Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Read the spec details closer... this is NOT and electric vehicle... it is a plugin hybrid. They are in fact different.

If you think you will never need to stop into a gas station with the 2021 plug-in hybrid.. you are either never going to drive more then 30ish or so miles a day and always plugin overnight .... or you are deluding yourself.

AND... since it still has a gas engine component.. it will still require regular gas engine maintenance. Even if you literally never drive enough distance to fire up the gas engine.. it still needs to have the oil and other fluids changed periodically.

As for Teslas.. if you think they are zero maintenance ... you have been drinking too much Elon Musk flavored coolaid. :)
And in winter cold the battery gives you less power so your MPG drops.

Depending on your driving pattern, you could be weeks before gassing up or have to settle for only 60 MPG. I have a friend who commutes in a PHEV and he only gets 87 MPG lifetime.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Read the spec details closer... this is NOT and electric vehicle... it is a plugin hybrid. They are in fact different.

correct a hybrid eliminates charging on longer trips

If you think you will never need to stop into a gas station with the 2021 plug-in hybrid.. you are either never going to drive more then 30ish or so miles a day and always plugin overnight .... or you are deluding yourself.

yes during a normal work day I drive less then 30 miles

AND... since it still has a gas engine component.. it will still require regular gas engine maintenance. Even if you literally never drive enough distance to fire up the gas engine.. it still needs to have the oil and other fluids changed periodically.

yes this would be the same as the Honda hybrid but you would be getting 39 miles instead of 3

As for Teslas.. if you think they are zero maintenance ... you have been drinking too much Elon Musk flavored coolaid. :)
correct some maintenance , air conditioning service every 6 years, clean and lube the brake pads ever once and awhile. you hardly use them so prone to sticking. and little stuff cabin air filter every two years

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why would you "give up" on the 2020 CR-V Hybrid? Barring unforeseen catastrophe, It's clearly going to be on dealer floors rather sooner than a '21 Toyota.
I certainly would not give up on the Honda so quickly. For me, it's not just a matter of Toyota vs. Honda - it's what works for me. I own a 2015 CRV-EXL and have not had one problem with it as it nears 100k miles. The only things I've replaced are the tires @65k and the battery - not because it failed, but because I thought it was a bit too small and I wanted something with a little more juice.

That said, I'm happy with my Honda and I expect to keep it for at least a few more years. I am already thinking about what I would replace it with. Here's my BIG problem with the RAV4: When I sit in it, with the seat adjusted to my leg length (this also applies to the larger Highlander) my shoulder hits the pillar. I have wider-than-normal shoulders but I just can't imagine driving for miles with my shoulder rubbing up against that metal. In my CRV, I have an inch or two airspace between my shoulder and the interior side of the car. Also, getting in and out of the RAV4 I have to bend my head down to clear the roof - in my CRV I don't. The proportions of the RAV4 (I have sat in the 2019 but nothing newer, yet) just don't work for me.

The other thing I am not wild about in the RAV4 is the interior trim. It looks plastic and, well... cheaper than the Honda (in general.) That is, comparing like-same trim levels.

The PROPOSED features of the 2021 RAV4 are impressive. We still don't know what Honda has in the oven for 2021 yet, but it will be interesting to see how this all shakes down over the next couple of years.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts