Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2018 CRV Touring just before Thanksgiving. I was mildly excited as this was my first new car purchase and I'm 59. I felt fairly safe with the oil dilution issue since my CRV was an 11/18 build. One of the last 18's built - it already had the "fix." I did notice that it struggled to maintain heat when idling in 20 degree weather, so I decided to check the oil level, and to my surprise it was already up on the metal part of the dipstick with 1000 miles on the engine. Local Honda dealer checked it - I wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly - they confirmed it was high and said the oil needed to be changed immediately. The tech who changed the oil said the oil plug shot out of his hand and the oil had the consistency of water. He wrote on the ticket that the oil contained 1 quart of gasoline. The oil was changed 3 times in approximately 1000 miles. The shortest distance between oil changes was less than 200 miles and again the oil was on the metal of the dipstick. It is obviously a frustrating situation and I have never posted on any forum, but felt compelled to write this if it may help someone else. I have talked with Honda customer service and have a case #. They are interested in my vehicle because of the severity of the issue in relation to the build date. This is just chapter 1. I'll try to add to this thread tomorrow with some other issues the car has experienced (remember this car is only 1 month old) and hopefully share some direction that I have gleaned from the techs.

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
421 Posts
I purchased a 2018 CRV Touring just before Thanksgiving. I was mildly excited as this was my first new car purchase and I'm 59. I felt fairly safe with the oil dilution issue since my CRV was an 11/18 build. One of the last 18's built - it already had the "fix." I did notice that it struggled to maintain heat when idling in 20 degree weather, so I decided to check the oil level, and to my surprise it was already up on the metal part of the dipstick with 1000 miles on the engine. Local Honda dealer checked it - I wanted to make sure I was reading it correctly - they confirmed it was high and said the oil needed to be changed immediately. The tech who changed the oil said the oil plug shot out of his hand and the oil had the consistency of water. He wrote on the ticket that the oil contained 1 quart of gasoline. The oil was changed 3 times in approximately 1000 miles. The shortest distance between oil changes was less than 200 miles and again the oil was on the metal of the dipstick. It is obviously a frustrating situation and I have never posted on any forum, but felt compelled to write this if it may help someone else. I have talked with Honda customer service and have a case #. They are interested in my vehicle because of the severity of the issue in relation to the build date. This is just chapter 1. I'll try to add to this thread tomorrow with some other issues the car has experienced (remember this car is only 1 month old) and hopefully share some direction that I have gleaned from the techs.
That's so sad. Come on Honda!
I have 9500 miles on my 2018 and no problems yet. It really discerning, I have to keep checking my oil looking for contamination. I'm assuming the dealer did your fix.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to the sad, sad owners club. We have a 2018 Touring purchased in April 2018 and have had 2 oil changes already in about 4,500 miles and had the "Fix". The oil is at least 3/4" over the high mark 30 days after having the "Fix" in early November. My wife has been procrastinating in bringing it back but honestly I think Honda is just going to tell us to pound sand at this point. I guess we will have to wait for the engine to fail and "hope" that it it is covered under a warranty. We purchased the extended warranty for the electronics and tech never thinking we would need it for the drive-train or engine after all its a Honda right? Merry X-Mas to all the Honda owners who got one of these gas diluting hogs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Can you post the invoice that shows mileage and the comments from the service department, thanks. Did they confirm the fix was done and which one was performed.?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

Not sayin' you don't have a problem, but what the tech said smells like tuna fish, to me. The crankcase is not pressurized, all oils are thin at operating temp and he measured 1 quart of gasoline.....really?https://www.smileysapp.com/emojis/something-stinks-emoji.png

·
Registered
558 Posts
Not sayin' you don't have a problem, but what the tech said smells like tuna fish, to me. The crankcase is not pressurized, all oils are thin at operating temp and he measured 1 quart of gasoline.....really?https://www.smileysapp.com/emojis/something-stinks-emoji.png
Have to agree with you. A 0w20 weight oil is thin to begin with and at anything close to operating temp it would be like sewing machine oil, i.e. very thin.

The tech has no way of knowing if the excess fluid is all from gasoline or the crankcase was just overfilled with oil from the last change.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also have a 2018 CRV, two months old. Had the first oil changed at around 800 miles (three weeks after purchase) due to the gas in the engine.
Had many Hondas in the past.

I have around 3K miles now and I too have to get another oil change.
In my case, I bought the CRV based on its safety. I didn't even bother to look at the issues with the power-train. Never again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to say that Honda got a lot of the things right with this SUV. My wife and I really like it but... the oil dilution problem makes me question the long term reliability of the engine. Chapter 2: All the oil changes with filter performed by the Honda dealer at Honda's expense. The dealer has really tried to help me. 1st oil change done at 1000 miles - the next one done at about 1200. The third one at 2000 miles. I saw the dipstick after it was changed at 1000 miles and it was right on the full mark. I was amazed that it had risen 1/4 inch onto the metal part of the dipstick in just 200 miles. I also saw a drop of oil in my garage and realized that it was not oil, but transmission fluid. Back to Honda. They again changed the oil since it was too full with oil dilution and added a dye to the transmission fluid. Have not noticed any more leakage of transmission fluid. Honda informed me that my build date and vin # showed that I already had the "fix" done when it was built. They told me that this engine has been tested to 300,000 miles with oil dilution and no problems - Those words didn't seem to comfort me as much as they intended. Honda corporate wanted to know my driving habits. I told them that in the 2000 miles that I have put on the car I have taken two 600 mile trips and since both my wife and I walk to work the car isn't driven on many short (less than 5 miles) trips. Honda was baffled. It doesn't make sense. Hopefully tonight I can write chapter 3 - Honda does a master reset of the computer. I will also try to find a way to upload the documentation which may help you if are experiencing the same issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
blue, where are you located or what kind of weather have you been driving in?

·
Registered
63 Posts
waiting for conspiracy theorists to blame ur dilution on too early of a service. didn't dealer tell you it has "special oil" from factory and the rings will never seat if you change it before oil minder says. lmao

·
Registered
832 Posts
I dunno. If this tech does lots of oil changes he should be credited with knowing something. An extra quart in the sump will make the initial flow out of the drain plug faster. And maybe he measured the quantity of oil drained to get the 1 quart value.

On this issue it seems the default position for Honda techs to take is that nothing’s wrong. So just maybe this tech is unusually honest and something’s amiss.

Honda has a flawed piece of equipment on the street and they continue to compound the problem by cranking out an extra half million examples every year. If they don’t fix it soon, they will suffer pretty serious consequences.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I dunno. If this tech does lots of oil changes he should be credited with knowing something. An extra quart in the sump will make the initial flow out of the drain plug faster. And maybe he measured the quantity of oil drained to get the 1 quart value.

On this issue it seems the default position for Honda techs to take is that nothing’s wrong. So just maybe this tech is unusually honest and something’s amiss.

Honda has a flawed piece of equipment on the street and they continue to compound the problem by cranking out an extra half million examples every year. If they don’t fix it soon, they will suffer pretty serious consequences.
I agree....most of us have had the "I don't know techs",,but for a nice change you found a good tech and I would get his name and makes sure he works on your CRV.....he seems like he wants to help you and is concerned about the issue

·
Registered
43 Posts
I purchased a 2018 CRV Touring just before Thanksgiving. I was mildly excited as this was my first new car purchase and I'm 59. I felt fairly safe with the oil dilution issue since my CRV was an 11/18 build. One of the last 18's built - it already had the "fix."
Why does anyone think that 2018 CRVs already had the fix applied at the factory?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I realize your skepticism about about my situation - if I hadn't lived this nightmare I would also be skeptical, but I assure you it's true. I'm not sure how to post so I may need some tips, but I will attempt to post all invoices tomorrow. Spent part of this afternoon with a Honda service manager looking for a common thread. We checked one crv touring purchased in April 18 with 5000 miles (with the original oil in it and never checked) - oil level perfect, no smell of gas. Mine with the 11/18 build date and 2200 miles. Same city, same weather - what makes this so random? When we checked her car's oil I would have bet a lot that we find it elevated oil level and gas smell, but it wasn't there. Why?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I realize your skepticism about about my situation - if I hadn't lived this nightmare I would also be skeptical, but I assure you it's true. I'm not sure how to post so I may need some tips, but I will attempt to post all invoices tomorrow. Spent part of this afternoon with a Honda service manager looking for a common thread. We checked one crv touring purchased in April 18 with 5000 miles (with the original oil in it and never checked) - oil level perfect, no smell of gas. Mine with the 11/18 build date and 2200 miles. Same city, same weather - what makes this so random? When we checked her car's oil I would have bet a lot that we find it elevated oil level and gas smell, but it wasn't there. Why?
dealer name?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why does anyone think that 2018 CRVs already had the fix applied at the factory?
Why would it be hard to do? Software and a part change doesn't seem like a big deal. Wouldn't it be easier than doing it on the lots before selling them.

TSB 18-114 & 124 (applies to vehicles not yet sold) dated Oct. 22, 2018

"Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory. Repair these vehicles before
they are sold"

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The tech said “the oil plug shot out of his hand”. Really?:headscratch::confused2::jawdrop: There’s that smell again.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts