Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have been looking at 2nd gen crvs the past few weeks and all of the one I have looked at have had the same "problem". When removing the oil cap there is air push out. Putting a price of paper over and it flaps significantly. This was the case one 5 separate crvs, 2003-2005.

Is this a common normal function of the 2.4L vtech engine is the crvs? The oil seemed to smell pretty contaminated on all but one that had been changed recently. Anything else I could look at to verify the blow by besides the compression test?

Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,191 Posts
If the car hasn't been maintained properly, the PCV valve might be stuck closed. Usually it only needs cleaning, the PCV valve should rattle after it is flushed out with intake cleaner.

The bigger worry is main seal leakage as a result of the crankcase pressure. Gotta crawl underneath to make sure leakage isn't present. (Not that other areas can't leak oil---in the front rear, oil pressure senders can leak, and improperly sealed valve covers can cause a drip.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts