Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda CR-V Hybrid EX
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I remote started my 2021 Honda CR-V hybrid earlier and it made this very loud buzzing noise from what sounds like a fan. The noise started low and got louder as the fan sped up is what I’m assuming. The vents are not moving as you can see in the video. Anyone ever hear this before? It hasn’t done it again. I’ve tried to replicate it since I got home. I know if I take it to the dealer they will say the same thing and a trip to the dealer means a half day off work for me at the least. So I’m trying to see if anyone has any clue as to what this is? Or if anyone has heard it on theirs before?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,608 Posts
Hey everyone. I remote started my 2021 Honda CR-V hybrid earlier and it made this very loud buzzing noise from what sounds like a fan. The noise started low and got louder as the fan sped up is what I’m assuming. The vents are not moving as you can see in the video. Anyone ever hear this before? It hasn’t done it again. I’ve tried to replicate it since I got home. I know if I take it to the dealer they will say the same thing and a trip to the dealer means a half day off work for me at the least. So I’m trying to see if anyone has any clue as to what this is? Or if anyone has heard it on theirs before?

Thanks!
I certainly haven't heard anything like that from mine.
What's your temperature? Is the CC system on? Could that be the electric A/C compressor? Blower?
It's cold enough here I wouldn't know. If my CC system is on is starts the ICE to get heat.
I'd see if you get the noise with the CC system off.
Could you send that video to your dealer before you take off from work? Might at least save some time when you get there.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
204 Posts
Mine definitely doesn't make that noise and I'd agree with beww I might question the compressor. Was it warmer than usual this time you remote started it? The compressor is electric and thus can run without the engine running but it shouldn't be making an audible noise like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was about 75°F. The ICE def was not on. It could have been the AC. What is weird is I tried opening the hood latch to get a better idea of where the sound was coming from. But as soon as I popped the hood the noise stopped every time. It did this 3 consecutive remote starts in a row. I cannot get it to replicate the noise again after driving home.
Was just curious if maybe someone here knew what it was or had it happen to them etc.

I’ll keep an eye on it for now. If it does it again I’ll go to the dealer and show them the recordings and just say it’s intermittent and hopefully it’s a problem they can resolve. Or hopefully it’s just something normal that happens every once in a while.
I’ll also ask if I can send the recording prior to making the trip.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid
12 Posts
it was about 75°F. The ICE def was not on. It could have been the AC. What is weird is I tried opening the hood latch to get a better idea of where the sound was coming from. But as soon as I popped the hood the noise stopped every time. It did this 3 consecutive remote starts in a row. I cannot get it to replicate the noise again after driving home.
Was just curious if maybe someone here knew what it was or had it happen to them etc.

I’ll keep an eye on it for now. If it does it again I’ll go to the dealer and show them the recordings and just say it’s intermittent and hopefully it’s a problem they can resolve. Or hopefully it’s just something normal that happens every once in a while.
I’ll also ask if I can send the recording prior to making the trip.
Thanks everyone.
Noise will stop as remote start will shut off when you open up hood. Tru starting normally and then opening hood. I have similar noise.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Noise will stop as remote start will shut off when you open up hood. Tru starting normally and then opening hood. I have similar noise.
I cannot get it to replicate the noise. When starting normally or remote starting. I will keep listening for it again. If it starts up again I will def reach out to the dealer and see what they think.
What do you think it is?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Strange, a "ghost in the machine". Best to keep an ear out. I have a one yr old 2020 hybrid, never heard that noise. Did you buy or lease? If you bought and intend on keeping long term, suggest you get an extended warranty for 8yrs/120K miles @ $1,370

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strange, a "ghost in the machine". Best to keep an ear out. I have a one yr old 2020 hybrid, never heard that noise. Did you buy or lease? If you bought and intend on keeping long term, suggest you get an extended warranty for 8yrs/120K miles @ $1,370
I have thought about that but I’m not sure the extra warranty will make sense for me.. I did buy it. Got my quote from college hills Honda and I have a little while to decide. But I generally only ever keep a car for 4-5 years before i decide i want something new. But I do keep them longer than a lease would typically make sense. I think if this is going to be an issue it will pop up again within the 3 year b2b warranty period. Or at least I hope so. Been driving all morning and have still yet to hear it again. So odd. Will update this thread if it crops back up.

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
Will update this thread if it crops back up.
Thanks.
The Hybrid doesn't (yet?) have the track record of the conventional CR-Vs, so we need to start from scratch.
Of course a lot does directly transfer, but even the Manual mentions odd noises from the Hybrid.
I would not expect what you recorded though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
yea that is a really odd sound, like something caught on one of the electric fans for the radiator. You are right about other odd sounds, my Prius made all sorts of odd sounds, sometimes hours after I turned the car off. Whirring, clunks, clicks. These cars have minds off their own :)

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
yea that is a really odd sound, like something caught on one of the electric fans for the radiator. You are right about other odd sounds, my Prius made all sorts of odd sounds, sometimes hours after I turned the car off. Whirring, clunks, clicks. These cars have minds off their own :)
It does sound like a rotary source. There are only about half a dozen things under the hood that rotate when the car isn't moving, all of them cooling related I think.
Radiator fans are the most likely I guess, if only because they are the most vulnerable.
The "hours later" sound is probably the evap cycle.
What's odd to me is engine sounds unrelated to what the car is doing. :)

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid Touring
77 Posts
I may have heard that sound. Sometimes when I start the car there is a sound amost like the engine, but it isn't the engine because the power display shows the engine off and im not running the ac compressor. I only hear it only from inside the car - I have not gotten out to listen.

I don"t remote start, only from the inside.

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
Hey everyone.he noise started low and got louder as the fan sped up is what I’m assuming. The vents are not moving as you can see in the video.

Thanks!
the vents are called Louvers., they open and close to allow the engine to heat up to operating temperature. for some did not know the words.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid Touring, White / Ivory
4 Posts
the vents are called Louvers., they open and close to allow the engine to heat up to operating temperature. for some did not know the words.
Did you ever find out what was causing this noise? It sounds to me like something fairly flimsy is brushing against one of the fans, like a leaf or twig, or some label or tag.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!
I hear the same thing on my 2021 Hybrid. Brought to the dealership and they said it was the electric A/C compressor. Unlike gas engine, this one doesn't have a belt driven A/C compressor but electric. It does go away when I turn off the A/C. The technician said it was "normal". Currently the dealership has no other hybrids for me to compare. My sales guy (who I really liked a lot) promised he would let me know when they get another hybrid in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hear the same thing on my 2021 Hybrid. Brought to the dealership and they said it was the electric A/C compressor. Unlike gas engine, this one doesn't have a belt driven A/C compressor but electric. It does go away when I turn off the A/C. The technician said it was "normal". Currently the dealership has no other hybrids for me to compare. My sales guy (who I really liked a lot) promised he would let me know when they get another hybrid in.
I'm taking delivery of my hybrid Touring in a week (fingers crossed), so I'll explore this further.

·
Super Moderator
3,608 Posts
Just went and checked mine. I do hear that sound, but WAY lower in level than the OP's original post seemed to indicate.
Though it's hard to judge loudness from a phone, as it gains up everything to audible levels.
I would have to be specifically listening for it to hear it at all I believe. I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for this thread.

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,468 Posts
If you are in the vicinty of another dealership, you should swing by and ask to listen to a car that they may have for sale to compare :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The OP mentioned remote start ... I'm wondering if, since it was warm out, and since remote start automatically maxes the AC, if that's what got the electric fan or compressor revved up more than usual. If it's a fan, probably it's variable-speed, I should think.

Completely Off-Topic: I was astonished when I just ordered my CR-V Hybrid -- I went to check out the Rav4 competition, and there were NO NEW CARS. The entire dealership for Iowa City had used models only. Orders had 4-6 months waiting times. Meanwhile, the Honda dealer was unloading a trailer-load when I arrived. [Apologies to T.M.E.]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts