Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2005 CRV EX with 290k miles on the clock. The rear shocks are bad, so it is time to replace them. I’ve been thinking that, while the suspension is taken apart, I should replace other parts. In fact, I’ve come up with a $1000+ parts list that includes shocks/struts, all bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings. My question is: is all of this necessary and/or worth it?
Shocks are bad all around, but the rear ones are much worse. The logic is that, while everything is taken apart, we might as well replace all of these other components.

The only thing I have a hard time justifying is the bushings since they are not immediately causing any problems. Not to mention, there are so many of them and they make up at least half of the cost of the parts list. If the parts are $1,000, I can only imagine that the labor would probably bring this up to a $2,500 job, if not more. All of my searches bring me to the conclusion that the only thing all-newbushings will do is bring the car to its original ride quality, i.e. pretty dang smooth. But that is not essential in a 14-year-old car. Do things like the rear lower arm front bushing (for example) ever go out? If bushings were to go out, what’s the worst that could happen? A clunking sound, something breaking? For reference, I anticipate driving around 20,000 miles per year: 95% freeway miles, a monthly trip to the mountains, and a monthly 2-mile round trip to/from a shooting range on a rocky dirt road. (I suspect those 2 miles may put more wear on the suspension than 2,000 miles of normal driving.)

I do intend to keep it for a long time since it has a new engine and newly rebuilt transmission. I just have a very hard time pulling the trigger on such a major repair. Has anybody done this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced rear struts on a 2000 CR-V after replacing tires. Old struts can cause damage to tires near
them. Periodic maintenance costs this year totaled about $1500. Spark plugs, oil change (Kendall) & drained out/changed another oil (trans or brake, can't recall exactly). Mileage is 202,053. IGood brake condition. A/C runs perfectly. Past parts changed by the prior owner included front struts, new brakes & a new radiator. I had to replace the battery last spring. Car runs fine overall. Auto insurance & registration costs are less on this older car than a new one. I am retired & these costs still beat buying/leasings payments.I keep it garaged & polished. The 2000 model trans is not belt driven. With overall regulation maintenance the trans can go on for years. My friend's CR-V , well maintained, has 400,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I totally agree with CB13. If the other parts you mentioned i.e. the wheel bearings & ball joints are not giving you problem leave them in place. If you like to bring the costs down replace only the rear struts. I would suggest get the Monroe Quick Struts I have good luck with them. As CB13 mentioned if you don't fix the struts you will experience tire cupping & other tire problems. Let us know. Be sure you replace them in pairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
KGB Struts were used on my car, recommended by several car people. ( or KYB if I got the exact lettering wrong). Before replacing rear strut, the cupping (referred to by otto888) was shown to me on the older tires. No point in spending $$ on tires without getting this done. If it is done before new tires (if needed) are installed you will save yourself the alignment or re-alignment charge. Usually you can't negotiate labor charges but you can shop around to get an idea of the price range for the struts part. I use RepairPal online & that helps. Kings Auto in El Monte, CA. gave me a great price because I am a repeat customer . Hope this helps. Definitely hang on to your CR-V LX if your transmission is not belt-driven, it can last for many more dependable years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts