Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

421 - 440 of 449 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Civc EX, 2020 CR-V EX Hybrid
37 Posts
NY will probably have the highest tax for hybrids - they love to tax everything.
True in many ways, but they are also progressive about environment and climate change. My solar panels were very cheap after federal and state rebates. I doubt they would tax EVs and hybrids.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Upstate New York. Dealerships are closed, but are allowed to sell remotely. There are four near me, so lots of opportunity for haggling.
With so many dealer showrooms shut down for vehicle sales... some dealers are switching to online sales and paperwork, then bring the vehicle to you to complete the sale. This is allowed in California under our rigid business shutdown rules, and dealers are pushing it weekly with emails and texts. As such.. this probably makes for more room to negotiate on pricing while the showrooms and the factories are idle. :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Learn from the Civic Hybrid - the extra cost is not made up by the extra miles per gallon. When I was finally breaking even - I needed a $1500 new hybrid battery (out of warranty - 36,000 miles goes fast).
My CR-V averages over 30 MPG. (fuelly) Heck I got 35+ on the road on (2) 240 trips this month - for the extra 8 mpg that you get - the price of gas will need to be $7.00 a gallon to break even at 200,000 miles.
Now with most states adding an additional $75-200 / year to hybrid vehicles over gas/diesel vehicles on registration each year. You never can break even unless you use more than 2000 gallons of fuel each year ( that's 70,000 miles in a CR-V hybrid).
I owned 2 Honda Civic Hybrids - Lost my shirt on them. They were $4000 more at the purchase and worth $5000 less at trade-in.
I predict the same for the CR-V Hybrid mainly because of the Hybrid Road tax.
What state are you in? The hybrid battery may be covered up to 10 years and 150,000 miles depending on the state in which the vehicle is registered and operated. I doubt you paid out of pocket for a Hybrid battery at 36,000 miles.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The extended warranty was as good as trash - no new batteries were available - they took old battery packs and replaced the row that failed. Then another row failed - no loaners and 3 weeks for it to go to the battery replacement center and back.
It really leaves a good taste in your mouth. Honda and Hybrid - Almost as good as Jeep and reliability.
The battery failed at 80,000 miles - Honda extended it to 75,000 pro rated. I trade the 2006 Civic it in for a non-hybrid CR-V in 2013. All the battery replacements are rebuilds and don't last for long - after 10 minutes there was no battery assist especially when you needed power. The start-stop at red lights were an issue when you had to creep up a couple of feet - the engine would start and not stop again until you exceeded 8 mph. My grand daughter got the 2009 - the battery does nothing - the free replacement battery lasted 3 months - Honda only will replace it once. Anything over 75,000 is not covered for any Hybrid in MO and AR.

The irony is that the 1.5L engine from the 2006-2009 Civic is the core engine in the 1.5L turbo.
Add a couple of hundred pound for the IMA engine stuff and battery and disable the turbo on the new CR-V and you will see the 20 second 0-55 that the dead batteries cause on the Civic Hybrid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With so many dealer showrooms shut down for vehicle sales... some dealers are switching to online sales and paperwork, then bring the vehicle to you to complete the sale. This is allowed in California under our rigid business shutdown rules, and dealers are pushing it weekly with emails and texts. As such.. this probably makes for more room to negotiate on pricing while the showrooms and the factories are idle. :)
Let me know if you find one. I’m getting only offers of MSRP instead of marked up. One dealer said they sold 10 since shelter in place began. No test driving available. Can only buy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Let me know if you find one. I’m getting only offers of MSRP instead of marked up. One dealer said they sold 10 since shelter in place began. No test driving available. Can only buy.
The factory shutdowns might not help with leverage for a while, as supply will be constrained for a lot longer. I think the car market will be depressed in general, but new models like this will be the exception.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring | Modern Steel Metallic | Black Leather
31 Posts
Local dealer I purchased from in OKC has quite a few of them on their website and is advertising some discounts on them so they are slightly below MSRP. Keep in mind, I am unsure if they discount is a dealer discount or a discount such as college grad, military, or fist responder discount.

I will say this, I don't recommend the dealer I purchased form as the General Manager and New Car Sales Manager were pretty rude to us (we didn't get the cargo cover, tire inflator kit, emergency fuel filler funnel, and owners manual and when questioned about it they were really difficult to work with as they blamed us for not asking about it during the delivery process or for "misplacing" them. We eventually got them but it was a big headache and took about a week to deal with).

But if your dealer will dealer trade with them, they currently have 7 on their lot (according to their website) and 4 are on the way. Or if you feel brave enough purchasing from them, just make sure you have all your accessories before signing delivery agreement.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
The extended warranty was as good as trash - no new batteries were available - they took old battery packs and replaced the row that failed. Then another row failed - no loaners and 3 weeks for it to go to the battery replacement center and back.
It really leaves a good taste in your mouth. Honda and Hybrid - Almost as good as Jeep and reliability.
The battery failed at 80,000 miles - Honda extended it to 75,000 pro rated. I trade the 2006 Civic it in for a non-hybrid CR-V in 2013. All the battery replacements are rebuilds and don't last for long - after 10 minutes there was no battery assist especially when you needed power. The start-stop at red lights were an issue when you had to creep up a couple of feet - the engine would start and not stop again until you exceeded 8 mph. My grand daughter got the 2009 - the battery does nothing - the free replacement battery lasted 3 months - Honda only will replace it once. Anything over 75,000 is not covered for any Hybrid in MO and AR.

The irony is that the 1.5L engine from the 2006-2009 Civic is the core engine in the 1.5L turbo.
Add a couple of hundred pound for the IMA engine stuff and battery and disable the turbo on the new CR-V and you will see the 20 second 0-55 that the dead batteries cause on the Civic Hybrid.
AH! You are comparing your experience on a 14 (FOURTEEN) year old Honda Hybrid product. Honda was admittedly way behind on the Hybrid tech at that time. Sorry you had such bad experiences with it. I am a Hybrid fan, but decided against the 2020 CRV Hybrid for money reasons, not technology or battery warranty issues. Enough said.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seeing some discounts in the mid-Atlantic of between $100 and $1,000 on cars.com. Not sure how many of them are firm (i.e. not bait & switch).

·
Registered
55 Posts
The factory shutdowns might not help with leverage for a while, as supply will be constrained for a lot longer. I think the car market will be depressed in general, but new models like this will be the exception.
Yes, there is a lot of pent up demand right now. I visited my nearest dealer yesterday and they let me take a CR-V Hybrid Touring out for a spin. I asked how much about invoice would they sell one to me for. The sales person said that "Honda only trickled the Hybrids out before the shutdown and that the sales manager knows what he has and won't budge off of MSRP." They only have two Hybrid Tourings and I don't want to pay over $37,000 for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to Car Guru's it looks like there are 72 within 100 miles of Seattle -- more than would have guessed. 20 are EX-Ls, 35 Touring with a smattering of remaining trims. However, I can't tell how many are actually on the lots vs in transit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In central New York (Syracuse area) most dealers have from one to three on the lot. One dealer is stuck at MSRP and two others are at invoice and $300 under invoice. Unfortunately I can't get the color I want right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On March 24, 2020 I bought a CR-V Hybrid Touring for $34,600 plus tax, dealer document fee ($599) and motor vehicle licensing. This dealer had the color I wanted (modern steel with black interior), so they didn't need to trade another dealer for the color I wanted.

Sticker price including destination $37,095 from DCH Academy Honda in central NJ. They had an "add on" sicker for; wheel locks, clear film door edge guards, window etching and nitrogen in the tires, which they asked $500 for. This was all included in the price I paid.

I had looked at the same vehicle at Honda of Princeton NJ. In addition to a similar add-on of $500 for the items mentioned above, they put a "market adjust" of $6,995 on top of the sticker price and sold that vehicle!

Truecar says the avg. discount is about $1,350 in my central NJ location.

DCH Academy Honda drove the car to me for a test drive (masked and gloved driver), did the deal over the telephone and then delivered the car to me (sanitized, masked and gloved driver).

Dealers will deal.

Check out the things I did to mine after I bought it in a separate thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. We're all looking forward to hearing your driving impressions, mpg, mods...
Also, if you test drove any other cars prior to deciding on the CR-VH, would love to hear your impressions of those as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drove the Toyota hybrid several months ago. It seemed very heavy to me in terms of handling, steering, etc.

I didn't drive it very far < 1 mile, as it hit the reject pile quickly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Having a hard time finding invoice prices for the CR-V hybrid. Normally they take a little time to show up but it seems the regular sources (TrueCar, KBB, Edmunds) still do not have them, and it is possible COVID is the reason for the delay. Going to test drive one this week and want some numbers in case I decide on one. Costco does not offer the hybrid in its program quite yet, so this one will have to be done manually. Seeing $900 discounts online (TrueCar confirms this as an average discount, thought Edmunds seems to think $1,500 is a "fair" discount).

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hybrid EX
10 Posts
I was able to get a price below MSRP on a CRV Hybrid in PA (see post here: Price Reporting.)

I did everything online (email and text). Price negotiation, paperwork and trade details. When I went to the dealership, I only had to sign a few papers and then I was on my way in less than 15 minutes. It was very easy - and I preferred the online method as it gave me time to think about my replies (and no pressure tactics).

I did shop around to a few local dealerships and one of them in my area was adamant that MSRP was a good deal and that since I wasn't going to find a better price I may as well buy from them before the car was gone.... My advice is to keep looking until you find a dealership looking to make the sale.

ED

421 - 440 of 449 Posts