Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

6655 42

So do we just give up on the 2020 Hybrid CRV and wait for this thing. If Toyota could pull their head out of their butt and and Android Auto and XM to these models, I don't see any reason to buy the CRV. Besides just being a fanboy.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Not if Toyota has already reached their volume limit on the tax credit. And with the limited range (39 miles), it may not qualify for the full tax credit regardless.

It may, or it may not. I encourage people to research first before committing to buy.
They’re not close to the phaseout yet, and the credit is a direct function of the battery size, not range. Presumably the battery pack will be larger than the Prius Prime, so it should be at least $4500. If it’s the size of the Mitsubishi PHEV battery you’re looking at close to $6000

· Registered
7 Posts
Agreed... except the 2021 RAV4 Hybrid Prime Plug-in will be WAY more expensive than the 2020 CRV Hybrid.

I'm guessing the RAV4 Prime will be at least US$55,000 out-the-door.

And if there's no tax credit?

My estimated price breakdown:
-- $37k for 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
-- Add $10k for 302hp Prime Plug-in package
-- Add $3k for option packages (Tech, Weather, Protective)
-- Add $2k for typical extras
-- Tax, license, registration, delivery, extended warranty.
-- Maybe ~$3k dealer markup.

That is, initially I bet the RAV4 Prime is offered only on a restricted-availability loaded top-of-the-line Limited model.

And even if it's eventually offered on a base model, I expect the RAV4 Prime will still be $10k-ish more expensive than a comparable CRV Hybrid.

No thanks.

Instead, to replace my current 2011 CRV SE AWD, I'll be looking for a base CRV Hybrid hopefully around $30k.
Nice assumptions...too bad Toyota already said that this will only be available with the SE and XSE trims.

· Registered
7 Posts
I agree, eventually we'll see low-$40K lower-trim RAV4 Prime models.

But still, that's much more expensive than the sub-$30K I expect for a lower-trim 2020 CRV Hybrid.

Anyway, 300hp notwithstanding, for me a plug-in hybrid just isn't worth the added cost & complexity. And down the road, the larger plug-in battery will likely be much more expensive to replace. Not good for a brand that's noted for longevity.

All I know for sure is, my one-owner low-mile 2011 CRV SE AWD is running great. So I'm willing to wait & see.
I played around with the Toyota configurator, and it looks like the Hybrid option is only $425 more than the equivalent AWD version (across all the trims the hybrid is offered). Toyota already mentioned that the plugin will only be available in the SE and XSE trim. The XSE Hybrid is currently $34K. The Prius Prime is an additional $3500 over the regular Prius. Let's say the RAV4 Prime has a $5000 premium over the hybrid. That means the top-trim model would come out to around $39K, and once you factor in the $6K federal tax credit that's down to $33K. The SE is probably a couple thousand cheaper than the XSE, so net price of that trim is probably real close to $30K. Throw in the additional state incentives, and it might even drop below $30K.

· Registered
7 Posts
Anyway, now that I think about it, I hope you're right about a $30K net price for the RAV4 Prime. It might persuade Honda to offer incentives on the CRV -- especially the non-hybrids.
This is the best way to look at it. I love it when a competitor improves their product, because it means my preferred automaker will either have to up their game, reduce their price to remain competitive, or I have a better alternative (namely the other competitor) to turn to. It's a win-win as a consumer. The only people who lose are fanboys (and maybe current owners if it means their resale value goes down).

· Registered
7 Posts
The RAV4 PHEV will not qualify for any federal tax credit if its battery is 4 kw or less and its current hybrid battery packs 1.9 KW for roughly the same mpg gain.
Considering it gets more range than the Prius Prime, and it's heavier, I'm pretty sure it's battery is going to larger than the 8.8 kWH battery in that car. Frankly that's already a foregone conclusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.