Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, if I understand you correctly -- you put your fob under the floor mat for a week and then placed the fob on your person (probably in your pocket) for a few weeks and that seems to have corrected the problem ? Perhaps you are on to something. Maybe a few more people who are having BCM issues will try what you did and we shall see if indeed this is working. Will look forward to see some responses -- be they positive or negative.

I have no idea if it helped, from what I'm seeing the BCM is giving everyone diff issues, mine is that the car always needs to see it. if i lock the doors and walk away the panic alarm goes off disables the fob to open the door giving i cannot see fob error & all my dash l lights are on with a 0 on the odometer. if i leave the car unlocked & walk away with fob i come back later & same thing as above except no alarm as the car was unlocked just dash lights and errors. i said screw it hopefully this will get stolen & just left the fob under the matt for little over a week & everything was fine with the car unlocked & fob under matt. now its been over a week & i stopped doing it & everything has been fine. I will let you know if it starts up again. parts are on order & will prob take months. just cant believe a Honda of all brands would crap out on me, been driving them since 91 & have had 8 of them between my wife & i since & this is the worst situation i have been put in, think i'll try Toyota on my next car. I also want to mention going everywhere & disconnecting the battery to prevent this cannot be good. im still hearing an arc when i connect the negative back on.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
think i'll try Toyota on my next car
Deluded if you think "Toyota" is a pseudo-solution.

parts are on order & will prob take months
Yes - read this thread instead of ranting. Component supply issues are affecting ALL car OEMs, not just Honda. Calm down and be rational - granted, its not a nice position to be in, but short of getting rid of your car, employ patience. You arent the only one affected so stop behaving like you are. :rolleyes:

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Good result Sir.

Hopefully more components become available for all those who are in need.

Reactions: pookh007

·
Registered
CRV 2018 RW1 Australian Spec
8 Posts
My wait is over so far. Waited for 4 months. After opened case with Honda HQ recieved BCM within a month. Today was installed. Took them less than a 2 hours. So far everything works fine (fingers crossed).
Do you know what was the part number mentioned on the new BCM? Is it the same part number as the old part? Please be kind enough to mention the part numbers if you know them. Thank you.

·
Registered
CRV 2018 RW1 Australian Spec
8 Posts
Hi all. I have managed to import the BCM from Honda Australia to Sri Lanka as my CRV is an import from Australia. The new part number of the BCM is 38809-TMM-Q310-M1 and the old part number is 38800-TLA-Q312-M1. I had a massive doubt with these part numbers but Honda Australia clarified that the new part number is because of a new manufacturer. The new part number that is currently in stock suits my VIN so it should be a correct fit.

The old BCM was failing gradually. Initially the problems occurred once/twice a week, but for the past few weeks it had issues every time the vehicle was shut down with the battery connected.

Good news is that the new part has been fixed and the vehicle seems to show no problems after that. I had to get both the keys programmed to the new BCM. With the old part the immobilizer switches on immediately after the vehicle is shut down. This does not occur anymore.

I’m pretty sure this replacement has fixed the issue. I hope I do not have to go through this problem again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The body control module in my 2018 CRV (Touring) has unfortunately become faulty. It automatically switches on the instrument cluster and the immobilizer after the vehicle is locked. This issue keeps draining the vehicle's battery which then in turn sets off the anti-theft alarm (usually at 3am!). This thread has restored some of my sanity but I’m really disappointed to learn of the chip shortage causing huge back-order delays. I’ve yet to successfully reach the parts department of my local Honda Dealership. I’ll just keep calling until I get someone on the phone. Since I’m 99.9% sure it’s a defective BCM based on the excellent information I’ve learned from this thread, my plan is to have the local Dealer (or should I contact Honda North America instead?) order the part immediately and hopefully I’ll be provided an estimated delivery date (which I understand may and most likely will be pushed out further as time goes on). In the meantime, my car is basically useless and sits in the garage with the battery terminal disconnected. I’d like to respectfully file a formal complaint with Honda North America (I understand that it’s a quality issue with Honda’s 3rd Party Supplier and not Honda specifically) to see if Honda Corporate can offer me any financial consideration on helping with the cost of the part/replacement repair since my car is still less than 4 years old with only just over 46,000 miles driven. It just seems wrong that I should be responsible for a $1000+ fix for something of this nature. Any advice on how to best approach Honda North America Customer Care (e-mail, phone, twitter…) is sincerely appreciated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The body control module in my 2018 CRV (Touring) has unfortunately become faulty. It automatically switches on the instrument cluster and the immobilizer after the vehicle is locked. This issue keeps draining the vehicle's battery which then in turn sets off the anti-theft alarm (usually at 3am!). This thread has restored some of my sanity but I’m really disappointed to learn of the chip shortage causing huge back-order delays. I’ve yet to successfully reach the parts department of my local Honda Dealership. I’ll just keep calling until I get someone on the phone. Since I’m 99.9% sure it’s a defective BCM based on the excellent information I’ve learned from this thread, my plan is to have the local Dealer (or should I contact Honda North America instead?) order the part immediately and hopefully I’ll be provided an estimated delivery date (which I understand may and most likely will be pushed out further as time goes on). In the meantime, my car is basically useless and sits in the garage with the battery terminal disconnected. I’d like to respectfully file a formal complaint with Honda North America (I understand that it’s a quality issue with Honda’s 3rd Party Supplier and not Honda specifically) to see if Honda Corporate can offer me any financial consideration on helping with the cost of the part/replacement repair since my car is still less than 4 years old with only just over 46,000 miles driven. It just seems wrong that I should be responsible for a $1000+ fix for something of this nature. Any advice on how to best approach Honda North America Customer Care (e-mail, phone, twitter…) is sincerely appreciated!
Welcome to the club, unfortunately. I would hold off on filing a complaint. There could be a chance that it's not the BCM but the only way to know for sure is taking it to the dealer and paying a couple hundred to diagnose which sucks. However, if you are certain the symptoms are similar to what everyone here is experiencing then its likely the BCM, especially given its a 5th gen CRV. I would first reach out to American Honda and ask if they can provide any assistance since this is a defective part on their end. I would be polite as possible with the customer service folks, they are nice people after all. They will start an application and get you in touch with a manager who will review it and decide if they can provide some kind of assistance (I hear sometimes they cover the whole thing but other times they will offer to cover a percentage like 50%). Once that happens you will get put into a queue with many other people waiting for the part as well. Unfortunately, the chip supplier is the issue here because instead of say supplying 50 chips for a given month, they only send 10. So this delays it for everyone and nothing Honda can really do about it. But definitely reach out to them first before doing anything else. Once they approve some kind of good will your dealer can place the order for the BCM.

Aside from that, the car is still usable. You just have to disconnect the negative terminal every time you shut off the car for a long period of time. The warning messages that pop up do disappear after you drive at like 20 mph for a couple minutes. Also don't forget to hit the econ button which also gets reset. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2021 CRV EX-L
1,155 Posts
Another example of why people should buy a Honda Care warranty. Not necessarily at the time of purchase, but at some time before the factory warranty expires. There are just too many electronic modules on a modern car to go wrong on a $30k+ vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome to the club, unfortunately. I would hold off on filing a complaint. There could be a chance that it's not the BCM but the only way to know for sure is taking it to the dealer and paying a couple hundred to diagnose which sucks. However, if you are certain the symptoms are similar to what everyone here is experiencing then its likely the BCM, especially given its a 5th gen CRV. I would first reach out to American Honda and ask if they can provide any assistance since this is a defective part on their end. I would be polite as possible with the customer service folks, they are nice people after all. They will start an application and get you in touch with a manager who will review it and decide if they can provide some kind of assistance (I hear sometimes they cover the whole thing but other times they will offer to cover a percentage like 50%). Once that happens you will get put into a queue with many other people waiting for the part as well. Unfortunately, the chip supplier is the issue here because instead of say supplying 50 chips for a given month, they only send 10. So this delays it for everyone and nothing Honda can really do about it. But definitely reach out to them first before doing anything else. Once they approve some kind of good will your dealer can place the order for the BCM.

Aside from that, the car is still usable. You just have to disconnect the negative terminal every time you shut off the car for a long period of time. The warning messages that pop up do disappear after you drive at like 20 mph for a couple minutes. Also don't forget to hit the econ button which also gets reset. Good luck!
Thanks for the helpful feedback. I'll definitely follow your advice on contacting American Honda first before placing my BCM part order with the local Dealer. I'll be certain to be polite when dealing with Honda Customer Care -- I suspect that they're also very frustrated about this situation which is shared by so many now. I would feel very fortunate if they were willing to share any percentage of the financial burden in remedying this problem. Once a decision is made (with or without compensation), only then will I place my order based on your suggestion. Also, that's very interesting about the very limited quantity of chips currently being supplied...I suspect the manufacturer has had, or continues to have, operations slowed or halted due to the current Pandemic. I suspect patience will be a necessary virtue and it'll be a long road to closure. Thanks again for taking time out to offer a fellow CRV owner advice--it's much appreciated!

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Thanks again for taking time out to offer a fellow CRV owner advice--it's much appreciated!
Thank you too, for having a very calm and rational approach - very refreshing :)

Keep us updated too please 👌

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I woke up this AM and I go to start up my 2018 CRV was dead in the water. No lights, accessories nothing. I jump it and get it started, let it run for about 30 min and then go take it for a drive to get all the systems reset. I get home and go to turn off the CRV and it will not turn off! I get glitching electrical problem where it seems to be struggling to turn off. After several more attempts it finally goes off. I go back in the house to get some coffee and breakfast and when I go back out to the garage, the CRV has turned itself on in Accessory mode.

To make a long story short, this happened all morning. I had already checked the battery, battery connections, fuses, etc. Everything looked fine. Did some research and made sure that the shifter was fully in park as I had read that sometimes if it is off by mm's it would not recognize it being in park. I finally had enough and called the dealership and they told me to bring it down. I dropped it off and they called me back 30 min asking if I turn it off with my foot on the break keeping it in "Accessory mode" and wanted me to come back, pick it up, and monitor it. That way I would not have to pay the diagnostic fee. I agreed I would, but about an hour later they called and said it had turned on Accessory mode by itself and would send it over to the shop to have it looked it.

Another hour passed and they called back and said the shop manager is pretty confident that the issue is the Keyless Access Control Unit as he said its not a common problem but on the tech bulletins this is an issue with the Honda Pilot right down to the last detail. I am at 61k miles so this is not going to be under warranty and I am looking at $729 for parts and labor. The Service manager said they have never seen this problem before so it was a first for them there.

The big problem is the Keyless Access Control Unit is on back order and could be weeks to months till it comes in even on "critical" back order. That fine and all but that means my CRV will drain the battery every night until it is fixed unless I disconnect that battery, but that still means resetting the systems every time the battery is reconnected. I am going to go tomorrow and buy a 12 volt battery maintainer so I do not have to keep disconnecting the battery when I have it at home. I will have to limit my errands to a few hours so that battery does not completely drain but will bring my portable jumper just in case. Its like ghost has taken over my CRV.

Has anyone experienced anything even remotely similar to this ??? Do you agree that it could be the Keyless Access Control Unit? I was thinking it was possibly the ignition, but the dealer said it was not. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Is it a CR-V or a Pilot...??? Confusing statements.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have no idea if it helped, from what I'm seeing the BCM is giving everyone diff issues, mine is that the car always needs to see it. if i lock the doors and walk away the panic alarm goes off disables the fob to open the door giving i cannot see fob error & all my dash l lights are on with a 0 on the odometer. if i leave the car unlocked & walk away with fob i come back later & same thing as above except no alarm as the car was unlocked just dash lights and errors. i said screw it hopefully this will get stolen & just left the fob under the matt for little over a week & everything was fine with the car unlocked & fob under matt. now its been over a week & i stopped doing it & everything has been fine. I will let you know if it starts up again. parts are on order & will prob take months. just cant believe a Honda of all brands would crap out on me, been driving them since 91 & have had 8 of them between my wife & i since & this is the worst situation i have been put in, think i'll try Toyota on my next car. I also want to mention going everywhere & disconnecting the battery to prevent this cannot be good. im still hearing an arc when i connect the negative back on.
Now that it has been a few weeks, did that little trick actually solve your issue? Did the issue/alarm ever return?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to update you on the latest with my BCM Warranty exception request with Honda Corporate. Today they responded:
"Unfortunately, due to an ongoing global automotive part shortage affecting all automotive brands, certain parts may be unavailable or on national backorder with no ETA available. If you have not done so, we advise reaching out to the Parts Manager at the Honda dealership the parts were ordered from and asking to see if the part order was placed as a critical backorder. Having the order placed as a critical backorder will ensure that the dealership is prioritized, and the parts will be sent to the dealership upon first availability."
The Customer Service Rep did go onto state: "I will be dispatching your initial case concern to a Case Manager for further review. Due to the above referenced circumstances, part expediting is not guaranteed. Also, as the vehicle is outside of the warranty parameters, assistance for the cost of the repairs, if consider, will not be in full. Additionally, financial assistance is not guaranteed."
When asking about how long the case typically takes to resolve (for the good or bad), the Customer Service Rep stated:
"They generally take about 3-6 weeks to be reviewed and for a decision to be provided, but depending on the circumstances, it could take more or less."
The Customer Service Rep then suggested: "I would advise on placing the order, as the part is on Backorder, it still may take some time to get the part."

I then reached out to the Dealer and had them place a critical backorder for the BCM. (No ETA was able to be given at the time of placing my part order unfortunately) If I do get some type of financial assistance from Corporate Honda, I'll then try to work with my Local Honda Dealer to refund me the difference. I just felt that at this time it was best to go ahead and pay for the part to be ordered...and then I'll cross the re-reimbursement bridge if/when it comes to that (if I'm so lucky).

I'll update this thread once I learn more. Thanks again for the helpful feedback being provided by this excellent Community of like-minded people. 🙌🏻

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone! I joined the BCM Club in early June in Sacramento, Ca! I have a different story then what I have read here. I took the car in to the dealership to update the computer since it was acting up on me. Rep told me that "my after market alarm would damage the electrical system!" Excuse me? I never put one in and by the way I bought the car here! Then he proceeded with the conversation as I was not telling the truth! So here's what I learned and this bothered me! Dealerships place the after market alarms to avoid theft from the lots. THEN, they try to up sell them and make money off it! LOL So this after market system that I never put in the car blew up my BCM...thankfully I have the extended warranty and I will fight the $100 deductible HARD since I was not even close do my doing! In the mean time I have been disconnecting my battery.. 2 of 10 times I have issues with starting up the car. Put in a claim at Honda this morning and hoping that will add more of us to the pile. Crossing my fingers for 8 August like the rest of us fools! =(

201 - 220 of 257 Posts