Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post. I've just bought a 2002 CR-V for my Dad for a very reasonable price :D - the trade-off is it has a few dings and the tailgate handle doesn't work (the handle itself moves, it just doesn't actually open the tailgate).

Is this a common problem on 2nd gen CR-Vs? There isn't any damage around the handle, so I suspect something might have just popped out. I thought I'd check with you lot if there's a common fix, and if not, ask if anyone knows of a way to open the tailgate without using the handle...

Thanks in advance!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,434 Posts
Before you disassemble the tailgate, see if the key will unlock it and make the handle functional.

If so, buy an actuator for the automatic lock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @canyon, removing the trim means I've discovered the door isn't unlocking - nothing wrong with the handle.

@Carbuff2 - there isn't a keyhole on the tailgate! Looks like I need a new actuator as you say though - I can hear it attempting to operate when locking/unlocking but it's very weak.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,434 Posts
On my '06 the keyhole is in the 'stationary', LH part of the tailgate handle. Didn't know that '02s lacked that feature, sorry. Look at #10

Parts diagrams are at any of several online Honda dealers. Bernardi.com, hondapartsdeals.com, hondapartscheap.com.
http://tinyurl.com/jgonpfp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Carbuff2 - actually I think you've come across this before (see link 1) :p I'm in the UK, as is my Honda, which I think is why my tailgate doesn't have a keyhole.

As I understand it, the connector to the actuator with 2 pins is responsible for master lock/unlock signals. The other connector with 3 pins is responsible for generating a lock/unlock signal if a key is used. My broken actuator (it's definitely knackered, I removed it completely and tested it) has pins for both, so I'm guessing the part was just reused despite the lack of a keyhole (perhaps higher spec'd CR-Vs had keyholes).

I can't find the exact same actuator for much less than the equivalent of about $100, but if I go with one without the 3-pin connector it's about $10 off of Ebay. Though I am a little concerned by this post (see link 2), since it claims the 3-pin connector needs to be "live" :/ In my tests the actuator operates fine with just the 2-pin connected.

Link 1: /forums/14-problems-issues/20451-tailgate-lock-dying-uk-version-no-key-locking-option.html
Link 2: /forums/14-problems-issues/20451-tailgate-lock-dying-uk-version-no-key-locking-option-2.html#post129577

Sorry not allowed to post actual links yet so you'll have to paste.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,434 Posts
actually I think you've come across this before (see link 1)
Haa Haa. :rolleyes: Yes, We tend to forget a lot when you try and help so many folks over the years. Also, the Location field in your Profile (or something similar in a Signature) helps too! (Although, if you had said 'knackered' earlier I would have suspected which side of the pond you resided on!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Carbuff2, location updated! Will report back how I get on with the replacement part - fingers crossed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts