Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pretty much as the title says. Bought a $500 2001 AWD auto. It idles well and a dry compression test got me 170-190 PSI in all of them.

Is it risky to try and attempt a valve adjustment and timing belt replacement if it’s this far along? Kind of like a Overdue Trans flush and then it starts slipping.
If she's running great & dry I'd do the belt & water pump ... and leave everything else! .. if it ain't broke, why fix it!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Is there a problem with the water pump? If you've been changing the antifreeze at least every 5 years with Honda antifreeze, and the water pump has been regularly inspected, I wouldn't worry about that either... I'd do the belt and valve adjustment and call it a day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I can’t agree with the water pump staying in even with great maintenance because of the inherent corrosiveness of antifreeze no matter WHAT brand you change it with.

·
Registered
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
925 Posts
I would be extra cautious of the coolant pump. Even with excellent maintenance, you can still have bearing and seal issues in a coolant pump down the road. If the coolant pump seizes, you will lose the timing belt instantly. Also, you have to take the timing belt off in order to change the coolant pump, so it makes sense to just do it at the same time.

Too much maintenance does not cause problems. Not enough maintenance does cause problems.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
470 Posts
Not changing your water pump is not very smart. It will not last as long as your next timing belt does. You will be going in to replace your water pump before your next timing belt is due. Always change your water pump with your timing belt.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well today went to work on the rear brake caliper conversion. Which wasn’t very hard to do, unfortunately two out of four bolts holding the backer plate sheered off, and guess which holes were needed for the caliper bracket?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
For now I just put a hose clamp on the brake line and will run with 3 brakes in my driveway. This is supposed to be a farm truck anyways.

I bought a complete timing belt kit so when I do it the water pump will be done.

Found a power steering leak. Took a picture, the boot is torn and leaking fluid. Which is odd that it just started leaking fluid since I haven’t driven it anywhere since I parked it. Just turned the wheels. How do I go about troubleshooting this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Murphy’s law on the bolts, perhaps an extraction tool purchase is in your future. On the steering leak, I seem to recall my boots weren’t great either, you could start by replacing the boot to keep dirt out and perhaps your rack won’t need attention, but only use Actual Honda fluid for that.

·
Registered
00&01 CRV
181 Posts
The boot being torn lets in debris that can score your seal when you turn, causing a leak. Or, your rack seal started leaking, and when the boot tore, the fluid had to go somewhere.

·
Registered
2000 LX 5spd awd
470 Posts
@jjminch can I ask how much you got the brackets for. I have a friend trying to sell me a set and I'm not sure if it's a good deal Or not.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts