Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as stated in the title: possible to install diesel engine in gas CRV?

This question is ONLY about 2nd generation CRV, that is 2002 to 2006 models (maybe only 2005 and 2006 models because those were updated. I'm mainly interested in the 05 and 06 models)

can a gas (petrol) CRV be converted to diesel?

in other words, can we put a diesel engine in a gas CRV?

how does the automatic / manual (stick shift) transmission element affects this? is going from one to other a problem or not or what?

like if you find a diesel engine from a manual transmission CRV, can you put it in a gas CRV with automatic transmission?

go ahead spit fire on your keyboards

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money.

Another thing to ponder is what about the exhaust and emissions systems? And the fuel systems, from fuel filler nozzle to tank to fuel pump to fuel pipes to injectors? And glow plugs instead of spark plugs? And where would you get an ECU that would understand how to control the diesel engine? And how would you register and title the vehicle? A few places I've lived require emissions testing every couple of years.

Cheaper to just find and buy a diesel powered vehicle that is legal where you live, rather than try to find and build your own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything is possible with enough money.

Another thing to ponder is what about the exhaust and emissions systems? And the fuel systems, from fuel filler nozzle to tank to fuel pump to fuel pipes to injectors? And glow plugs instead of spark plugs? And where would you get an ECU that would understand how to control the diesel engine? And how would you register and title the vehicle? A few places I've lived require emissions testing every couple of years.

Cheaper to just find and buy a diesel powered vehicle that is legal where you live, rather than try to find and build your own.

what I mean is removing a gas block and put a diesel block. a swap. possible?

so I'm mostly curious whether the engine block shapes are different, are both engine blocks the same, and frames the same. in other words: is it plug and play? or do you have to cut and weld?

like in many other vehicles, putting a different engine in the frame...

·
Registered
160 Posts
It’s not plug and play, they are very different.

You would need almost a complete diesel vehicle to do the swap.

But as stated, with enough money you could do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how about removing the engine block and transmission together?

are the diesel and gas chassis similar ? or do they have different points of attachments for the engine and/or transmission to the body?

explanations are welcome.

simple yes / no is of no use. if you can't back your answer there is no point. I have done my fair share of wrenching I have some idea of what's possible or not. AND YES with enough money everything is possible. What we're trying to do here is assess the level of difficulty. I have done weirder stuff and it worked. naysayers make your case.

I understand it's not going to be a walk in the park, but I'm trying to get some idea of how difficult it is and what those difficulties are.

final point this is not for saving money or other economic reasons etc. this is more like an engineering exercise we want to assess budget tools etc.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I gave you a longer answer and you asked:

what I mean is removing a gas block and put a diesel block. a swap. possible?
So I answered just "No" since I'd already given you a longer answer.

Longer answer #2:

It will require much more than just changing the engine block, and is not going to be easy, simple, or cheap to change your gasoline powered CR-V to a diesel powered CR-V.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here are some pics of the 2.4 gasoline block. Trying to find images of the diesel one so we can do an actual comparison. if someone has some clean shots of a CRV diesel block, please feel free to contribute. I think that 2.2 i-ctdi engine is same as the one in Honda civic in europe.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The first one lists the price as 3316 Euros, which is about US $3656. And it's in the UK, so shipping costs, too.

The second one is in the Netherlands and says "price on request".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts