Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CRV touring
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm thinking of putting the new smoked 2020 tail light on my 2019 crv. I think they look better; more sleek and it seems to have inhanced visibility also.

Does anyone know if you can just purchase the 2020 crv tail lights and put them on a 2017-2019 crv. I'm curious if anyone has done it.

I have attached images detailing the difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
Sounds like a perfectly good idea. Probably a no brainer easy swap.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Yes they will fit :)

Not sure whether the COVID-19 issues would hinder supplies etc if dealerships and suppliers arent stocking/shipping parts though....

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
They will swap over but you will need new gaskets for the inner lights

keep in mind the 2020 chrome rear banner across trunk is black chrome On a 2017-2019 it will seem even darker with the ‘bright chrome’ of the 2017-2019 Banner

cant remember if the 3rd brake light is smoked either

i had all the part numbers ready to do this and am just tinting the white parts on the 2017-2019, i didnt like the darker red only the smoked reverse and turn marker

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Pricey.

Might be cheaper to find a breakers yard or something that might have a written off front-end car that you could salvage the parts from for less.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
I spoke to my local Honda dealership and they said that the whole tailight assembly (left and right side) would cost me 1800 (CDN) to purchase

:/
its $600 usd here for all 4 and gaskets
And takes about 30 min to swap.

then sayyou ebay your stocks for $300-350 for all 4, your in under $300

OR just buy overlays for your stocks, get the same look for under $100

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
What about wrapping your current taillights with a light tint wrap? Imo that would be the cost effective way to get the same look.
I think there is even a rattle can spray to dark tint lights. But make sure it’s legal where you are

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
I think there is even a rattle can spray to dark tint lights. But make sure it’s legal where you are
Unless its done properly vht tint will be dull and not glossy, lots of prep steps and clear coat involved.
My light smoke tint came yesterday & i cut a small 1cm corner to see the darkness on the lense

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
^

Sadly, that sort of tint wrap over on this side of the pond is "illegal", as the Gestapo-Police would say!

Looks brilliant though!!

·
Registered
2018 CRV LX-AWD
9 Posts
Unless its done properly vht tint will be dull and not glossy, lots of prep steps and clear coat involved.
My light smoke tint came yesterday & i cut a small 1cm corner to see the darkness on the lense

View attachment 138686
I ordered tint wrap as well. Tried to order the lightest ones that I could find. Just trying to match the tint look of the 2020 tail lights. Once I receive the shipment, I'll share how dark it looks with a test piece just like what you did in the picture above.
Gen 5 CRV tail light geometry will be VERY challenging to wrap with only one piece of vinyl, but I will still give it a shot since I have more time at home with this social distancing situation.

Also, I definitely wouldn't trust myself using the spray on ones. (Can look really bad if you don't know what you're doing + Very involved removal process)

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
I ordered tint wrap as well. Tried to order the lightest ones that I could find. Just trying to match the tint look of the 2020 tail lights. Once I receive the shipment, I'll share how dark it looks with a test piece just like what you did in the picture above.
Gen 5 CRV tail light geometry will be VERY challenging to wrap with only one piece of vinyl, but I will still give it a shot since I have more time at home with this social distancing situation.
i did mine this weekend.
Used vvivid light smoke on the white parts but snapped on the red to show that its pretty similar to 2020 oems

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
How feasible you think wrapping the red part will be? I got the exact same wrap. Just waiting to receive it now.
U could pop the outer lights off and do it indoors if u wanted. Inner lights are flat and easy.
Took about 20 minutes
It was very hot out and just had to use heat gun on the bulges.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
I'm curious about the light output and visibility with the film.
It's reduced. Whether it is below legal requirements is another subject.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
I'm curious about the light output and visibility with the film.
That would be paced by the strength/depth of the film used I guess. The darker the film, the lower the light will be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

I'm thinking of putting the new smoked 2020 tail light on my 2019 crv. I think they look better; more sleek and it seems to have inhanced visibility also.

Does anyone know if you can just purchase the 2020 crv tail lights and put them on a 2017-2019 crv. I'm curious if anyone has done it.

i just smoked mine with paint
Hello all,

This is what i did to mine

1 - 20 of 37 Posts