Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2021 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

8K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Chehalisjeff 
#1 ·

So do we just give up on the 2020 Hybrid CRV and wait for this thing. If Toyota could pull their head out of their butt and and Android Auto and XM to these models, I don't see any reason to buy the CRV. Besides just being a fanboy.

#4 ·
Maybe this:

The RAV4 Prime uses a tuned version of the 2.5-liter, four-cylinder gasoline engine. Combined with the electric motors, total system output is 302 HP, sent to all four wheels. It’s a plug-in hybrid and has an all-electric mode with an estimated range of 39 miles, which is very impressive. The combined fuel economy rating comes to a manufacturer-estimated 90 MPGe. Zero to 60 mph happens in a claimed 5.8 seconds.

#8 ·
I was born in 1979. In late 1982, my mother got rid of her horrendous 1977 Dodge Dart in favor of a RWD 1983 Corolla. In 1986 my father bought my family's first Camry He drove it off the lot with exactly five miles on the odometer. I was seven years old, sitting in the back seat, but I was leaning forward with my hands and body squeezing between the plush and fuzzy bucket seats.

A year and a half later, my mother traded the Corolla for a 1988 Camry. In 1994, she traded that for a 1995 Camry. In late 1995, I was 16 and I told my father I was commandeering his 1986 Camry with 187K on the clock and he had to buy himself a replacement, so he bought a 1996 Camry that was stolen three months after delivery and stripped so badly it was declared a total loss. Then he bought another 1996 Camry to replace the stolen vehicle.

In 2004, we bought a used 1985 Camry. To say we were a bit obsessed is an understatement. The 1986 and 1996 vehicles both clocked over 300K original miles with us. I sold the 1996 after my father died in 2012 with 308K on the clock and I just recently got a Carfax update indicating its subsequent owner(s) have now driven it to a total of 392K and counting. I got careless and crashed the 1986 car with 332K in 2007 and I got rear-ended in the 1985 Camry in 2014. I hit the car in front of me, so I became the middle part of a three-car sandwich and the damage to the front and rear of the '85 car was too severe to save it.

In late 1995, after I hijacked possession of the 1986 Camry, we looked at the new Accord, Civic, Corolla, and Camry. On the Honda side, we loved the Civic, but hated that generation Accord. On the Toyota side, we liked both a lot, but the Camry was clearly a superior choice for its extra size and power over the Corolla. So it became a bit of an unfair fight between the '96 Civic and Camry. The Honda dealer called to follow up after our Civic test drive, and I told him we were simply more comfortable with Toyota. He said he has known lots of people on both sides of that coin, and they rarely ever switch over to the other team.

24 years later, sitting in a 2019 Honda feels similar to me to sitting in a 1996 Honda. Sitting in a 2019 Toyota feels like sitting in a spaceship. Toyota has betrayed me and in my opinion, betrayed itself, its roots, and its entire company history. After a brief (at least it's brief for me when it comes to cars and their longevity) digression to Nissan for the past six years, I'm scheduled to pick up my first Honda in exactly 24 hours. Wish me luck.

The 2019 Rav4 has a traditional oil filter, not like the Tacoma featured in the below video, but the Rav4 calls for 0W-16 full synthetic. Good luck getting that oil at Walmart or anywhere other than a Toyota dealer. It's an undeniably shameless cash grab. Makes me think whoever is running Toyota Motor Corporation has a lot of experience in taxation and government-sanctioned racketeering.

The 2021 Rogue looks more intimidating than the 2021 Rav4, regardless of combined horsepower. I wouldn't touch a Toyota with a 10 foot pole at this point. They have simply disappointed me too much and strayed too far from what made them great.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
So you are old and cars changed and you didn't.

Are we still doing OK BOOMER?
More like cars got worse and I got better. I realize that's some vaguely obscure political reference, but the youngest "boomer" is at least 15 years older than me. You can call me Boomer. He pitched a Perfect Game.

Interesting username. :unsure:
Reference to song lyrics. Can you guess which Boomer wrote them? I'll give you a hint: it wasn't some corporate hack who writes all of Taylor Swift's albums for maximum commercial appeal.

#28 ·
Well, I thought I was going to be putting down money for a 2020 CR-V Hybrid, in all likelihood, until the details of this were announced. Now I might be holding off to see how the RAV4 Prime pans out. Given I plan to move within 5-10 miles of my office next year (currently live 30 miles away), the plug-in would be right within that range. It will come down to compromises and price.

#31 ·
If you can hold off until the 2021 RAV4 plugin comes out... maybe wait another year until the gen6 CRV releases... as it may very well also have a plugin version in the line up. Hopefully... when Honda does release a plugin hybrid CRV... they do it world wide.. and not follow how they did the rollout of the gen5 hybrid.... in EU only for the first year or two.

#32 ·
Well the recent update of the RAV 4 did not exactly hit it out of the park. Lots of complaints about the handling and rough engine. I'm assuming the Prime will be an improvement, especially with the horsepower bump and 40 mile all electric range. I do far prefer Toyota's Synergy AWD system over the mechanical AWD on the Hybrid CR-V.

#34 ·
was looking at the crv hybrid but the prime looks superior in all the numbers HP, acceleration, 39 ev range (on a normal workday I won't use any gas). Edmund says the battery should be big enough to qualify for the tax credit.price should be competitive, what am I missing here.I don't consider Honda quality to be a differentiating factor any longer, maybe in the past. downside for both models would be increased complexity of dual systems and first year bugs. not sure how seamless the transition is as well sometimes it can be loud, jarring switch-over to gas.
I find myself moving along this train of thought even further. what about decreasing complexity by a large margin. increasing acceleration. Never having to pull into a gas station. Eliminating the maintenance minder because none is needed, other then tire care and some fluids. What about a Tesla model Y? yes I know the price is low 50s with no tax break instead of low 40s with a break. but is it worthy of some consideration here , what do you think?

#39 · (Edited)
Read the spec details closer... this is NOT and electric vehicle... it is a plugin hybrid. They are in fact different.

If you think you will never need to stop into a gas station with the 2021 plug-in hybrid.. you are either never going to drive more then 30ish or so miles a day and always plugin overnight .... or you are deluding yourself.

AND... since it still has a gas engine component.. it will still require regular gas engine maintenance. Even if you literally never drive enough distance to fire up the gas engine.. it still needs to have the oil and other fluids changed periodically.

As for Teslas.. if you think they are zero maintenance ... you have been drinking too much Elon Musk flavored coolaid. :)

#38 ·
this was from Edmunds but they are guessing
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4-prime/

Specific details regarding the battery's size and recharge time were not available at press time. But we know it takes a good-size lithium-ion battery pack to enable 39 miles of range in something like a compact all-wheel-drive SUV. Our back-of-envelope estimation suggests that 16 kWh should just about do it, and that just happens to be the minimum size necessary to qualify for the full federal tax credit of $7,500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.