Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a second generation, 2007 Honda CRV SE and I'm looking to haul 2 light weight dirtbikes.

I have no prior experience with hitches/towing so I want to double check the following setup is plausible.

I've purchased this Curt Class III receiver.

I'm looking at purchasing a dirt bike carrier something like this.

The purpose would be to haul 2 light weight dirt bikes that are 125lb each.

If I'm reading the specs right, I believe the Curt receiver I have has a 350lb tongue weight.

So....
125lb one bike
125lb second bike
82lbs for the carrier
= 332lb total.

So, that'd be under the 350lb tongue weight so I should be good?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would talk to the people at Curt and then Etrailer.com to be sure. Weight is one thing but leverage is another and with that sticking out back so far plus the wind drag created by the bikes, you may be pushing things too far considering your are only 18lbs under the limit. 350 lb tongue weight with a trailer is bridged between the back of the CRV and the wheels of the trailer. That thing is just hanging off the back of the CRV so the stresses are probably different. Better safe than sorry so ask Curt directly. Go to their website.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rated tongue weight for a 2005 is 150 lbs. Even though the Class III hitch can support higher weight, I would be really concerned about ripping out the mount points with double the weight on a hitch rack like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts