Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the wireless charger work with the phone in a case? I have a relatively thin silicone case.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes, easily as long as your phone is qi compatible. My wife has an Iphone xr with silicone case and it charges nicely. She also has a $20.00 Wireless charger beside her computer. They are quite inexpensive as stand alone units too. Should also note that any phone plugged into apple carplay via usb will also charge or you can also use the adjacent usb outlet to charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to admit, nice feature, but I'm disappointed it doesn't "quick charge" the phone. My wireless charging pad at home does and to have something built into such an expensive vehicle not do it seems odd. Maybe some limitation preventing it I don't know about?

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
959 Posts
I have to admit, nice feature, but I'm disappointed it doesn't "quick charge" the phone. My wireless charging pad at home does and to have something built into such an expensive vehicle not do it seems odd. Maybe some limitation preventing it I don't know about?
cars aren’t designed for high wattage like that. Most have low watts for usb charging

·
Registered
196 Posts
We don't get it here in the UK why I don't know I might buy one of these

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
959 Posts

i like this one 1000% better

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

The reason we dont have it buddy, is because we in the UK/Europe are behind the US in terms of product cycle introduction and updates.

The 5th Gen CRV was out in late 2016/2017 in the USA.

Didnt arrive till very late Q3 in 2018 for the UK, almost a full two years behind. Thats why they now have the mildly facelifted/updated variant for 2020 with wireless charging etc.

We wont get that model until at least late 2021. If we're lucky.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Why can't they just make one specification worldwide
All automakers variate their products/releases based on empiral demand and feedback from customers. Thats part of the reason why the Accord was dropped in the UK - low demand.

The same could be asked why top end US CR-V Touring models dont get a Head Up Display or heated rear seats for example.

Indeed, if you look at Honda's UK and European line up, it is pathetic when you contrast to whats available in the USA, Canada and Asia.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Possibly number the different variants similar to computer operating systems, Gen 5.0, 5.1 etc. It can't be that difficult to provide this identity at source to prevent confusion regarding compatibility between European, American and other models of the same generation.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L LUNAR SILVER METALLICA
2 Posts
The wireless charger is useless for anyone who uses android auto or apple's equivalent. You must plug in your phone to use either with Honda's dated HU.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The wireless charger is useless for anyone who uses android auto or apple's equivalent. You must plug in your phone to use either with Honda's dated HU.
I had the wireless charger on my 2019 Civic.

Total waste of time. Using the USB-C cable charged my device very fast. Wireless was painfully slow.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I agree with MedievalGuy.

Wireless charging continues to be behind the curve, compared to smart charge features via normal USB style connection for both iphone and android phones.

Even the best of the best aftermarket Qi chargers only charge at 7.5 W for iPhones, 10 W for Android phones.

Even in the case of advance speed smart charging circuits for phones, there is NO single standard in the industry... so even that cannot be exploited well in something like a motor vehicle where there could literally be any model, generation, and brand of phone being used by an owner.

And by the way... when you put any feature for phones in a motor vehicle.. you really to have to be conservative as much as possible (to insure the widest range of operability across a wide range of various phones on the market).. which inherently compromises any ability to be on the leading edge of any technology.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring | Modern Steel Metallic | Black Leather
34 Posts
I did purchase the CarPlay2Air adapter. It's great! Really easy to pair with the vehicle and quick connecting when you're in and out of the car. Pricy yes, but highly recommend! Just park your phone on the wireless charger when you get in and you have Apple CarPlay in less than 30 seconds after starting. Really impressive!

·
Banned
2 Posts
I'm not sure I see the point. I have my phone plugged in when I get into the car (via USB) for Android auto anyway. Does using the wireless charger still allow for full Android auto use? If it does/did I could see that being useful, especially with my s10+ which fits in that little console spot neatly without being plugged in but while it is, it has to sit crooked.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts