Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Anybody concerned about the lack of paint on the firewall area and under body. No paint or protection against corrosion.
What I see on our 2020 is Lunar Silver paint without the clear coat on some parts toward the front end of the engine bay and on the firewall below the plastic shield I see a greenish/grayish primer coat. I will check our 2018 Ridgeline tomorrow to see if it was treated any differently and post back.

Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
Welcome to the forum! For best results, you might post this in the Gen 5 Section. Problems & Issues is a generic Section. We are about to overhaul the main page, and it will be closed, anyway. If I had this issue and was worried about it, I would probably go have the car thoroughly undercoated, if I lived in an rea where it might be a future issue. I don't, but if I did I would.

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
It is common that areas 'out of sight' (underside, engine bay, underhood) are not clearcoated (by many manufacturers, not just Honda). Our '06 is this way, and has no rust issues.

The only things that have visibly corroded over the years are the brackets that hold stuff in place.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
It is common that areas 'out of sight' (underside, engine bay, underhood) are not clearcoated (by many manufacturers, not just Honda). Our '06 is this way, and has no rust issues.

The only things that have visibly corroded over the years are the brackets that hold stuff in place.
In addition, paint and clearcoat are not particularly good at corrosion prevention on their own ... it is the actual anti-corrosion coatings on the metal prior to primer, paint, and clearcoat that matter in this regard.

Registered
This comes from the Honda Canada website:
Paint
The welded body is prepared for painting by passing through a series of dip tanks for cleaning, chemical pre-treatment, phosphating and electro-deposition coating for corrosion protection. This is followed by the robotic application of a sealer and a sound deadener. The body is then prepared for top coating by applying anti-chip primer and surfacer. The topcoat finish can consist of a base coat/clear coat, base coat/tinted clear or solid finish. All paint surfaces are applied robotically. After each coat of paint, the body passes through a baking oven.

Registered
As promised earlier, I checked the engine bay or our 2018 Ridgeline. It has the Lunar Silver base coat as far as I can see down the firewall and in recessed areas. I am not going to worry about corrosion on either the Ridgeline or CRV, mostly because we live in Seattle and there are only a few times each year when salt is used on the roads and parking lots. Also, based on jim256's description of the painting procedure at Honda, it sounds as if there is plenty of protection without the top coats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts