Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

What MPG are you getting on average from your Honda CR-V Hybrid? (US MPG)

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I have used the ECON button mostly
Turn that off - its a major performance hindrance.

There are others that do more than 75% hyw and are getting 37 to 39.
If you are driving at or close to 70mph, then it stands to reason your MPG is poor. All Hybrids are rubbish beyond 60mph - they are not designed for high speed (or fuel efficiency!).

Turn off ECON and drive below 70mph and I am sure you will see a positive uptick in your fuel economy :)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have done ONLY city driving not taking mine to work on a full tank......did not matter. 31 MPG. There are others that do more than 75% hyw and are getting 37 to 39. Several.
Now that I see a pic of your V, I can see a few things that may be impeding MPG's. Especially at hwy speeds...

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Agreed @Mike728

That front end cover and roof basket will shatter air flow at any speed - more so at high(er) speed(s).

Your MPG is commensurate with the excess stuff you have on your car. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: EXcommunicated

·
Registered
2020 Honda CRV Touring Hybrid
30 Posts
Agreed @Mike728

That front end cover and roof basket will shatter air flow at any speed - more so at high(er) speed(s).

Your MPG is commensurate with the excess stuff you have on your car. 🤷‍♂️
I have done a few tanks with both the basket off, then basket and bra off. Did not make a diff.

Also, you keep saying these are not meant for hwy speed. I have stated more than once I do not go past 68 mph. So you are saying that when Honda says 35 MPG HWY, that is at 45 mph? No.

Also, how is it that many others are going 70+ and getting 37 to 40 MPG? It has been said by many they get good mpg at HWY speeds.

The point is only some Hybrids get the stated MPG or better while others get very poor MPG.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
So you are saying that when Honda says 35 MPG HWY, that is at 45 mph? No.
MPG that Honda records is done with unreal parameters to eke out maximum economy.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out that if you go faster, fuel economy plummets. It was one of the primary reasons I didnt go for the Hybrid because of its MPG declining at faster speeds and I can get better returns at higher speeds with my 1.5T.

The point is only some Hybrids get the stated MPG or better while others get very poor MPG.
UK Hybrid owners largely beg to differ as evidenced on this site.

Until you turn ECON off and drive a bit slower, you wont see any changes. This thread is full of advice - only beneficial if you heed it - and remember, Hybrids - ANY Hybrid - has a primary objective to reduce tailpipe emissions first, not fuel economy. You ought to reset your expectations if you aren't happy with your MPG returns/or get shot of the car if it perturbs you that much.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
37 Posts
Did a trip from the SF Bay Area to Denver (Interstate 80) and back (Highway 50), got 37.4 MPG (see the pic). I did not track individual legs, but, judging from how the trip computer adjusted the estimate, it felt like the efficiency went downhill at speeds above ~70mph.

Hope to see the battery capacity doubled in the next iteration.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Personal luxury car

·
Registered
2017 CR-V AWD EX-L 1.5T, 2018 Accord Touring Hybid
253 Posts
This is a common misunderstanding. The most significant effect that doubling the capacity of the battery would have, is to double its weight and reduce your mpg. Yes, it would also increase the amount of charge you could recover with regenerative braking, but that is not how this hybrid gains efficiency.

What it won't do, is give you more "free energy." All of the energy in the battery came from gas; and in fact, using it is the least efficient use of the engine's output. The reason it helps, is that it allows the engine to run more efficiently when it generates that output.

The numbers below are somewhat simplified, and are based on the Accord that I am more familiar with. But the CR-V works the same way, with the same drive train.
  • In engine drive, at 55 mph on a flat road, the engine would run at 2000 rpm. The Accord needs to make 15 HP to maintain that speed.
  • The problem with gas engines is that they are most efficient at maybe 20% to 35% of their maximum rated power. Our engine works best at about 35 HP, and 2000 rpm (which is why I choose 55 mph). It needs only 210 grams of gas to make one kilowatt-hour of energy.
  • If it made just the 15 HP that is needed, it takes 255 grams of gas to make the same amount.
  • This is where the battery comes in. The extra 20 HP is used to charge it. If we assume we can recover 75% of what is sent to the battery, we can get the same 15 HP back, for the same amount of time. The car will alternate between Engine Drive for, say, 1 minute, and then EV Drive for 1 minute.
  • During that one minute when the engine is in use, it has to produce power at (35/15)=(7/3) as much power. But since it runs only half the time, it generates 7/6 as much energy.
  • So, at 210 g/kwh while it is running, it needs only (7/6)*(210)=245 grams of gas instead of 255.
All that doubling the capacity of the battery would do, is change the alternating periods from 1 minute on, 1 minute off to 2 minutes on, 2 minutes off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did a trip from the SF Bay Area to Denver (Interstate 80) and back (Highway 50), got 37.4 MPG (see the pic). I did not track individual legs, but, judging from how the trip computer adjusted the estimate, it felt like the efficiency went downhill at speeds above ~70mph.

View attachment 156292
I'm looking to buy a CRV hybrid. Any issues with lack of engine power to climb elevations at 65 or 75 mph on your Denver trip; or loud engine noise when climbing?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX-L
37 Posts
not how this hybrid gains efficiency.
My layman understanding was that gas engines run at discrete gears which are often not optimal for the current driving conditions (weight, incline etc) and the battery allows to recapture and use this overproduced energy. Like climbing a hill and walking down vs climbing and skiing down.

I do not have rigorous numbers to prove it mathematically, but I often drove downhill with the battery already full. That’s from where comes desire for more capacity.

I'm looking to buy a CRV hybrid. Any issues with lack of engine power to climb elevations at 65 or 75 mph on your Denver trip; or loud engine noise when climbing?
Thanks.
Above 70mph the engine is lethargic. Passing trucks doing 75mph (80mph speed limit) required plenty of room. But I never drove a CVT that was responsive at such speeds.

The engine is loud when climbing. Like you’re driving a vacuum cleaner :)I guess it has much more to do with cabin noise insulation. Wind and road noise at 80mph was prominent as well.

For the reference I had to turn up volume to above 20 to hear my podcasts when I did the leg from Elko to Salt Lake. I usually have it at 12.

Lower your expectations with respect to engine, it’s no BMW or Mercedes. Nor it tries to be.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V AWD EX-L 1.5T, 2018 Accord Touring Hybid
253 Posts
My layman understanding was that gas engines run at discrete gears which are often not optimal for the current driving conditions.
Efficiency is a function of both rpm and power. Gas-only cars can adjust only the rpm, and get very close to the best efficiency for the required power. But that might leave them 10% to 20% under their overall best efficiency.

Hybrids can use the battery to adjust power as well. These Hondas do so all the time, not just while starting out, accelerating, or climbing a hill. So the engine is almost always running above 40% efficiency.

I often drove downhill with the battery already full. That’s from where comes desire for more capacity.
That is one of the places a larger battery could help. But nowhere near as much as you think, and probably not enough to counteract the extra weight that you have to drag up that hill.

·
Registered
2022 CRV Hybrid
34 Posts
Just got my hybrid yesterday from the dealer to my sisters house got 42.2 mpg it was about rush hour still so stop and go traffic., today coming back from work got 38.6 mpg. Granted it was like 97 degrees out so that really help the mpg so far very impressed, did slowly and casually stepped on the gas to coast to a start, and used the peddlers to change the battery,.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We have had our 2022 crv exl hybrid for about 3 weeks now and have averaged around 39 mpg on 2 tanks about 80% city/20% highway. For what it's worth, we have kept it in eco mode 90% of the time. Interstate/highway commutes are what KILL the mileage.

Advertised mpg IS achievable under near perfect conditions. However, the drivers behind you won't like you too much. When there is rear traffic, I just drive 'normal' as to avoid being shot at...LOL.

IMO, the trick is moderate acceleration to get up to speed, then you literally have to treat the gas pedal like an egg is under it while in ev mode. Use hills to coast to charge the battery and get it to kick into ev mode. EV gives you just enough power to maintain speed, assuming you are on flat ground.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,939 Posts
We have had our 2022 crv exl hybrid for about 3 weeks now and have averaged around 39 mpg on 2 tanks about 80% city/20% highway. For what it's worth, we have kept it in eco mode 90% of the time. Interstate/highway commutes are what KILL the mileage.

Advertised mpg IS achievable under near perfect conditions. However, the drivers behind you won't like you too much. When there is rear traffic, I just drive 'normal' as to avoid being shot at...LOL.

IMO, the trick is moderate acceleration to get up to speed, then you literally have to treat the gas pedal like an egg is under it while in ev mode. Use hills to coast to charge the battery and get it to kick into ev mode. EV gives you just enough power to maintain speed, assuming you are on flat ground.
You’re trying way to hard. I never use ECO mode, drive it hard and have averaged 36 mpg over 9000 miles with 50/50 highway/city.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You’re trying way to hard. I never use ECO mode, drive it hard and have averaged 36 mpg over 9000 miles with 50/50 highway/city.
I know...LOL. It's become kind of a sick game.

I'm sure even if I drove it 'hard', I could still achieve ~34-35 mpg. With our prior car - 2016 HRV, we were lucky to get 25 mpg under ideal conditons.

·
Registered
2022 CRV Hybrid
34 Posts
it’s been very hot here in the NE which has help the mpg, I hear you about the traffic behind you I don’t really care let them pass you don’t have to go slow just get up to speed casually. I love it this vehicle is actually fun to drive, I had a 17 rouge previously and I was only getting 22/23 in city and highway combined. So anything over 30 is so exciting to me lol, so far been averaging 38 mpg and I’m ecstatic but I know when winter comes Its going to drop big time. I drive in normal mode and let the car figure what’s best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it’s been very hot here in the NE which has help the mpg, I hear you about the traffic behind you I don’t really care let them pass you don’t have to go slow just get up to speed casually. I love it this vehicle is actually fun to drive, I had a 17 rouge previously and I was only getting 22/23 in city and highway combined. So anything over 30 is so exciting to me lol, so far been averaging 38 mpg and I’m ecstatic but I know when winter comes Its going to drop big time. I drive in normal mode and let the car figure what’s best.
Honestly, I'm so used to eco mode (from our prior HRV which accelerated like a dog with a hurt paw), it doesn't bother me. AC seems to work adequately and with the traffic in Lexington, there is little reason to jackrabbit from stoplight to stoplight. I do notice a bit of difference between normal and eco, but my wife doesn't. Now, if we go on a trip through the mountains with it loaded, I'm sure we would have to put it into normal or sport mode to make the ride sufferable.

·
Registered
2021 2WD HONDA CRV-iMMD SR 2.0 Platinum White Perl
247 Posts
A close family friend of mine liked our CRV so much he bought one (2010). I took him to pick it up from Manchester way last Wednesday, and at quite a pace. I averaged 85mph on the way there, and still returned 35mpg. On the way back I averaged 70mph and managed to get 50mpg. When I hit m25 traffic, that went up to 70mpg.

Our focus ecoboom: would return 28mpg at 85mph. The crv is quite incredible. Even the older mk3 returned 45mpg and that's not a hybrid.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts