Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks, Larry. Your previous response was helpful too.

Do you know if having your music files in folders as I do matters? I thought the jump drive folder names should have been displayed and navigable even if the files inside couldn't be read, but they weren't. Also, can I just insert the jump drive directly to the USB?
I have about 700 songs in various folders on a USB drive that are in mp3 format. The folders are recognized and I can pick which ever I want to play. I also have all 700 songs in one folder as I tend to just shuffle that folder on long trips. That being said I think the speakers in my 2017 CRV are not very good. The digital volume control like most music playing devices is too low and then up one notch is too loud.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have 3916 songs in 79 folders.
The random function in the 2015 and 2016 only did the first 32 songs and repeated.
So I got a random number generated list and took the random numbers and added one to each song and copied them to another folder to keep from changing my master copy.
the first random number was 2543 so "ABBA - Dancing Queen.mp3" became "2543 ABBA - Dancing Queen.mp3"
my last song is "1245 ZZ Top - Tush"
and I copied in order 0001 - 0250 into folder 01 - 0251-0500 into folder 02 ....
That way all the songs are sorta random.
I rename songs with numbers to words - 5th Dimension = Fifth Dimension - 10CC = Ten CC.

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
780 Posts
Tagscanner is an excellent MP3 tag editor and renamer if you have a Windows computer: TagScanner - Download

TagScanner is a powerful tool for organizing and managing your music collection. It can edit tags of most modern audio formats, supports ID3v1/v2, Vorbis comments, APEv2, WMA and MP4(iTunes) tags. You can rename files according to information from the tags, import tag information from filenames or other sources, perform any text replacement and transformations in tags and filenames. Also you may get album info and download covers via online databases like freedb, Discogs or MusicBrainz. You can create playlists in one click and export your collection to HTML, Excel or any user-defined format. Program has easy-to-use multilingual interface and built-in audio player.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My advice to you is to buy a Kenwood and get GSto install it (or if you are like me, do it yourself) and enjoy the night and day jump in audio quality in the car.
Save yourself the hassle of dealing with a bunch of mindless salesmen who don't know what they're doing and stick with your reliable '03.
Thanks for the response, Champ. Are you recommending a specific Kenwood unit or just the Kenwood brand in general? I'll research it, but I didn't think there were many aftermarket touchscreen "infotainment" models out there and the ones you can find won't have all the functions that the original unit had.

You may be onto something with the suggestion I keep my '03. I'm seriously thinking about doing that. The taxes and insurance on it are next to nothing and I play in bands so I could keep using that as my gig vehicle until it drops dead. When I went car shopping, I took my normal gig gear with me and was amazed at how much easier it is to get it in and out of my '03 than a 2020. The rear opening is so much bigger in the '03. I even tried a Passport and that was worse!

The 2020 manual says you have to plug into a (the?) front-seat USB port, and only these formats are supported: MP3, WMA, AAC or WAV.
Thanks, Paul. I asked the salesman what file types the 2020's would play and he was clueless. He did say he would try to find out which of course, he never did. I did find it odd that even though it won't play flac files as you've now informed me, it wouldn't even recognize the folders on the jump drive.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Thanks, Paul. I asked the salesman what file types the 2020's would play and he was clueless. He did say he would try to find out which of course, he never did. I did find it odd that even though it won't play flac files as you've now informed me, it wouldn't even recognize the folders on the jump drive.
That makes sense, as the research I did indicated a WAV file would play, but it must have been referring to a newer version than my 4th gen, which wouldn't play it.

So that earlier post I made, that is a WAV file.IF it did work, it sounds like it would be the ideal situation for your needs. A Wav is pretty much a flac equivalent, it's the cd-rom format.

If you could get someone with a newer model to test that file (it can be downloaded from the link, for me it can by clicking on the '3 dots' on the right of the player), then you'd just need to convert your flac files to WAV. I use Linux and have a program that can do that easily, windows will probably have something also.

cheers

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
780 Posts
The question remains. Do you REALLY hear the difference between the CD and 320 kbps MP3 outside studio/high-end home audio environment?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That makes sense, as the research I did indicated a WAV file would play, but it must have been referring to a newer version than my 4th gen, which wouldn't play it.

So that earlier post I made, that is a WAV file.IF it did work, it sounds like it would be the ideal situation for your needs. A Wav is pretty much a flac equivalent, it's the cd-rom format.

If you could get someone with a newer model to test that file (it can be downloaded from the link, for me it can by clicking on the '3 dots' on the right of the player), then you'd just need to convert your flac files to WAV. I use Linux and have a program that can do that easily, windows will probably have something also.

cheers
I have dBpoweramp which has that function in it. I just wish I had known from the beginning and I would have ripped everything to an acceptable format.

The question remains. Do you REALLY hear the difference between the CD and 320 kbps MP3 outside studio/high-end home audio environment?
TBH with my gig ears probably not, but I'd rather know that I was at least trying to hear it at it's best than start off with compromised quality from the start. But hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
I don't think we're going to answer that question in this thread or maybe any thread.

It's like my point earlier, another way to deal with this situation would be to simply play the flac files over bt and use aptx-hd, which also could be debated ad nauseam to a difference in sound quality...

but the OP seems intent on having the files on a usb drive, and wants the lossless format. Who are we to argue? if that's what they want...

I'll of course continue to use bt and aptx-hd, but hey, to ea their own.

And Malang, there's probably something around that can do the conversion for you in a kind of 'batch' format, and keep the flac format also. It would be time consuming to do ea one individually for sure.

good luck

·
Registered
2014 CR-V 2.0 Lifestyle
780 Posts
but the OP seems intent on having the files on a usb drive, and wants the lossless format. Who are we to argue? if that's what they want...
I do not intend to argue. There are so many shortcomings in car audio in general or if we are not talking about a Maybach, even the possibilities to chase a desired level of sound quality regardless the money you throw at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I didn't take anything posted as argumentative.

People are legitimately trying to help when they say "well, just don't do it that way. Do it the way I do.", but it really doesn't work that way. Person A says "I'd like to paint my living room this certain shade of blue but I can't find it anywhere." and Person B says "Well, mine's painted yellow and it's great for me. Just paint yours yellow." Um, nope!

It seems like I WILL be able to do it the way I want to once I convert the files from flac to another format, so that's the plan. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Agree malang, and it's a good analogy. it kind of goes with the saying 'the road to hell, is paved with good intentions'.

I suggest things, but if someone prefers their own / different way, for whatever reasons, hey! live and let live. No one knows what's right for everyone. If they think they do, there's probably some other kind of problem(s) going on there.

cheers, let us know how it sounds when u get it all done / bought etc.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, didn't work for me. Tried the above wav file on a usb drive and it's not recognized.

But! another thing I tried, need a phone with a 3.5 jack, was the 'aux in' to just the phone. That works. Additionally, for those that have a phone with a built in 'quad dac' (my Lg V30 does), the quad dac can be turned on and it works. (you need some pretty expensive headphones that have at least a 50 ohm resistance to be able to turn the dac's on - so seems the HU provides that).

hey don't mind me, just trying to have a little fun during these trying times ;)

cheers
sadly the Gen5s don't have a audio plug. another GRRRRRRR from me.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts