Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realizing that many datelines can change with the COVID challenges, when do you think the 2021 CRV's will arrive on dealers' lots?

Do you think that Honda will offer deep discounts on remaining 2020 models when the 2021 vehicles arrive (basd on past incentives)?

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
The non hybrids usually are oct/november.
Since the hybrid debut wAs feb march they might follow that cycle going forward. I dont thinn covid will effect release dates but will change production numbers in the long game

The. Admin. Istrator.
No doubt pricing will also be impacted by inventory build up too.

Much easier to have a MY20 vehicle instantly than wait for a MY21 that will take the wrong side of weeks/months to arrive - all for a higher sticker price.

Reactions: Martha627

Registered
All bets are off with Covid; realize this will be with us for the next two years or longer..don鈥檛 count on a vaccine in the near future. With job losses, large unsold inventories etc, I could imagine the 2021 model year could be cancelled or unchanged. If you are in the market, the 2020 model year for the CRV appears to be a quality product and you certainly should be able to get a great deal.

Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
Honda only has minimal inventory usually of any model. Far less than the 60day inventory of many manufacturers.
dealers are starving. Most sales now being done by the bosses. Used values have tanked.
i had to retire one car as over the hill Rusty in March. Its not going to be replaced until it absolutely has to. If my kid鈥檚 college doesn鈥檛 reopen with on site learning, we ain鈥檛 buying anything.

Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Honda only has minimal inventory usually of any model. Far less than the 60day inventory of many manufacturers.
dealers are starving. Most sales now being done by the bosses. Used values have tanked.
i had to retire one car as over the hill Rusty in March. Its not going to be replaced until it absolutely has to. If my kid鈥檚 college doesn鈥檛 reopen with in site learning, we ain鈥檛 buying anything.
I agree with rocky on this.

While companies like Toyota typically over produce, simply because they have the production capacity and have a huge fleet sales business (which by the way inflates Toyotas total sales numbers), Honda has historically always been factory capacity limited.. with it not being uncommon for buyers to be on wait lists for really popular models and trim levels. And Honda does NOT do fleet sales.. so Honda sales reports are actually accurate reporting on sales directly to consumers, unlike Toyota's (and some other manufacturers) numbers.

As such.. Honda will be better positioned for a volume sales restart as factories get the green light to reopen under more stringent worker protections from each other.

Model year turns may very well be delayed by several months simply because much of the world wide workforce in motor vehicles has been slowed down by forced shutdowns. Time will tell.

Super Moderator
All bets are off with Covid; realize this will be with us for the next two years or longer..don鈥檛 count on a vaccine in the near future. With job losses, large unsold inventories etc, I could imagine the 2021 model year could be cancelled or unchanged. If you are in the market, the 2020 model year for the CRV appears to be a quality product and you certainly should be able to get a great deal.
COVID-19 will indeed be around for a long time yet.... and probably in waves.... but the world is not going to completely shut down over it.

As time progresses, sufficient social adaptation to the needs for social distancing and other safety protocols will become habit, and businesses will establish sufficient safety protocols for workers to keep infection spread at low levels.... as long as the public does not do a nutty and simply ignore social distancing and person-2-person safety requirements to severely limit infection spread.

And as long as there is no credit crunch in the consumer finance segment of the economy, owners will keep on buying if they indeed are looking for a new vehicle. Same with leasing, which relies on commercial credit financing channels in the economy. If credit markets freeze up though, like it did in the great recession... that will really bring the motor vehicle industry to a stand still. But central banks appear to be acting early and aggressively to prevent any freezing in the credit markets.. so I think the risk is low at this point in time.

Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
There are plenty of people whose jobs have disappeared and I'm afraid their credit with it. That said, those with cash and jobs will continue to buy and bring the economy back.
2019 car sales in the US were 17 million. They were hoping for as many this year. Currently they are projecting 13-14 million.

Reactions: williamsji

The. Admin. Istrator.

Registered
In the UK, car sales have absolutely tanked:

I expect something similar here in the US. And not just for new cars.

In fact, the wholesale used car market is already tanking.

"No one has ever seen a mess like this before."

Super Moderator
I expect something similar here in the US. And not just for new cars.

In fact, the wholesale used car market is already tanking.

"No one has ever seen a mess like this before."

Context is important here.

In reading the linked article... the primary cause here is the auction houses going virtual. Buyers at auctions want and need to actually see, touch, and inspect the vehicles... so I am not surprised sales via the auction houses is essentially shut down right now.

Likewise.. most dealers in the US are closed to the public right now except for service and maintenance. Many dealers still are selling vehicles.. but it is a buy online model, and delivery to your home and signing of final paperwork. And.. just like buyers at auction houses, potential buyers are going to want to see, touch, and inspect used vehicles before buying. It is very different than new car sales for most buyers... so until dealers open.... not many used cars will be sold by dealers. Most actual used car sales right now are probably between private owner and buyer.

When dealers reopen... they will need used inventory to sell (since used car sales are more than 2x new car sales in the US market). That in turn will put pressure back on auction houses to meet the needs of inspection and good old fashioned "tire kicking".

This effect presented in the article is short tgerm and will end when the shutdowns end and communities reopen in more restricted social distancing protocols.

It is the credit markets, and employment and income insecurity with the buying community that will have the most long term effects from COVID-19.

Registered
Context is important here.

In reading the linked article... the primary cause here is the auction houses going virtual. Buyers at auctions want and need to actually see, touch, and inspect the vehicles... so I am not surprised sales via the auction houses is essentially shut down right now.

Likewise.. most dealers in the US are closed to the public right now except for service and maintenance. Many dealers still are selling vehicles.. but it is a buy online model, and delivery to your home and signing of final paperwork. And.. just like buyers at auction houses, potential buyers are going to want to see, touch, and inspect used vehicles before buying. It is very different than new car sales for most buyers... so until dealers open.... not many used cars will be sold by dealers. Most actual used car sales right now are probably between private owner and buyer.

When dealers reopen... they will need used inventory to sell (since used car sales are more than 2x new car sales in the US market). That in turn will put pressure back on auction houses to meet the needs of inspection and good old fashioned "tire kicking".

This effect presented in the article is short tgerm and will end when the shutdowns end and communities reopen in more restricted social distancing protocols.

It is the credit markets, and employment and income insecurity with the buying community that will have the most long term effects from COVID-19.
Agreed, except I'm not optimistic for a short term recovery.

Namely, I believe that recovering from the current high unemployment will be a process extending well into 2021 -- and maybe into 2022.

Super Moderator
Agreed, except I'm not optimistic for a short term recovery.

Namely, I believe that recovering from the current high unemployment will be a process extending well into 2021 -- and maybe into 2022.
I agree with you. My reference to "short term" was the slump in auctions sales.. which is due to 1) no ability to inspect vehicles in advance of auction, and 2) limited demand by dealers since dealerships are largely closed for used car sales right now. Those will bounce back pretty well once the auctions go back to in person attendance.. and may see a modest increase as more people see a good quality used car instead of a new on in the aftermath of the pandemic.

The vehicle market will most likely be soft for several years after things get restarted, but as was true in 2008.. there will still be plenty of buyers as long as credit markets are not frozen. Some will not be buying of course, or delaying purchase, due to unemployment or other financial hardship due to the pandemic.

Super Moderator - How may I help?
I agree with you. My reference to "short term" was the slump in auctions sales.. which is due to 1) no ability to inspect vehicles in advance of auction, and 2) limited demand by dealers since dealerships are largely closed for used car sales right now. Those will bounce back pretty well once the auctions go back to in person attendance.. and may see a modest increase as more people see a good quality used car instead of a new on in the aftermath of the pandemic.

The vehicle market will most likely be soft for several years after things get restarted, but as was true in 2008.. there will still be plenty of buyers as long as credit markets are not frozen. Some will not be buying of course, or delaying purchase, due to unemployment or other financial hardship due to the pandemic.
And, I read this morning, that Hertz is a possibility for bankruptcy, which will add a huge number of late model cars into the used car market, additionally softening the used car prices...if that happens...but of course,, Hertz doesn't normally have Hondas.

Registered
Realizing that many datelines can change with the COVID challenges, when do you think the 2021 CRV's will arrive on dealers' lots?

Do you think that Honda will offer deep discounts on remaining 2020 models when the 2021 vehicles arrive (basd on past incentives)?
I just bought a 2020. Huge rebate. 7000 less then when I looked in December plus unbeatable financing

Read Only
This is likely true. As to used cars, the values have seen a large decrease. I read an article this week that said Hertz may have to file bankruptcy. With little air travel, the rental car market has also tanked. Dumping large numbers of rental cars on the market in case of bankruptcy certainly won't help used car prices.

I do agree one should be able to get a good deal on a new car in stock now due to the sharp decline in sales.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Registered
I thought the same too ,to wait. I traded in my lease. Washed my hands. No money down on a 2020. Payment $60/month less. Never seen this and this is my 6th crv I think. Was itching, think I owed more and it had dings on it.

Registered
A month ago I asked my dealer about a hybrid CRV touring. Told him price is paramount, I was only interested if it was a good price. He claimed that these are selling good and going for close to MSRP, and they did not have one on the lot. He also said the dealership looks like a ghost town. No customers and nobody even looking.

Just yesterday he emailed me and said they have one. "Dealer Price:$37,070" which is MSRP. Guess he didn't want to make the sale to me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.