Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice about tires. I have a 2001 that is completely stock, no lift and manufacturers tire reccos are 205/70/15. I am looking to get Kuhmo Road Venture AT51s put on that are 215/75/15.

It seems I have seen other people have done it with minimal problems (either no rubbing or very minimal)

My only concern is driving with a full car load will the back wheel wells be so low that they rub on the back tires?

Looking for any advice on this. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I remember several members on Bing's old hondasuv.com site used to ride around with 215/75/15's and I don't remember them having any problems. I DO remember someone using 225/70/15's and he had some rubbing issues but I have to say that size looked great.

I've used 215/70/15's on my '98 for many years...always thought the factory 205/70/15's looked puny.

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V
56 Posts
I'm now running 215/75R15 on the stock rims on my 1999, but I've only put about 100 miles on so far and have not put any significant weight in it during those miles. You can see a couple of pics here: Received a free 1999 with 300,011 miles

On the front side of the rear fenderwells there is some kind of pinch seam sticking out towards the tread of the tires, I had to take the big hammer and bend that over flat at the bottom 4-5 inches, it was too close to the tread and it appeared that at full upwards travel it would certainly rub there. I had read about others hammering that down so that is what I did, mine was so rusty it more or less fell apart anyways.

Other than that I have not had any rubbing issues but like I said not many miles so far either. Clearance of everything is pretty tight but it looks like I will get away with it as others have done before us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same as Glazer1972, I've been running 215/75R15 General Grabber AT-2's for about 50K miles. No rubbing has ever been noticed even carrying some pretty heavy loads or running full of people. You can turn lock-to-lock with a hair's contact on the suspension if you're on a lift, but that's it. These will also fit within the spare cutout without problem.

This size doesn't show a huge difference in appearance but it's enough to remedy the puny tire look, and sets the car up another half-inch or so ... and I'll take any additional clearance that I can get. The other advantage of swapping to tires like this is that it opens up some better tread/traction possibilities. I don't take mine off road much but it has no issues with back trails if you drive using your head.

At this tire size, acceleration doesn't seem to suffer any significant amount. Gas mileage might drop by a half-mile or so, per gallon. Road noise is no worse than before (previously running stock-sized crusty old Michelin tires, but my ol' beater seems so loud anyway, I'm not sure how the road noise could get much worse!). The difference on the tach is almost unnoticeable.

To be brand-specific, the Generals were comfortable on a trip down the dirt road backside of Mt. Lemmon in AZ (family on board), and as I found out after a recent move, they make this crazy little CRV seem unstoppable in snow. The only drawback is that they are also literally 'unstoppable' in snow on occasion when you do want to stop in a hurry ... give yourself plenty of braking room in the white stuff. But that's a small tradeoff and not uncommon to most tires in snow anyway. Otherwise, dry or rainy conditions see good performance.

I'm super glad to have made the move to the larger tire. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think the 215/75/15's look fantastic on the first Gen's...the improvement in curbside appeal is VERY significant.

I recently replaced the tires on my '98 with Cooper Evolution 215/70/15's(been running with that size for 20 years) and I did consider going with 215/75's this time but eventually decided to stick with 215/70's. The 215/70's aren't large by any means but they're a large improvement both visually and in handling(the vehicle just feels more planted) compared to stock.

When I see a first gen in my area I can tell in a millisecond if they're still running with the puny factory-size 205/70's. I rarely see anyone along the South Jersey shore area running with anything other than 205/70's...drives me nuts. The same people are also riding around with torn or cock-eyed factory spare tire covers :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.