Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

2023 Touring Hybrid - Wireless Charger

463 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  patruns
so the 2023 TH comes with a wireless charger, it works fine but I have seen (especially with iPhones) that a slight bump or turn would move the phone and it stops charging. Started looking for something that could hold the phone in place while it is on the charger. Found MagSafe Ring that can be attached to the charger (the ring comes with a 3M adhesive on one side). Since the metallic ring will stay on the charger once attached, it might damage or heat up the wireless charger - not sure though. Has anyone tried this already or know of anything else that could keep the phone aligned on the charger while driving?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
so the 2023 TH comes with a wireless charger, it works fine but I have seen (especially with iPhones) that a slight bump or turn would move the phone and it stops charging. Started looking for something that could hold the phone in place while it is on the charger. Found MagSafe Ring that can be attached to the charger (the ring comes with a 3M adhesive on one side). Since the metallic ring will stay on the charger once attached, it might damage or heat up the wireless charger - not sure though. Has anyone tried this already or know of anything else that could keep the phone aligned on the charger while driving?
Mine seems to stay in place fine. A lot of it is probably down to what case you have on your phone.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine seems to stay in place fine. A lot of it is probably down to what case you have on your phone.
Yeah, that could be one reason that the phone slides off easily on the charger. Good thing is that the wireless charger does work with the case on though. I'll check to see if there are any less slippery cases for my phone. Actually, that's a better option than sticking something on the wireless charger pad, Thanks!

Mine sometimes stops charging, it is a bit touchy. I was hoping it would have a stronger magnet as I have an Apple case, not a knock off.
I find iPhones are a bit touchy with wireless charges, you need to align them accurately in order to change them. I have some wireless chargers at home, and unless I align my iPhone at precisely on the charger, it won't work. For the Samsung/Android phones, I never needed to check if the phone is charging or not, I just drop it off on the charger and it always works!

I find the charging really slow
Yeah I am not sure if it's a fast wireless charger, but I'll OK as long as it keeps the phone's battery level stable while I am using Apple CarPlay wirelessly.

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
Yeah, that could be one reason that the phone slides off easily on the charger. Good thing is that the wireless charger does work with the case on though. I'll check to see if there are any less slippery cases for my phone. Actually, that's a better option than sticking something on the wireless charger pad, Thanks!
Mine lays on the wireless charging pad connected to the USB via cable since I don’t have wireless CarPlay, that keeps it tethered. 🙂

· Registered
2021 CR-V Touring Hybrid
37 Posts
Mine lays on the wireless charging pad connected to the USB via cable since I don’t have wireless CarPlay, that keeps it tethered. 🙂
When you have the USB cable AND the wireless charging, both are charging the phone. I did this once on a 11 hour drive and warped my battery on an iPhone 10. So I use one or another. Never both.

· Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
2,087 Posts
When you have the USB cable AND the wireless charging, both are charging the phone. I did this once on a 11 hour drive and warped my battery on an iPhone 10. So I use one or another. Never both.
Mine won’t lay flat on the charger with the USB cable plugged, so no issues.

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,577 Posts

I find iPhones are a bit touchy with wireless charges, you need to align them accurately in order to change them. I have some wireless chargers at home, and unless I align my iPhone at precisely on the charger, it won't work. For the Samsung/Android phones, I never needed to check if the phone is charging or not, I just drop it off on the charger and it always works!

Yeah I am not sure if it's a fast wireless charger, but I'll OK as long as it keeps the phone's battery level stable while I am using Apple CarPlay wirelessly.
Let's NASA science this problem. :) NASA addressed all manner of things floating around in zero-G with..... velcro.

Suggestion for you: get a small velcro strip set and simply apply a small piece of velcro to the back of your phone and it's mating pair then attached to the charging pad. You don't need much, just a 1" by 1" piece is probably enough for this purpose. For bumpy roads, you might need two small pieces, one for each end of the phone.

Just be sure and put the fuzzy velcro piece on your phone back and the prickly piece on the charging pad. If you put the prickly side piece on the phone, it will snag all your clothing.. so attention to detail here. :)

The other thing you could do is simply put a thing piece of silicone rubber on the charging pad, as that will have sufficient tackiness to hold the phone from moving around, but that won't solve bumps.. so I would still go with the velcro.

Now for 30 seconds of soapbox from me: charging pads are way over rated, under powered, twitchy in behavior at times. Nothing beats a proper charging cord, especially if you want higher speed charging with the higher charging capability on the new USB ports on the gen6 CRVs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.