Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid EX-L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Honda CR-V EX-L Hybrid with 35,000 miles on it. In the last month, the car has gone into limp mode 3 times while driving on the freeway. This happens the initial drive in the morning on the way to work and happens within the first 5 miles driven. The car looses power, the engine light starts to blink, and if you cannot pull over soon enough it starts to lurch. (See video) When you turn the car off for a few minutes everything resets and is normal. I have brought the car to the local Honda dealership and they haven't been able to find any issues. They checked to see if any codes were recorded and nothing is. This has happened twice in two days. I am not certain where to start and neither does the dealership. I don't want to have to keep paying a service charge each time I bring in the car to have them say nothing is wrong. The car is still under manufacturers warranty.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,843 Posts
The car is still under manufacturers warranty.
Why then are you paying anything when your dealer looks at your car??

Suggest you find an alternative dealer who actually looks into this as opposed to fobbing you off.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid EX-L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why then are you paying anything when your dealer looks at your car??

Suggest you find an alternative dealer who actually looks into this as opposed to fobbing you off.
Like everything else, there is a charge for the mechanics time. I am currently fighting this as I need to bring it in again and they want to charge me the $114.00 for the time.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,843 Posts
Mechanics time? For work under warranty?

Is this a US thing?

I'd be contacting Honda Corp HQ rather than ask questions on a forum to be honest - no one should be paying a dime for a mechanics time when they're working on/examining a vehicle thats under warranty.

Utterly bizarre...

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
484 Posts
Mechanics time? For work under warranty?
I don’t think it’s unusual for some dealers to charge a diagnostic fee to identify a fault which would be refundable if that fault is covered by the warranty. What is unusual is paying a repeat diagnostic fee for the same recurring problem which is beyond their investigative/technical capabilities. Report the dealership to Honda if that’s the case.

Notwithstanding the issue of paying for diagnostics you have a problem with the car. To support your claim you have video evidence of the problem and assuming the car has been serviced iaw the maintenance schedule, is under warranty and you want it sorted. If you wish go to another dealer who may be more technically competent that’s your choice. If not it’s up to the original dealership to find out what’s wrong with the car so go back to them and put pressure on them before escalating the issue to Honda.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,843 Posts
You should call honda and open a ticket for the issue and a reimbursement.

There should be $0 charge for any inspections of issues especially ones under warranty and ESPECIALLY one that loses power on the highway
Nailed it :)

Reactions: BoostedV

·
Registered
622 Posts
I asked my dealer sometime ago about diagnostic fee's while the vehicle is under warranty
He said it is quite normal to charge a diagnostic fee but being as you bought the car from us and have it serviced here we wouldn't charge you

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,466 Posts
Like everything else, there is a charge for the mechanics time. I am currently fighting this as I need to bring it in again and they want to charge me the $114.00 for the time.
As long as the factory warranty is still active, there should be no labor charges or any other "diagnostic fee". Sometimes if they find no issue, or believe the owner is making an issue of something normal (clearly not so in this case) they may resort to charging a diagnostic if they feel the owner is simply wasting their service staffs time.

Taking a video of the vehicle failing when it misbehaves, and showing that to the dealer is sufficient evidence that you have a problem with the vehicle and they should willingly find and fix the issue under factory warranty. That way, they cannot just brush you off if they find no codes set.

When a dealer cannot isolate an issue in a modern Honda, they are supposed to open a case with Honda Customer Support and get field support engineers out to their dealership to work the problem. Why are they not doing this, would be a concern if it were my vehicle. I would contact Honda Customer Care and open a case file with them to get your issue resolved. Sometimes just opening a case with Honda is enough to get an ambivalent dealership to actually work the issue rather than dismiss it.

You are close to the end of your warranty, on miles, and if you do not have a HondaCare extended warranty policy... this dealer may just be trying to wait you out so they can really put the knife to your wallet once you pass 36K miles Seek another dealer if you can for a second opinion and actual work to resolve the issue. Make sure you keep all the paperwork on this, so that if it continues after your warranty expires, you have reasonable grounds to open a case with Honda and demand it still be covered under warranty.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,843 Posts
The dealership agreed to look at it without charging me an additional service fee. They are going to keep it a couple of days to see if they can figure out the problem.
Let us know how you get on - and do not pay a penny to them for work that they should be doing under warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts