Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 CRV doesn't have a 3.5mm jack socket for Aux input. It has 2 USB Ports instead.
I'm trying to get my Garmin Nuvi satNav to output speed camera alerts through one of these ports. I've bought a 3.5 to USB adaptor and although it plays Mp3 music from the SatNav card, it won't play the alerts. The alerts are stored as Mp3 files.
It won't even play the spoken directions ( not that I want these ).
So how do I get Audio into the USB ports so that my cars audio system can play them.
Any ideas ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too sure I understand that. I have to put a 3.5 Jackplug into the SatNav and the other end into the USB port in the centre console. This is where I use the 3.5 to USB adaptor lead.
Where are the RCA phono sockets ?

Thanks S.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have not tried them but Amazon (and others) do sell 3.5mm jack to usb adaptors fairly cheaply. It may be worth buying one (a couple of quid or so) and trying it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did say in both posts that I use a 3.5 to USB adaptor! I've just sent for another one from a different manufacturer just in case.
I've checked the file type for the speed camera alerts and they are Mp3. So I can't understand why it will play Mp3's off the SatNav, but not the alerts ( both are Mp3 ).
At the moment I'm using a fudge by using the FM tramsmitter in the SatNav to get both music and Camera alerts, but this is not an ideal situation as it relies on the FM frequency being free of other transmissions etc.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have not tried them but Amazon (and others) do sell 3.5mm jack to usb adaptors fairly cheaply. It may be worth buying one (a couple of quid or so) and trying it.
Actually the OP said that they already purchased one of those.

@simples, could you try plugging your phone or an mp3 player into the jack of the usb adapter just to rule out an incompatibility between the satnav and the adapter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the OP said that they already purchased one of those.

@simples, could you try plugging your phone or an mp3 player into the jack of the usb adapter just to rule out an incompatibility between the satnav and the adapter?
O.K thanks. I'll try that tomorrow, but it does play Mp3's of the SatNav card, it just won't play the vocal camera alerts - which are also
Mp3,s. ( the vocal alerts are also stored on the SatNav card ).

·
Registered
496 Posts
MP3 can have the "DCMA" flag installed to say copy protected and Honda will not play copy protected MP3 files.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MP3 can have the "DCMA" flag installed to say copy protected and Honda will not play copy protected MP3 files.
I've asked the question on the SpeedCam site. I'll let you know if I get a reply.
I think that the portable SatNav decodes the Mp3 files O.K. and it's this SatNav that outputs the audio. It's this audio that I'm trying to get into the USB port in the centre console for output by Hondas audio system.

Thanks S.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'll put this thread on hold while I do some trial and error stuff! This car is much smarter than I am.
I have the same music on my smart phone as I do on the SatNav card. When I said it was playing the Mp3 music of this card - it wasn't!
The blue tooth connection was playing the music off my smart phone!
I'll spend this weekend experimenting, - that's after I've had an arse kicking contest with myself...................

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only way I can get audio from my portable SatNav is with a Bluetooth Adaptor. I now have one of these, but cannot get it to pair with my 2015 CRV.
Has anyone paired a Bluetooth adaptor with their car ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the taotronic Bluetooth transmitter from amazon, which working fine now though I had hard time to connect it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
252 Posts
Seems to me the issue may be a limitation of the Garmin unit and it might not output alerts or voice commands through its 3.5 jack. Even if the mp3 files were flagged as protected, that flag is not embedded in the audio signal and the usb adapter would have no way of identifying it as such. A quick Google of the Garmin Nuvi satnav features comments that "It has a 3.5mm audio output jack, too, for use with standard headphones if you want to make it your part-time MP3 player", which leads me to believe the audio output is limited to the music player only. The Garmin site also describes the voice prompt feature as "(internal speaker)". It's not clear to me if Bluetooth is different, but if you have any other BT enabled gear such as a phone or tablet perhaps you could try it with that before purchasing anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems to me the issue may be a limitation of the Garmin unit and it might not output alerts or voice commands through its 3.5 jack. Even if the mp3 files were flagged as protected, that flag is not embedded in the audio signal and the usb adapter would have no way of identifying it as such. A quick Google of the Garmin Nuvi satnav features comments that "It has a 3.5mm audio output jack, too, for use with standard headphones if you want to make it your part-time MP3 player", which leads me to believe the audio output is limited to the music player only. The Garmin site also describes the voice prompt feature as "(internal speaker)". It's not clear to me if Bluetooth is different, but if you have any other BT enabled gear such as a phone or tablet perhaps you could try it with that before purchasing anything.
Thanks Tom. The audio output from the SatNav used to play O.K. on my previous CRV (2010) which had a 3.5mm Aux socket. So I'm confident the SatNav outputs Audio via it's 3.5 socket.
At present, it's connected via its (the SatNav's) internal FM transmitter. This works, but it relies on a particular FM channel being free.

My problem is that I cannot get the Bluetooth transmitter adapter to pair with my 2015 CRV. If I could get a Bluetooth transmitter to pair, then I feel confident that I can plug my SatNav in and get the audio transferred through the cars audio.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My current solution to this problem is to install the free Cameralert app ( from Pocket GPS World) onto my Android phone. I already pay for the speed camera database from them, so it doesn’t cost any more. As the phone is paired, the audio warnings are given via the bluetooth connection. They seem to come from just the one speaker by the drivers door - ( which is O.K )
Music is supplied via a USB flash stick and the warnings interrupt the music; the 7 inch display shows it as an unknown incoming phone call.
It all seems to work O.K. so I’ll give it a try for a while, rather than buying any more gizmos. On long journeys I’ll probably have to keep the phone on charge.
Cameralert from here ……
http://www.cameralert.com/app-platforms/cameralert-for-ios-devices/

·
Registered
868 Posts
Interesting how we all have our own priorities. Important to some, no big deal for others. I have a 2011. Bought it new. It has a 3.5 input jack in the armrest. Never used it. Never even tried it. Maybe I should?

I did try the USB plug once. Just to make sure it worked. The memory stick with a bunch of music is gathering dust in the glove compartment.

To each our own. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did try the USB plug once. Just to make sure it worked. The memory stick with a bunch of music is gathering dust in the glove compartment.

To each our own. :)
LOL - I used to install aftermarket audio gear when I was younger, now I have FM presets for NPR.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts