Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am planning to get a 20”x9 rims with 255/45 tires. Can anyone recommend the offset? I want to have a stock/flushed look. Thank you!

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
The offset? That should be what the mfg designed the vehicle to have. One thing to understand about wheel offset, it's not measured from the hub of the car, it's measured as an offset (plus or minus) from the center of the wheel.

Some car mfgs design their vehicles for a zero offset wheel (Porsche among them), newer designs seem to be in the plus 40 to 55 range.

While yes, you can vary which offset you get (so long as the bolt pattern and hub bore are the same), that doesn't mean it won't rub either the brakes or the wheel well on the outside.

If going from a, say, 8" width rim to a 9", if you get a wheel with the same offset, then 1/2 of that difference will be on the inner part of the wheel, and half will be on the outer part, which means it would probably fit okay and look 'normal' also.

But, if you change the offset, more will be inside (or outside), which could result in the rim / tire hitting brake parts or rubbing.

The other aspect of offset to be aware of is the mfgs design the cars suspension such that a specific wheel offset will put the contact patch of the tire dead center relative to wheel bearings / tie rods / king pin axis etc etc. While people have changed to diff offset than mfg specs, and the car rides / handles / etc fine, some believe (mechanical engineers) that it causes abnormal wear and tear on those suspension parts.

So, to answer your question; "which offset?"... that would be the offset the mfg designed the car for.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You cant cram wider wheels in and use offset to put the outer edge in the same place as stock, it will likely rub. Need to adjust offset based on 1/2 at minimum of the increased difference of the bigger rim.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,182 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
My rims are 35mm offset with no issues. (yet! ?) Wheels sit flush with fender. I believe stock offset is 45. Post pictures when you have them installed.
View attachment 137549
Have to differ with you on the "wheels sit flush with fender". Those wheels are outside of the fender well. Not by much! But definitely outside of it.

I''s important to understand, going from a 45mm offset to a 35mm offset means the 'Hub Of The Wheel' is now closer to the center of the wheel. THAT means when it's on the car, the wheel will sit 10mm FARTHER OUT. So to calculate how it will look, you have to add the (almost) 1/2 inch difference from offset, the the difference in width of the rims. So if you went from a say 7.5 inch width rim, to a 9, you're looking at a diff of almost (add half of rim width diff to offset diff) 1.25 inches farther OUT.

This is a pic of a wheel (225x55x19) rims with (oem spec) 50mm offset. This would be plus sizing but STILL flush with fender.

Hey, going farther out is a personal choice. I'm not knocking it. But it's not flush as it is now. When driving in rain, that will look like a speed boat going at high speed, water will be flying up in the side windows, and it will be obvious on the outside of the vehicle that the wheel well isn't trapping the tire spray.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry Azitlies, but have to differ with you. Not sure what year your white CR-V is (love those Acura RDX rims BTW), but mine is a 2018. I'm sure it's the angle of the photos, but the edge of the wheels are pretty close, like you say. The rears "definitely" tuck under the wheel wells, so rears will not "obviously" send rain water up the sides-like a speed boat.. On the fronts, the treads sit inside the wheel well by about 1/4", and the sidewall bulge is about 1/4" beyond the edge of the fender. Since fronts are steering, rain water will shoot up the sides with any turn of the steering wheel.

REAR-tucks nicely under fender:
20200131_072149.jpg

FRONT-Sidewall bulge is beyond fender edge, but tread still covered by wheel well:
20200210_094247.jpg
Both photos show tread covered by the fender wells.

So aragon_authur, 255/45 - 20 tires on 20" x 9" with 35 offset rims will fit without much issue, as long as you don't mind a slight sidewall bulge upfront beyond your fenders and you have a 2017-20 model year. And what's the matter with looking like a speed boat in the rain!

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Sorry Azitlies, but have to differ with you. And what's the matter with looking like a speed boat in the rain!
First, no reason to be sorry at all. None. When discussing things that are subjective, no one need apologize for their perspective, ever.

While the wheel / tires may (or may not, your personal view) look to be protruding, the math isn't subjective, and if the width of the tire is increased respective to the rim width, then they are 1.25" farther out.

Your call if you like it or not. It's an individual thing, doesn't faze me one way or another. Now, the 'speed boat in the rain thing'...

Well, your call also. I have my preferences, others have theirs.

As the French say; c'est la vie. I'm all for live and let live. No skin off my heinie ;)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I'm thinking more like 1.14" farther out. Picky, picky. Both Azitlies's and skidog's tire/wheel combos look sahweeet!(y)(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking more like 1.14" farther out. Picky, picky. Both Azitlies's and skidog's tire/wheel combos look sahweeet!(y)(y)
crv383: I agree. Those RDX rims look great on what looks to be a 2016 CR-V! I just wanted to make sure aragon_arthur is not mislead with the comment that the wheels definitely protrude outside the fender and obviously there will be spray on the side of the body and window-this does not happen. Rear tucks under the wheel well just fine, front tread is covered by the fender, and the sidewall is 0.280401218 inches beyond the fender.

Azitlies: I just wanted to make sure aragon_authur is getting my real world experience with what I physically have mounted on my 2018 CR-V, regardless of the math or optical distortions of the posted pictures. As my additional profile pictures show, the rears tuck under the fender well-FLUSH no issues, the treads on the front are covered under the fender edge-just a slight fraction of the sidewalls go beyond the fender. No body water when driving thru puddles.

Aragon_authur: from my real world experience, 255/45 - 20 tires on 20" x 9" with 35 offset rims will fit, with the mathematical issues that Azitlies has pointed out. Per the additional pictures above of my 2018, you can see that the wheels do not obviously protrude beyond the fenders, especially when you see it in person. Happy boating...

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Well, I would say that the o p has a great deal of information now. And I would think it would be very helpful for them to make a decision. That's a problem that we all face, This is not an inexpensive thing to do. Getting it wrong and regretting It can be a little painful.

So I would say to everybody involved Bravo, I think we've given readers all the information there is to give. And we did it without devolving into name calling and snide remarks.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I’ve read more than once......you mount a tire, you bought the wheel.

“And we did it without devolving into name calling and snide remarks”.......may be a 1st.?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Sahweeet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts