Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I finally had my tires put on yesterday and absolutely love 'em.

They claim they are a Highway tire with Off-Road Grit, but knowing they are all All Terrain tire, I knew they would NOT be as quiet as a All Season Highway tire, so no disappointment there. They are actually a tad quieter than my Michelin Winter Tires.

In the side by side pic they look much bigger than the other pic with the smaller winter tire in front of it, but make no mistake they are huge, and I doubt I can go any bigger without adding the 2" Lift kit, which I really do not want to put on.

And just like my oversize tires on my previous 2000 CVR, here is the difference in diameter & speedo.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=225-65r17-235-70r17

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am trying just fit a bit more. I am looking at 235-80-17 I want to lift it also but I think me lifting it will need to come first before I buy the tires.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can almost guaranty 80 will Rub even with a Lift Kit! The wheel well is just not big enough.

But I'm not expert, let me know how it turns out!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Don't think they will work...

I am trying just fit a bit more. I am looking at 235-80-17 I want to lift it also but I think me lifting it will need to come first before I buy the tires.
The height is not the issue so lifting will not help. The problem is the wheel wells are not long enough.

The 235/80/17 is 31.8 inches in diameter. They will rub the front and back.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The height is not the issue so lifting will not help. The problem is the wheel wells are not long enough.

The 235/80/17 is 31.8 inches in diameter. They will rub the front and back.
Yes they are 31's I was thinking also spacers as well. I know its a super long shot but I am sure 235-75-17 is cutting it REALLY close but I have my heart set on a set of BFGOODRIDGE T/A KO as they have to be one of the best tires all around. The only thing is they only offer them at 80's series

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yes they are 31's I was thinking also spacers as well. I know its a super long shot but I am sure 235-75-17 is cutting it REALLY close but I have my heart set on a set of BFGOODRIDGE T/A KO as they have to be one of the best tires all around. The only thing is they only offer them at 80's series
Spacers will make the issue worse.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know spacers will make things worse but I want to go bigger and then run spacers to fill in the gap perfect. I guess I will run 235-75-17

·
Registered
171 Posts
New larger tires, new larger mud tires, new larger mud tires in time for the weekend... We expect some pictures posted from you involving off-roading and mud by Sunday evening.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have my heart set on a set of BFGoodrich T/A KO as they have to be one of the best tires all around. The only thing is they only offer them at 80's series
Funny thing is the Rugged Terrain Tire is actually more of a street tire than the T/A KO that are marketed as just an All Terrain tire. The T/A KO would be too noisy for my liking. I believe I found a good compromise tire for my light Off-Roading, but mostly city driving.

I also think this is the biggest you should go without having problems, as you know heavier tires can create suspension & alignment problems. If I was more serious about Off-Roading, then the CRV would not be my choice of a vehicle. But as it is now, it is good enough for my needs with the great reliability Honda offers.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Funny thing is the Rugged Terrain Tire is actually more of a street tire than the T/A KO that are marketed as just an All Terrain tire. The T/A KO would be too noisy for my liking. I believe I found a good compromise tire for my light Off-Roading, but mostly city driving.

I also think this is the biggest you should go without having problems, as you know heavier tires can create suspension & alignment problems. If I was more serious about Off-Roading, then the CRV would not be my choice of a vehicle. But as it is now, it is good enough for my needs with the great reliability Honda offers.
That's my next question really. My snows were noisy as sin but I will be sound deading the CRV in the summer months. It's ok quit right now with the stock tires but the winter tires were another story. I came from a Lexus so of course a major difference. I mean you do have pretty big tires on the V so you do know what it looks tight. How about some more pics? If you could it looks like the rear arches are just about to touch the tires.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can't see any of the pics. I am really curious about how these tires fit/look/ride as my current set are just about done.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't even notice they are bigger tires on there since I switched from my winter tires. I haven't noticed any gas mileage loss. Don't feel any HP loss or anything whatsoever. They still don't rub. Absolutely no regrets, and as I posted originally, I did this with my 2000 CRV and loved it then too.

I kind of wish I could go wider like a 255, but don't want to chance it, but they don't look much wider than stock from the front or rear of the CRV. Like I said, no regrets.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I read somewhere you can go up to 245's but I dont know if its true or not. Seem a little to wide and I do not even know if the stock rim will handle that.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Dang, those sure look good. I wonder how they'd look with the white text facing out. How are they rated for snow/wet roads?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Haha, now you've got me looking at All Terrain tires instead of highway tires :D I'm leaning towards these Goodyear AT sized at 245/65/17: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+All-Terrain+Adventure+with+Kevlar&partnum=465TR7WATAOWL

These are slightly wider but slightly shorter than the BFGoodrich (about .4" shorter, and .4" wider). I looked at the clearances of my current tires and I do think a 245/65 will clear all surfaces and not rub. The Goodyears are a little more expensive, but have 10k more miles on the warranty and the best rating in their category on TireRack.com. I'll be sure to post back if I do get them. My current tires that came on my V are nearly riding on their wear bars lol. I won't go through next winter with them.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
What will you be doing to sound deaden? A lot of us would like to know. Thanks......
Huh? Are you replying to the right thread ?????

Dang, those sure look good. How are they rated for snow/wet roads?
Mike on The US site, they are rated as Uncompromised grip on wet roads & are rated for all seasons in the snow.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/category/truck-tires/rugged-terrain-t-a/tire-details

Bottom line is, no tire is as good as snow tire, regardless!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lower profile winter tire

UPDATE: Ughhh. I got some winter tires on steelies, but they are only 225/60 17, and the difference from the stock 65 to 60 size is really minimal, but wow, I really miss my smooth ride on my BFGoodrich 235/70 17 tires. Night & Day.

I couldn't pass up the deal on the 60's winter tires/steelies, but hope to someday get a winter tire size of maybe a 215/70 17.

Knowing this, I would NEVER, EVER go to a 18" or 19" or bigger rim, as I prefer the cushy ride thank you very much, and enjoy the marginal ground clearance of a taller ride.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No TPMS & VSA light on dash

Very surprised that this does not turn my TPMS light on the dash. That's great since it won't affect my VSA control. And yes when I start the car the TPMS & VSA lights do come on to show they are functioning.

Woo-Hoo, no need for extra TPMS sensors & having to pay the dealership to reprogram them twice a year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts