Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I tried an experiment.
I drove my 18 Touring long enough for it to warm up then parked it.

I waited three minutes and checked the oil level via the dipstick and noted the level.
It was right on the full mark..

I then waited three more minutes and checked again. Same results..

I then waited until ten minutes had passed since I shut it off and checked again.. Same as first check at three minutes..

This pretty much confirms what I have said before when others say three minutes is not a long enough time to wait to check the oil..

It appears it is.

0w20 oil is thin enough when warm and the 1.5 turbo engine is compact enough that oil drains back quickly so three minutes is sufficient wait time.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
so when you do your oil a simple start 1/1000, 2/1000, 3 shut off, check your oil you still wait 3 minutes?

·
Banned
350 Posts
I bet you'd also get the same results when checking it at 1 minute and 2 minutes.

The dipstick is not a precise, calibrated, scientific measurement device.

It is not precise enough to pick up the oil level difference between these time intervals.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bet you'd also get the same results when checking it at 1 minute and 2 minutes.

The dipstick is not a precise, calibrated, scientific measurement device.

It is not precise enough to pick up the oil level difference between these time intervals.
Huh?
The dipstick method is more than precise enough to indicate even a half quart difference at one minute versus ten minutes..

And that is as precise as it needs to be and has been since autos first his the road.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Huh?
The dipstick method is more than precise enough to indicate even a half quart difference at one minute versus ten minutes..

And that is as precise as it needs to be and has been since autos first his the road.
My point is...it doesn't matter when you read the oil level, you are going to get virtually identical readings (which is what you found).

The oil level difference 2 minutes after shutoff and 15 minutes after shutoff is so small that it can't be measured by the dipstick.

I'm sure you could find a minute difference using a laboratory spec graduated cylinder, but a dipstick is not going to show any difference.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A simple way.

Drive it, stop for gas, release hood, complete gas-up, grab paper towel, check oil. Oil is warm, has circulated but has had time to drip back down towards the oil pan whose level you are checking.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So today I tried an experiment.
I drove my 18 Touring long enough for it to warm up then parked it.

I waited three minutes and checked the oil level via the dipstick and noted the level.
It was right on the full mark..

I then waited three more minutes and checked again. Same results..

I then waited until ten minutes had passed since I shut it off and checked again.. Same as first check at three minutes..

This pretty much confirms what I have said before when others say three minutes is not a long enough time to wait to check the oil..

It appears it is.

0w20 oil is thin enough when warm and the 1.5 turbo engine is compact enough that oil drains back quickly so three minutes is sufficient wait time.

Final test is to check it in the morning and see if it is the same, then we will know. Mine is always higher when checked when cold.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Oil level is always slightly higher not when cold, but after sitting long enough because all the oil drains back to the pan.

First thing in the morning is NOT the time to check the oil. If it doesnt read over full in the morning then your low on oil. Anything of 1 minute to several minutes after shutting engine off is more than sufficient and all the time you should be waiting to check the oil. Waiting overnight an engine can read up to .5qts over full (bigger engines) but even a small engine will be noticeable over full on the stick if it's perfectly full when checking it while getting gas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
My Two Cents:

Do it when the car has been settled down, cool temps are best over high temp days.

take a cold reading and a Hot reading. and keep a note where you were. and, you'll know your answer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It doesn't really matter when you check the oil, The main thing is to check it the same every time. I do mine on a cold engine because it is convenient for me. Simply always do it the same. You will then have an accurate record of whether you are diluting or not.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
So what you are saying that I should always check my oil at the same time. Pick a time and change. Take two aspirins at exactly 12 O’clock.

Or else. Don’t miss the time or else.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The point of checking your oil level is determine whether you are losing oil or, in the case of a CRV, gaining oil.
Consistency is key, just do it the same way every time.

BTW: The the difference between dead cold and a hot 3 minute wait is @ 1/8 of an inch.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The point of checking your oil level is determine whether you are losing oil or, in the case of a CRV, gaining oil.
Consistency is key, just do it the same way every time.

BTW: The the difference between dead cold and a hot 3 minute wait is @ 1/8 of an inch.

^^^^This exactly^^^^

......and for those doing their own oil changes, I doubt they are re-filling with HOT oil.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts