/hill the battery charge fast (2-3km) and when it’s full charged the car use the termal-engine braking at high rpm (it’s a little bit uncomfortable) and not the electric-braking, may be to preserve the battery.
Good observation. Like you I've noticed the engine running initially to heat the cabin. If external temperature is lower than cabin temperature the engine will run until cabin temperature is reached. I can't say I've ever noticed it stopping and starting, it generally only takes minutes to get up to temperature and as the engine is very quiet I may have missed it.

I've not experienced the uncomfortable engine braking you describe, maybe because the hills I've descended haven't been that steep or long enough to transfer from regen braking to engine braking. I note in another post your car defaults to economy mode. My cars default startup mode is normal (middle mode) in that I have to actively select economy, sport or EV. I wonder if the economy setting is causing excessive engine braking when descending hills. Just a thought as I've never tried economy mode. I agree that sport is amazing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Charlie, you right, the thermal engine starting until the cabin reached the set point, isn’t a start-stop, it’s a my typo.

I live close to Dolomites and I’ve noticed this effect going down from 2800mt with an important slope, unfortunately the only one trip in the mountain with the new car, probably with lower hills the effect not appear.

Curious that Honda changes the default settings in different markets, I’ve check in the Italian manual and is specified, Econ default.
Anyway try to use Eco, the EV is more used here, the consumption is around 10% lower by on-board computer and the power it’s sufficient..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good observation. Like you I've noticed the engine running initially to heat the cabin. If external temperature is lower than cabin temperature the engine will run until cabin temperature is reached. I can't say I've ever noticed it stopping and starting, it generally only takes minutes to get up to temperature and as the engine is very quiet I may have missed it.
Just to be clear, cabin heat is provided by an electric heater. The ICE (internal combustion engine) will run to generate electricity, because of the extra load placed on the battery. But this helps it warm up to the best operating temperature.

I've not experienced the uncomfortable engine braking you describe, maybe because the hills I've descended haven't been that steep or long enough to transfer from regen braking to engine braking.
In my Accord hybrid, which I assume works the same way, this only happens if you have used the paddles to get more than the first level of regen braking (and btw, the default is one chevron "^" character, but it only shows if you've decreased it back to default from two or more).

The motor only provides braking force if you draw current from it. Once the battery is full, it can't take current. So current is sent to the generator, which spins the ICE without fuel, just like engine braking in a conventional car. The only difference is that you have no control over how fast it spins, like you would have by choosing the gear in that conventional car. So it quickly goes into blender mode. But it will help keep the engine warm.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX-L, 2016 Civic EX-T
5 Posts
Another thing, there are four drive mods and not three, in the manual isn’t declared:
1) Econ, the default
2) EV
3) Sport
4) push the Econ button during drive and the car switch in a “middle way” between Econ and sport.
Yes, four drive modes: Normal, Econ, Sport and Ev. From the US press kit:

"To customize the driving experience for maximum efficiency or driving performance, CR-V Hybrid drivers can choose between ECON, SPORT and EV modes, in addition to the Normal driving mode. ECON alters throttle inputs to help optimize fuel efficiency, while SPORT provides more aggressive throttle inputs while drawing more on the battery for a more energetic acceleration feel. Additionally, the Active Sound Control (ASC) system modifies sound appropriately for each mode, with SPORT receiving the sportiest setting. When in EV mode, drivers can opt to go for roughly a mile under electric power alone, depending on the state of charge of the battery and other conditions. "

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX-L, 2016 Civic EX-T
5 Posts
The CR-V Hybrid US Press Kit answered a lot of questions I had (like which trims have cross traffic monitoring and the Driver Position Memory System) and was obviously the basis for much of what the reviewers have been saying in the past few days.

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Press Kit

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just to be clear, cabin heat is provided by an electric heater. The ICE (internal combustion engine) will run to generate electricity, because of the extra load placed on the battery. But this helps it warm up to the best operating temperature.
I'm not sure that's necessarily correct. I've previously read in more than one report that no electric heater is fitted and that heat is derived from the running engine as required. Whichever, the engine runs until cabin temperature is reached.

I've also found regen paddle operation has become my automatic mode of slowing the vehicle down when descending hills or approaching corners. Obviously if the regen doesn't provide the necessary slowing force I use the brakes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure that's necessarily correct. I've previously read in more than one report that no electric heater is fitted and that heat is derived from the running engine as required. Whichever, the engine runs until cabin temperature is reached.
New Toyota RAV4 working like Jeff described, I'm not sure if is the same here in Honda, but probably yes because 3 weeks ago there were 3 degres here at 7AM and the hot air coming out after 20-30 seconds after car starting. May be too fast for a combustion engine to reach temperature, anyway the final result is the same.

I've also found regen paddle operation has become my automatic mode of slowing the vehicle down when descending hills or approaching corners. Obviously if the regen doesn't provide the necessary slowing force I use the brakes.
It's also my mode, seems like a video game ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, four drive modes: Normal, Econ, Sport and Ev. From the US press kit:

"To customize the driving experience for maximum efficiency or driving performance, CR-V Hybrid drivers can choose between ECON, SPORT and EV modes, in addition to the Normal driving mode. ECON alters throttle inputs to help optimize fuel efficiency, while SPORT provides more aggressive throttle inputs while drawing more on the battery for a more energetic acceleration feel. Additionally, the Active Sound Control (ASC) system modifies sound appropriately for each mode, with SPORT receiving the sportiest setting. When in EV mode, drivers can opt to go for roughly a mile under electric power alone, depending on the state of charge of the battery and other conditions. "

For sure the US press kit it's more detailed in that chapter compare to the Italian, anyway 437 pages gives a lot of information's.

·
Banned
524 Posts
The CR-V Hybrid US Press Kit answered a lot of questions I had (like which trims have cross traffic monitoring and the Driver Position Memory System) and was obviously the basis for much of what the reviewers have been saying in the past few days.

2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid Press Kit
Utterly baffling why no HUD is available for your guys in the USA.

Weird.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Utterly baffling why no HUD is available for your guys in the USA.

Weird.
You mean the HUD you yourself admit is more trouble than it is worth, and hence have stopped using, if I recall some of your past comments correctly?? :)

As an American consumer, I find things like HUD, as currently deployed on motor vehicles, to be more lipstick on a pig, rather than actually functionally beneficial. Given the vehicle has many voice responses to a wide range of different things, and simple alerts messaging right there in front of the steering wheel on the instrument display .... I don't see a HUD as valuable... just more cost which results in higher pricing.

Maybe when our vehicles are eventually equipped with targeting systems, targetable weapons, and fly.... HUD will have actual need and purpose. :ROFLMAO:

341 - 360 of 410 Posts