Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

What MPG are you getting on average from your Honda CR-V Hybrid? (US MPG)

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2022 CRV Hybrid
34 Posts
Automotive design Motor vehicle Audio equipment Satellite radio Font

All City driving and about 6 miles of highway driving. Lots of traffic lights, speed anywhere between 25 to 45mph, using regenerative breaking farthest away possible and using the breaks to slow down when getting closer to the car in front. Easy on the gas on green, outside temp ranging from 74 in the morning to the 90s mid afternoon. No other special techniques, also on normal mode no other mode selected.

I will try an entire tank of gas and see what I get for MPG next.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
11,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Are any other US-owners seeing 40mpg+ now that the weather is warmer?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, also seeing surprisingly good numbers over the last several fills — note that the previous trips 1 and 3 were long highway/motorway drives with the CR-V fully loaded (seats folded) with heavy boxes and luggage.

In fairness, these were mid-Atlantic/northeastern U.S. drives, so it was rare to reach or exceed 70 miles per hour.

Font Display device Number Auto part Signage

·
Registered
2021 Touring Hybrid (Sonic Gray Pearl)
49 Posts
I got 49.9 commuting to my office the other day. (!!) It was about 12 miles, city streets (25-40 mph), light D.C. traffic (it wasn't rush hour), and the outside temp was in the mid-90s. I typically get around 40 on that trip (and got that on the return commute).

·
Registered
2022 CRV Hybrid
34 Posts
View attachment 156786

All City driving and about 6 miles of highway driving. Lots of traffic lights, speed anywhere between 25 to 45mph, using regenerative breaking farthest away possible and using the breaks to slow down when getting closer to the car in front. Easy on the gas on green, outside temp ranging from 74 in the morning to the 90s mid afternoon. No other special techniques, also on normal mode no other mode selected.

I will try an entire tank of gas and see what I get for MPG next.
here is a tank mpg 2nd line refilled at 85 miles to empty. This was about 70% highway 70 to 80 mph and about 30% stop and go, red lights town and city driving and some rush hour highway traffic. This was a mountain trip all up and down big hills so that may have an effect on the mpg also. The highway driving mpg is 35 mpg so it just about exactly where is should be for a majority of highway driving could of been more if the roads were flat.

Black Gadget Motor vehicle Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
2022 CR-V Touring
19 Posts
I just got my 2022 CR-V hybrid two days ago. It’s an hour drive from the dealership to my house, and I watched the mpg gradually climb to 30. I went out for ice cream to celebrate, and when I got home at about 100 miles I was up to 32. Went to the city again today, about an even mix of country roads and interstate, and when I got home I was up to 38.4. I am NOT an aggressive driver nor am I a hyper miler. I just drive fairly conservatively and don’t speed too much. I had the paddles set at 2 arrows down, normal driving mode. It’s warm here, so I hope the car will tune itself a bit and give me better mileage. I haven’t found a display like the ones I have seen in some photos here with better details. Lot of car to learn here,

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,939 Posts
I just got my 2022 CR-V hybrid two days ago. It’s an hour drive from the dealership to my house, and I watched the mpg gradually climb to 30. I went out for ice cream to celebrate, and when I got home at about 100 miles I was up to 32. Went to the city again today, about an even mix of country roads and interstate, and when I got home I was up to 38.4. I am NOT an aggressive driver nor am I a hyper miler. I just drive fairly conservatively and don’t speed too much. I had the paddles set at 2 arrows down, normal driving mode. It’s warm here, so I hope the car will tune itself a bit and give me better mileage. I haven’t found a display like the ones I have seen in some photos here with better details. Lot of car to learn here,
There is no reason to use the paddles unless you are actively trying to slow the car down. Under normal driving conditions, there’s really no rationale for using the paddles at all.

·
Registered
2022 CR-V Touring
19 Posts
I live in a hilly area, and usually have to brake going downhill. I found that the paddles make a kind of engine braking. I’m still working my way through the manual…how long does a paddle press “last”? Once I say, hit the gas or the brake, does it cancel the engine braking/regen process? People make fun of the “sport” labels, but to me this kind of interaction with the car is very sporty control. It’s like having a stick shift - way more hassle than most people want to deal with, but giving you more control over the car’s performance than you have with the automatic transmission. Probably just gave away my age there.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,939 Posts
I live in a hilly area, and usually have to brake going downhill. I found that the paddles make a kind of engine braking. I’m still working my way through the manual…how long does a paddle press “last”? Once I say, hit the gas or the brake, does it cancel the engine braking/regen process? People make fun the “sport” labels, but to me this kind of interaction with the car is very sporty control. It’s like having a stick shift - way more hassle than most people want to deal with, but giving you a level of control over the car’s performance than you have with the automatic transmission. Probably just gave away my age there.
I’m from the same generation apparently, but almost never touch the paddle. You have found an appropriate use if you are using them to control a hill descent, much like you would with a lower gear. Beyond that, they are pretty useless, and the car is smart enough to optimize it‘s performance. Manual intervention just defeats that if that is the goal. Up and down hills is also an appropriate situation to engage Sport mode.

·
Registered
2021 Touring Hybrid (Sonic Gray Pearl)
49 Posts
I live in a hilly area, and usually have to brake going downhill. I found that the paddles make a kind of engine braking. I’m still working my way through the manual…how long does a paddle press “last”? Once I say, hit the gas or the brake, does it cancel the engine braking/regen process? People make fun the “sport” labels, but to me this kind of interaction with the car is very sporty control. It’s like having a stick shift - way more hassle than most people want to deal with, but giving you a level of control over the car’s performance than you have with the automatic transmission. Probably just gave away my age there.
I drove stick for many years (until I got my CR-V in 2021), so I'm with you! I sometimes use it to slow down when approaching a red light, just because I miss downshifting. It's not necessary, it's just fun. And it is helpful on steep downhills. Anyway, the paddle goes back to zero after some period of time (I think it may be different for Normal and Sport modes -- in Econ it ends when you hit the brake), but you can always reduce the level of braking with the right paddle.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
467 Posts
I’m from the same generation apparently, but almost never touch the paddle. You have found an appropriate use if you are using them to control a hill descent, much like you would with a lower gear. Beyond that, they are pretty useless, and the car is smart enough to optimize it‘s performance. Manual intervention just defeats that if that is the goal. Up and down hills is also an appropriate situation to engage Sport mode.
I use the paddles. It’s now second nature for me to use the paddles to control speed when descending hills, approaching bends and slowing to a stop at a junction or lights. I know it doesn’t replace the braking function and I appreciate that using the brake provides a higher regen but it gives me something to do apart from steer.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,939 Posts
I use the paddles. It’s now second nature for me to use the paddles to control speed when descending hills, approaching bends and slowing to a stop at a junction or lights. I know it doesn’t replace the braking function and I appreciate that using the brake provides a higher regen but it gives me something to do apart from steer.
It’s called “playing”, which is fine if that’s your thing. In terms of effectively and efficiently driving the car, they are pretty worthless. Kind of like the ECON button.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,939 Posts
Here are the results from a round trip from Raleigh to Hilton Head (current drive & 1st Prev.). About 1/2 interstate at 70-75mph and about 1/2 back roads at 50-60mph. Essentially 38 mpg in both directions. Mostly with ACC engaged. Apologies for the dirty screen.

Font Personal computer Technology Electric blue Display device

·
Registered
2022 CR-V Touring
19 Posts
So…can someone elaborate on braking vs paddles? My understanding of regenerative braking (in my old Prius) is that the rotation of the wheels spins a generator, and the torque needed to do that slows the car down. I assumed the axles were spinning the generator. Is that how regen braking works on the CR-V, too? What do the paddles do that’s different? Are they using the electric motor which drives the wheels to charge the generator? I was once a passenger in a car whose driver insisted in going down Old Priest Grade Road near Yosemite in an automatic tranny car. He had no brakes at the bottom, but luckily there was no other traffic and we were able to pull over and wait until the brakes quit smoking. So I’m programmed to use engine, trans, anything but the brake pedal on a hill if possible. But maybe brakes work differently now. I’m happy to let the car manage what it’s designed to manage, like the oil change interval, but was hoping that the paddle thing was Honda’s way of letting e have some say. If I want to have easy driving over a couple mpg, I can, but if I can learn to use the tools available for a little more range, I can do that too.

·
Registered
2022 CR-V Touring
19 Posts
Car Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Mid-size car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Automotive design Personal luxury car

Here are two snaps of my display. One shows my average fuel consumption at under 38 mpg, but the individual trips all look much better than that. This is a combination of interstate and local driving without much stop and go traffic. Why are they so different? Is it just because I don’t have much history? Are the mechanical tolerances in a new car tighter, resulting in more friction/resistance, and it will get better? It’s very warm here now so this may be the best I can expect.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,939 Posts
View attachment 157328
View attachment 157329
Here are two snaps of my display. One shows my average fuel consumption at under 38 mpg, but the individual trips all look much better than that. This is a combination of interstate and local driving without much stop and go traffic. Why are they so different? Is it just because I don’t have much history? Are the mechanical tolerances in a new car tighter, resulting in more friction/resistance, and it will get better? It’s very warm here now so this may be the best I can expect.
Don’t know why they are different and it’s impossible to speculate. Trips 1,2&3 could have been 1 mile each, or 10 or 50.

I track my mpg using Trip B and never reset (although it resets itself at 10k miles), so I look at my mileage over an extended period. After 22k mikes, I average 36 - 37 mpg. Mix of suburban and highway miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're averaging 33 to 34 mpg on a 2022 touring hybrid, mostly city driving around Los Angeles. We did notice, running the trip odometer, that for some highway trips we get 37 or 38 mpg. I am curious if the car is somehow actually optimized for highway driving. Currently seeking driving techniques that definitely improve mpg.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts