Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2009 CRV. Inspection found two issues. The car only has 46K miles and I am surprised by the failures. I am also surprised it will be $2K to fix them.

Can I get a 2nd pair of eyes on these issues and feedback on if these repairs are compulsory or if they can wait?

I am not seeing ANY oil dripping in my drive way and no other symptoms (when steering or driving), that's why I am wondering if these are necessary. Is $2K reasonable cost?

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Automotive lighting Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,498 Posts
Do you DIY routine maintenance?

If so, I would spray silicone onto those rubber bits, just to keep them supple. Drive on, and be happy.

The steering rack bellows in pic 2 (gaiter for our British friends) needs to be cleaned up as well...the oily, dirt-attracting mist could be coming from anywhere. Cleaning it with an oil-removing soap like Dawn will allow you to see where the residue is coming from.

++++++++++

You DO need to keep an eye on rubber bits on a 12 year old car. They will deteriorate naturally over time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If it was mine I wouldn't rush into any of those problems, they are very minor. Just keep an eye on them. The oil on the CV boot could be from a drip or spill from above just wetted on that one side. The rubber cracking would have to be worse to cause a problem, and is just more stupid engineering that is designed to cause a problem for the end user, us customers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The bushing in the control arm appears to be in the beginning of the fail stage.
Inspecting it in the relaxed position (stretched out) can determine more.

The power steering boot being wet could be from a internal leak or a failing hose that is spraying up on it.
Keep a eye on the fluid level for starters.
Clean those hoses and inspect for leaks especially around the clamps. Replace hoses as needed.

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal can recondition those bushings if they are not to far gone and it may also help with the power steering depending on the issue.
I put it in a
fine mist spray bottle and apply to all bushing/rubber components with great results.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The bushing in the control arm appears to be in the beginning of the fail stage.
Inspecting it in the relaxed position (stretched out) can determine more.

The power steering boot being wet could be from a internal leak or a failing hose that is spraying up on it.
Keep a eye on the fluid level for starters.
Clean those hoses and inspect for leaks especially around the clamps. Replace hoses as needed.

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal can recondition those bushings if they are not to far gone and it may also help with the power steering depending on the issue.
I put it in a
fine mist spray bottle and apply to all bushing/rubber components with great results.
I would like to do that, if I could buy the stuff 😭😭

1 - 5 of 5 Posts