Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Hoping for some outside advice, because I'm quite torn!
I'm down to choosing between a 2021 RAV4 hybrid XLE with weather package, and a 2020 CR-V hybrid EX. I've taken both for test drives, and it seems like a real tossup. This will be used for a good mix of city and freeway driving, usually for at most 2 adults, and maybe a dog in the future. We live in the midwest, so cold-weather considerations are important.
I have an appealing offer on a 2020 CR-V hybrid EX at $29K + TTL with 0.9% financing. I haven't gotten a hard quote on the RAV4 hybrid yet , but from what I can tell from my research it would be feasible to get about the same price on a 2021 XLE with weather package (adds heated seats, heated steering wheel, and de-icing rain-sensing wipers).
Here are my main thoughts thus far:
CR-V hybrid: https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/
  • Overall nicer, roomier interior with more standard features (sunroof, memory seat, soft-touch surfaces, nicer dash display, etc).
  • Mechanical AWD theoretically provides more power to rear wheels when necessary compared to e-AWD on RAV4.
  • Seems quieter and has smoother ride.
  • Remote start.
  • Nicer looking wheels (imo).

RAV4 hybrid XLE (with weather package):
  • Significantly better fuel economy (on paper it's only a few mpg, but reviews have shown cr-v hybrid to underperform epa estimate, sometimes by a lot).
  • Better hybrid battery warranty (Toyota 10yr/150k vs Honda's 8yr/100k), and overall strong Toyota hybrid reputation.
  • Better driving experience (more responsive steering, faster acceleration).
  • Heated steering wheel (reasonable alternative to remote start).
  • More aggressive/modern body styling (again, imo).
  • Has actual spare tire (cr-v just has a fix-a-flat).
Assuming I can get them to roughly the same price, which do I choose? Any major considerations I haven't mentioned here?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid Touring, Sonic Gray Pearl
78 Posts
We bought a '21 CR-V Hybrid in late March. We live in West-Central Missouri and have driven it in temps ranging from sub-freezing to mid 70's so far. We keep our speeds to under 70 MPH on the highway when we can (we almost always can), and in general, we treat our CR-V like we want it to be around for a long time (which, well, we do). Our mileage has been consistent with estimates. I'm guessing that's what your cold-weather considerations were all about. Anyway, that's where our CR-V stands so far, weather-wise/mileage-wise. Just food for thought. Good luck, whichever vehicle you decide on.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,741 Posts
Hi all,
I'm down to choosing between a 2021 RAV4 hybrid XLE with weather package, and a 2020 CR-V hybrid EX. I've taken both for test drives, and it seems like a real tossup. This will be used for a good mix of city and freeway driving, usually for at most 2 adults, and maybe a dog in the future. We live in the midwest, so cold-weather considerations are important.
I have an appealing offer on a 2020 CR-V hybrid EX at $29K + TTL with 0.9% financing. I haven't gotten a hard quote on the RAV4 hybrid yet, but from what I can tell from my research it would be feasible to get about the same price on a 2021 XLE with weather package (adds heated seats, heated steering wheel, and de-icing rain-sensing wipers).
CR-V hybrid:
  • Overall nicer, roomier interior with more standard features (sunroof, memory seat, soft-touch surfaces, nicer dash display, etc).
  • Mechanical AWD theoretically provides more power to rear wheels when necessary compared to e-AWD on RAV4.
  • Remote start.

• Significantly better fuel economy (on paper it's only a few mpg, but reviews have shown cr-v hybrid to underperform epa estimate, sometimes by a lot).
  • Better hybrid battery warranty (Toyota 10yr/150k vs Honda's 8yr/100k), and overall strong Toyota hybrid reputation.
Assuming I can get them to roughly the same price, which do I choose? Any major considerations I haven't mentioned here?
Thanks!
You might check with your insurance agent to see what each will cost to insure. I'd expect them to be very close if not the same, but it never hurts to check.
You seem to have identified pretty much the same points as I did. I felt the roomier interior and more comfortable ride trumped the Rav's pluses.
The better AWD system was also important to me. We get a LOT of snow around here.

Reactions: dbier

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi all,
I have an appealing offer on a 2020 CR-V hybrid EX at $29K + TTL with 0.9% financing. I haven't gotten a hard quote on the RAV4 hybrid yet, but from what I can tell from my research it would be feasible to get about the same price on a 2021 XLE with weather package (adds heated seats, heated steering wheel, and de-icing rain-sensing wipers).
CR-V hybrid:
  • Remote start.

Thanks!
CR-V Hybrid Touring!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Both are pretty similar quality wise with proven reputation. CRV won me over as it’s roomier for my 6’4” body and with roomier headroom I‘m able to use my cap while driving. 😊 Also was shocked on the actual headroom on passenger side on the RAV4, my head touches the headlining while sitting up. Probably not a factor to most people, just stating why I picked. Besides that had positive experience with Honda’s in past with CRV’s and Accord’s. Toyota is such a big company, they offer bunch of vehicles to choose. Honda is smaller with less lineup, as good as Honda actually is, wanted to see them to continue thriving for the sake of competition and excellence between both companies. I do own a Toyota Avalon as my daily driver, so I’m not brand bashing. Our CRV hybrid is my wife’s daily driver.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
78 Posts
The lack of the height adjustment on the passenger seat was the reason we didn't even try the rav4
Our CR-V doesn't have a passenger-side height adjustment (and it's the Touring trim too, so ??? ). Maybe it's a U.S. thing. Not that we care; all the interior dimensions are ample for us. Then again, we're not very big people.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thinking about the fuel efficiency part of the CR-V Hybrid/RAV4 Hybrid comparison again, and I'm thinking it might be at least sort of moot. Here's why: In order to get anywhere near the MPG estimate for the CR-V, you'll have to drive it prudently, as you'd expect. However, if you want to get the extra couple of MPG estimated for the Toyota, you have to drive it prudently too, just like the you'd have to drive the CR-V. If you take advange of the added performance (faster acceleration, for example) of the Toyota, I'm thinking you'll lose more than the couple of MPG you're looking to gain.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very personal choice you have to make, to be sure. I'm just saying that if you're going to lean toward the more performance-oriented of the two vehicles, then maybe you can save yourself a headache by not considering the MPG difference as much.

·
Super Moderator
3,741 Posts
Thinking about the fuel efficiency part of the CR-V Hybrid/RAV4 Hybrid comparison again, and I'm thinking it might be at least sort of moot. Here's why: In order to get anywhere near the MPG estimate for the CR-V, you'll have to drive it prudently, as you'd expect. However, if you want to get the extra couple of MPG estimated for the Toyota, you have to drive it prudently too, just like the you'd have to drive the CR-V. If you take advange of the added performance (faster acceleration, for example) of the Toyota, I'm thinking you'll lose more than the couple of MPG you're looking to gain.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very personal choice you have to make, to be sure. I'm just saying that if you're going to lean toward the more performance-oriented of the two vehicles, then maybe you can save yourself a headache by not considering the MPG difference as much.
I agree. The one or two MPG difference between the vehicles could be accounted for by tires, ambient temperature, elevation changes and a myriad of other factors.
I knew for an absolute fact that my hybrid would get better mileage than the 17 MPG that was the best I could get with the vehicle that was replaced by the CR-V (GMC Envoy).
How much better? I really don't care. I didn't buy the CR-V for its mileage, and would have bought it if it got far less than it does.
I'm happy with the car, does anything else really matter?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Our CR-V doesn't have a passenger-side height adjustment (and it's the Touring trim too, so ??? ). Maybe it's a U.S. thing. Not that we care; all the interior dimensions are ample for us. Then again, we're not very big people.
Over here on my Ex we get the passenger seat height adjustment
why can't they offer the same specification world wide?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Over here on my Ex we get the passenger seat height adjustment
We're good with the ceiling clearance but I guess it would be nice to have the higher-up perspective sometimes. How about a panoramic moon roof; do you have that option (we don't)? I guess Canada has the option. Now THAT would've been nice! I keep telling my wife that if the '22 model has the panoramic moon roof, we're going to do it all over again and then I'm getting her current CR-V. Okay, that's not going to happen, but so far she just chuckles when I mention it, so I'm going to keep riding that wave until it breaks.

·
Registered
565 Posts
We're good with the ceiling clearance but I guess it would be nice to have the higher-up perspective sometimes. How about a panoramic moon roof; do you have that option (we don't)? I guess Canada has the option. Now THAT would've been nice! I keep telling my wife that if the '22 model has the panoramic moon roof, we're going to do it all over again and then I'm getting her current CR-V. Okay, that's not going to happen, but so far she just chuckles when I mention it, so I'm going to keep riding that wave until it breaks.
Yes mine has the panoramic moon roof which on a dull day (which we get a lot of) is a real bonus

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry for digressing, Firoj. 2021 RAV4 hybrid vs 2020 CRV hybrid. Got it. Back on track.

·
Read Only
2 Posts
In my eyes, the CRV Hybrid has a big advantage: its classy looks that follow a style and not a fashion trend. Whereas the RAV4.5 clearly follows a trend, which may affect its resale value 5 years down the road.

At the same time, in the US the CRV Hybrid is not allowed to tow, which is going to be a disadvantage for some.

Also, I believe that RAV4.5-H is more expensive than the CRV-H, which is what you might find out when you finally get the firm RAV4 quote.

Are you looking at other hybrids?
I'm down to choosing between a 2021 RAV4 hybrid XLE with weather package, and a 2020 CR-V hybrid EX. I've taken both for test drives, and it seems like a real tossup. This will be
Is 2020 CRV-Hybrid a typo, or has it indeed been maturing on the dealer's lot since 2020, like one of those fancy cheeses in the cellar of a medieval monastery :)

·
Super Moderator
3,741 Posts
In my eyes, the CRV Hybrid has a big advantage: its classy looks that follow a style and not a fashion trend. Whereas the RAV4.5 clearly follows a trend, which may affect its resale value 5 years down the road.

At the same time, in the US the CRV Hybrid is not allowed to tow, which is going to be a disadvantage for some.

Also, I believe that RAV4.5-H is more expensive than the CRV-H, which is what you might find out when you finally get the firm RAV4 quote.

Are you looking at other hybrids?
The "No Tow" in the US is odd. Of course no towing rating doesn't necessarily mean you can't install a hitch for other purposes, but my dealer tells me there is no OEM hitch, but they would install a third-party one for me if I wanted (didn't ask the price).
I wonder if Honda is worried about the hitch being driven into the HV battery if you get rearended while not towing?
But then why would it be OK in the UK? Different design in the rear? Saner drivers?
Buying a hybrid to tow anything substantial is probably not the best way to go, though I have seen Priuses Towing all manner of objects.
There are threads on towing on this site of course.

(There was a cartoon in the paper the other day. A "Medieval Hybrid". A coach with a horse and an ox attached up front.)

·
Read Only
2 Posts
The "No Tow" in the US is odd. Of course no towing rating doesn't necessarily mean you can't install a hitch for other purposes, but my dealer tells me there is no OEM hitch, but they would install a third-party one for me if I wanted (didn't ask the price).
I wonder if Honda is worried about the hitch being driven into the HV battery if you get rearended while not towing?
But then why would it be OK in the UK? Different design in the rear? Saner drivers?
You are quite right; there have been some discussions about some possible reasons for "no-tow" in the US, the broad consensus being We don't know :geek:.

The dealership might be willing to install the hitch for you, but if - God forbid - your powertrain were to develop a problem under warranty, you may be charged with possession of towing paraphernalia.

Buying a hybrid to tow anything substantial is probably not the best way to go, though I have seen Priuses Towing all manner of objects.
There are threads on towing on this site of course.
I think the notion of the HEV being mostly "an exotic device with limited capabilities" for a small cadre of city-dwelling nerds and gasoline misers has largely gone away. The market now expects the HEV to do everything their gas-only counterpart would, like AWD and adequate driving dynamics, while using less gas and producing less emissions at a very moderate extra cost.

·
Super Moderator
3,741 Posts
You are quite right; there have been some discussions about some possible reasons for "no-tow" in the US, the broad consensus being We don't know :geek:.

The dealership might be willing to install the hitch for you, but if - God forbid - your powertrain were to develop a problem under warranty, you may be charged with possession of towing paraphernalia.
If I installed a hitch I would not install wiring for trailer brakes or lights, but that might not "prove" I wasn't towing, just that I wasn't doing so legally or safely. :)

Reactions: 421800

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Lets us ask: Did you ask this on a toyota forum. The same., and what were their replies?

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lets us ask: Did you ask this on a toyota forum. The same., and what were their replies?
Yes I’m curious about this replies. Yesterday I was helping my collegue (a youngster) to test drive both RAV4 and CRV. Based on his research, he was set for RAV4, asked him to do test drives first. To his surprise he liked the CRV better and bought on spot the FWD EX 1.5 Turbo. He did drive the hybrid on both but there wasn’t much on lot and RAV4 had markup price on all including the gas version. Said even with 1.5 turbo it’s a huge upgrade over his Nissan Versa. And saw that the 1.5 turbo is so good that he could pass the hybrid‘s perks. Score one for Honda!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.