Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,203 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and to the world of hybrid motoring.
Great to hear you have a good dealer. I always feel bad when people talk about bad dealer experiences here, I almost feel guilty for having an excellent dealer.
But only "almost". :)

Reactions: JakeBlade

·
Registered
2022 CRV Hybrid EX
37 Posts
congratulations to all new owners.
I will also get mine next week, and I had to pay over msrp for it, cuz of this crazy chip shortage :(

@experienced car owners ---- assuming the car market will settle by next year, how much % depreciation do you think will this 2022 CRV hybrid have ? let say after 3 years of ownership with 10k miles per year, how much % value will it lose ?

the reason I ask is because its a big $$ purchase for me hence I am little nervous.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,203 Posts
I will also get mine next week, and I had to pay over msrp for it, cuz of this crazy chip shortage :(

@experienced car owners ---- assuming the car market will settle by next year, how much % depreciation do you think will this 2022 CRV hybrid have ? let say after 3 years of ownership with 10k miles per year, how much % value will it lose ?

the reason I ask is because its a big $$ purchase for me hence I am little nervous.
I don't think any owner, no matter how experienced, can know how the car market will fare over the next few years.
In fact. experience might work against you, as nothing like this has ever happened.
Not just a crazy market, but a relatively new product (Cr-V Hybrid) without a long-term track record.
A new development in battery tech might cut the hybrid's value, while a new law in a big state might increase it.
It's really a crapshoot, but one that I was willing to roll. :)
The purchase having been made, I'm just enjoying it and getting the most out of it, as I have zero control of what happens to the market now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,494 Posts

Used vehicle pricing and market demand is always fluid, so difficult to predict. I don't think anyone predicted the mess with parts shortage right now, for example.

So.. setting that uncertainty aside... let me just offer that CRVs hold their value as good, or better than any of their competition in the market, and have for a long time. And given CRVs are persistently in demand with buyers, both new and used.... demand keeps prices up as long as supply does not saturate. And one thing about Honda, unlike some other brands.. they build at a scale that keeps supply/demand roughly in balance, though first year of a new generation Honda is always hard to get unless you put a deposit down on an incoming vehicle allocated to a dealer.

And hybrids are popular right now, but it is hard to say what impact battery life cycle loss over time will impact them at say the 8 to 10 year age.

I generally keep my CRVs for 10 years, I have owned several, and my wife has owned one. over the life of those 4CRVs, I received roughly 40% of original MSRP as trade-in value pretty consistently on each of them when I traded them it at 10-11 years old.

Rough estimate... assume 10% depreciation for a CRV in year one, and 5% per year after that and you will be pretty close from estimate of residual value vs time. If the market is stable and working normally, those would be the plan numbers I would work with.

·
Registered
2022 CRV Hybrid EX
37 Posts
thank you for the response @beww and @williamsji
I paid $36k otd for crv hybrid ex ($33.5k before taxes) - so if i just get $23k+ after 3 years, I'll be okay....

btw, any EX holders, have you guys considered getting leather seats from outside - is it worth ? more importantly do they even sell which looks same as factory fitted ?

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,194 Posts
thank you for the response @beww and @williamsji
I paid $36k otd for crv hybrid ex ($33.5k before taxes) - so if i just get $23k+ after 3 years, I'll be okay....

btw, any EX holders, have you guys considered getting leather seats from outside - is it worth ? more importantly do they even sell which looks same as factory fitted ?
IIRC, there was a poster here some time ago, who had his done up in leather, looked real nice. Also, IF memory serves me, he did it red leather. Perhaps do an ADVANCED SEARCH in Gen 5 area.

Reactions: beww

·
Super Moderator
7,494 Posts
Not just a crazy market, but a relatively new product (Cr-V Hybrid) without a long-term track record.
Just to note: Consumer Reports this month gave the CRV hybrid a predicted reliability of of Better than Average, which is above normal for Hondas, as they usually end up with a score of Average.

They also gave it as composite score of 81, which is exceeded only by the new Hyundai Tuscon hybrid (which interestingly is using a 1.6 Turbo as the ICE component in the power train).

Right now, based on Consumer Reports data... Hyundai is knocking it out of the park in the hybrid and electric market segments.. consistently getting a CR recommended buy and scores of 82-84 in their market segments. This is probably more due to market timing of new model releases.. but credit to Hyundai for impressing CR pretty much across the board in the CUV market.

·
Super Moderator
7,494 Posts
so you mean, as per the Consumer Reports data , for hybrid CUVs, Hyundai is at top ? So who follows them, is it Honda or Toyota ? or anyone else ?
In the mid-range priced compact CUV hybrid market segment, Hyundai Tuscon hybrid scored slightly higher than the CRV hybrid under CRs scoring methodology, with Tuscon being number 1, and CRV being number two. But their score was only 3 points different out of a scale of 1-100. CRV gets dinged for it's old and confusing head unit, and the Tuscon gets dinged for poor design of gear selector. Actually, CR dinged a number of Hyundai hybrids on the same issue.

Toyota RAV4 was number 3, but was well back in points, scoring at 72. RAV4 gets persistently dinged in it's current genertion over lack of refinement in the cabin and engine noise.

The above 3 were recommended buys by CR in their most recent scoring, and the only recommended buys in the $25-35K CUV market segment.

They updated scores the Ford Escape hybrid in their latest update as well, and it got poor scores (50 of 100) and was dinged badly over poor reliability mainly.

Of course buyers purchase vehicles for other reasons that reviewers scoring.. so.. additional factors are always in play for individual purchases.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts