Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post! I have a 2003 CR-V that I have loved but I am ready to get a new one.

I'm an old dinosaur that still buys and listens to CD's whenever possible, but all manufacturers are phasing out CD players in their vehicles and that includes Honda. I wanted the highest quality music source I could have so I my huge collection of CD's as flac files to use instead of streaming. I thought I would be able to insert a jump drive into one of the USB ports and play the music files directly from it, but a recent trip to the dealer to look at 2020 CR-V's revealed that is not the case. My jump drive was not recognized at all in any port. The salesman had no clue how the stereo worked and could offer no solution.

I'm guessing you HAVE to load your music files onto your cell phone and use Android music or Apple music to play them. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
I play my flac files (on the phone) over bluetooth. The newest bt codecs result in some great sound. I have a 2014 ex-l so it's the best head unit for them, at that time. A newer one has an even better chance of having the best codecs. I know google playmusic has an option in settings to play 'high quality'. Honestly, with flac files, the sound quality will knock yer socks off.

Cheers

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX
9 Posts
Curious if the car didn't recognize the device or if it didn't understand Flac files... Might try putting a couple MP3 files on your drive and see if the CR-V recognises it... If not, you might need a better (up to spec) cable.

I have a 2020 CR-V EX... the Owners Manual says: "The USB port (1.5a) is for charging devices, playing audio files and connecting compatible phones with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto."

You should be able to connect your phone to the car with Android Auto and use any player in your phone to play the Flac files.

·
Registered
556 Posts
the default format for USB drives is not always the right type for your car - it as to be fat32. If you use windows download the HP USB formatter - it creates the right format - windows does not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the default format for USB drives is not always the right type for your car - it as to be fat32. If you use windows download the HP USB formatter - it creates the right format - windows does not.
It is formatted as fat32. Let me give more information so it's very clear what I thought I could do.

I ripped my entire CD collection to flac files. By default, they are saved as the following: artist name folder/album name folders/song flac files. I thought I would be able to save my entire collection to an external drive, plug it directly into the USB port into the car (no cable needed) and play the artist folder, or the album folder, or individual songs, shuffle the entire drive, whatever I wanted.

I went to the Honda dealer and tested this in a 2020 CR-V. When I select the USB port as my source on the system and insert my drive, it does nothing. It just continues to say "connect device" or something similar. It won't recognize the jump drive, much less play anything from it.

Has anyone inserted a jump drive into to the USB port of the current generation of CR-V's and played music files successfully? If so, can you look at what I wrote above and tell me what you did differently to what I did?

·
Registered
556 Posts
It only plays MP3's not any other format. The MP3 cannot have any DRM info in them. I found that the Honda's radio does not make better quality over 96 bit format, the speakers are not quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It only plays mp3's not any other format. I found that the Honda's radio does not make better quality over 96 bit format, the speakers are not quality.
Thanks, Larry. Your previous response was helpful too.

Do you know if having your music files in folders as I do matters? I thought the jump drive folder names should have been displayed and navigable even if the files inside couldn't be read, but they weren't. Also, can I just insert the jump drive directly to the USB?

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
From what I'm reading it might also play wma lossless format files. I just converted a flac to wma for you to try, download it from the link. I'd just put the file in the root directory, it should find it there without question. Let us know if it works. The flac file size was about 46 meg and the wma size is 42, so looks like it's kept all the data.

10,000 Maniacs - these are days

Just to add, I didn't enter any of the description info, like title, artist, etc. If you can play it, we'll test that part next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I'm reading it might also play wma lossless format files. I just converted a flac to wma for you to try, download it from the link. I'd just put the file in the root directory, it should find it there without question. Let us know if it works. The flac file size was about 46 meg and the wma size is 42, so looks like it's kept all the data.

1,000 Maniacs - these are days

Just to add, I didn't enter any of the description info, like title, artist, etc. If you can play it, we'll test that part next.
Thanks, but I don't own the car yet! I was describing my experience when I took a 2020 CR-V out for a test. Since my current car is so old (2003 CR-V) I just wanted to see how the new stereo worked and took a jump drive of music with me. I had to replace the CD player in my current vehicle and the new unit recognizes and plays anything I put in, no problem.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Thanks, but I don't own the car yet! I was describing my experience when I took a 2020 CR-V out for a test. Since my current car is so old (2003 CR-V) I just wanted to see how the new stereo worked and took a jump drive of music with me. I had to replace the CD player in my current vehicle and the new unit recognizes and plays anything I put in, no problem.
Oh I see. Well I'd say you have 2 very good options to try when u can. It should play the wma / wav file format as that's the cd player format, it should recognize that on a usb drive.

As I mentioned earlier, another option is over bluetooth and hopefully it would use apt-HD codec. It too is very high quality.

good luck, cheers

·
Registered
2020 Honda CRV Touring
28 Posts
I have a 16gb mini jump drive full of music created years ago for a Ford I owned. It works fine in my 2020 CRV plugged into the left USB port with the phone symbol on it. The songs are in album folders and those folders are in artist folders. I just checked and the file format is M4A. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 16gb mini jump drive full of music created years ago for a Ford I owned. It works fine in my 2020 CRV plugged into the left USB port with the phone symbol on it. The songs are in album folders and those folders are in artist folders. I just checked and the file format is M4A. I hope that helps.
It gives me something else to try - thanks. That's the exact directory setup I had on mine. I'm still puzzled as to why the folders weren't recognized even if there were no playable files in them. That just doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Well, didn't work for me. Tried the above wav file on a usb drive and it's not recognized.

But! another thing I tried, need a phone with a 3.5 jack, was the 'aux in' to just the phone. That works. Additionally, for those that have a phone with a built in 'quad dac' (my Lg V30 does), the quad dac can be turned on and it works. (you need some pretty expensive headphones that have at least a 50 ohm resistance to be able to turn the dac's on - so seems the HU provides that).

hey don't mind me, just trying to have a little fun during these trying times ;)

cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
First post! I have a 2003 CR-V that I have loved but I am ready to get a new one.

I'm an old dinosaur that still buys and listens to CD's whenever possible, but all manufacturers are phasing out CD players in their vehicles and that includes Honda. I wanted the highest quality music source I could have so I my huge collection of CD's as flac files to use instead of streaming. I thought I would be able to insert a jump drive into one of the USB ports and play the music files directly from it, but a recent trip to the dealer to look at 2020 CR-V's revealed that is not the case. My jump drive was not recognized at all in any port. The salesman had no clue how the stereo worked and could offer no solution.

I'm guessing you HAVE to load your music files onto your cell phone and use Android music or Apple music to play them. Can anyone confirm that?
My advice to you is to buy a Kenwood and get GSto install it (or if you are like me, do it yourself) and enjoy the night and day jump in audio quality in the car. I have an EX and the sound system was good before but the old speakers pair well with the double din head unit. One of the best investments I have ever made. The best sound comes from the files on your phone/usb device, which the aftermarket head unit fully supports. My mother bought a 2017 Civic EX-L a few years back and while the package throws in everything, the modern (planned obsolescent) sound system still sounds like shit and it deleted the CD drive. The same goes for the CR-V. The only comparable thing Honda still does would be to buy a Pilot in an expensive trim and purchase the Blu Ray drive as a pricey add-on for the kids to watch movies. If your CR-V is an LX then change the speakers with the head unit, which I had to do on my '05 Accord because they were so cheap, sun-dried and tinny. Save yourself the hassle of dealing with a bunch of mindless salesmen who don't know what they're doing and stick with your reliable '03.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I am not an audiophile, so I just have mp3 files on a USB stick. And I was able to play them via the second USB port (not the one the phone plugs into for Android Auto) in my 2018 Touring for about a year, and then suddenly, the USB stick is no longer recognized. Maybe something happened when I updated my Garmin maps, or maybe an Android Auto issue, I don't know. I just know that now I have to use my phone and Google Play Music and that can be ornery too. It's a minor enough thing that I decided to wait for my next oil change, since it's not worth a special trip to the dealership just for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2020 manual says you have to plug into a (the?) front-seat USB port, and only these formats are supported: MP3, WMA, AAC or WAV.

I just Googled for "2020 crv manual" and the Honda manual site came up.

Paul McJones
P.S. My 2017 plays MP3s from a thumb drive just fine; I'm guessing there's enough background noise that the extra quality of lossless encoding is overkill.

·
Registered
3 Posts

[/QUOTE

I just traded my 2003 Honda CRV that I also loved for a 2018 Honda CRV, which I also love. I have a jump drive with all my music on it and I have no problem listening to it. I love the convenience. I can just scan through the list to play whatever I want. I'm not real techie but I had no problem. You have to click on "Auto Play"
Mona

·
Registered
34 Posts
2012 here, I have a 64 GB USB using .mp3 with lots of structured folders and mine displays and navigates them just fine.

·
Registered
556 Posts
USB sticks will fail over time from change in temperature.
I have to make a new one every two years. The radio only looks for a short time for the directory - if it does not see it no music. Your computer may still see it fine to copy it to a new USB stick.
The cheap Walmart ones are not long life maybe less than a year, I found Toshiba 32gb to last the longest.
Look at your computer error logs after building a new USB stick. Cheap ones will have correctable errors logged, good ones will not have any errors logged.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts