Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 30K, was about to go for a long road trip, so took it to a deal to get an oil change and a quick inspection. They said I am due for a Trans and Radiator Flush. Now I looked at the Maintenance Minder and seen Trans was a B3, and Engine coolant I think was B5. When I took it in, I don't know if the dealer cleared the Maintenance code or not, so I really dont know what was on the dash when I took it in. I had decent oil life, so the code was not being displayed. The code now is a B1. I am just wondering if anyone has had a B3 show itself around 30K?
I cant find any info on millage for when these minders show.

My Transmission is now starting to downshift hard when coming to a stop, so I am almost wanting them to do a flush on the trans, but when I checked the oil, it didnt smell bad and didnt look bad. I dont know what the oil looks like when its new, so I dont know if its to dark or not.

What are your guys thoughts?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My wife's 2013 CRV has a little over 33K miles on it and we have not had the B3 or B5 code pop up. We also aren't having rough shift with the transmission either. I'd say do the transmission fluid since you have a rough shift and look at the coolant. If the coolant still looks clean then leave it be until you get the code.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
You have a 2014 CRV. Not sure, but i think the coolant is rated for at least 5 yrs.
Is your coolant really dirty or rust colored?
Usually when dealers say 'transmission flush" they mean a simple drain and fill. Usually under 4 qts I believe.
If the tranny is still under warranty, I would definitely take it in and tell them about it and have them log it, at the very least.
Is that tranny fluid dark, dirty and smells burnt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oItpcOJLuA
Buffalo4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have a 2014 CRV. Not sure, but i think the coolant is rated for at least 5 yrs.
Is your coolant really dirty or rust colored?
Usually when dealers say 'transmission flush" they mean a simple drain and fill. Usually under 4 qts I believe.
If the tranny is still under warranty, I would definitely take it in and tell them about it and have them log it, at the very least.
Is that tranny fluid dark, dirty and smells burnt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oItpcOJLuA
Buffalo4
Looking at the video where the guy is pouring the transmission fluid in....assuming its the same as whats in my car, I would say mine is a bit darker. I cant smell the video, but Mine didnt small burnt burnt, but it was a bit darker, which I would think would be normal. I will take it in and have them at least log it as you said.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
The traditional transmissions seem to benefit from a drain & fill every 30K. That will replace roughly 1/3 of the fluid. Honda does NOT recommend transmission 'flushes'. You need to establish exactly what the dealer is proposing.

The coolant (Blue, Honda Type II) is good for 100K or more, so I'd suspect that dealer is trying to increase it's profit margin.

By all means, document any shift issues you are having.

PS: Honda's DW-1 semi-synthetic ATF cannot be accurately evaluated by coloration or smell...

·
Not-a-Mechanic
405 Posts
Hopefully you're near a large urban area and you can go to a different dealer.
Pretty sure that coolant is synthetic and lasts quite a long time.
Transmission fluid changes are pretty standard, not flush that I've hear of (I am a bit new to the CR-Vs), and I believe those periodic changes are incorporated in the MM system.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Those automatics like clean fluid. I have been changing my 2000 V's transmission fluid every 30k since I bought it. The coolant is probably fine as Carbuff stated. By the time the coolant would need replacing, the water pump will probably need replacing too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
30K miles sounds right for a transmission fluid exchange, thats about how often my MM kicks the code for it. 30K for coolant seems like rubbish to me though...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If it were me, I would go by the MM since the dealer has shown that they are more interested in your money rather than what is best for your car. It would make me wonder about any future suggestions. I got an e-mail from my dealer yesterday suggesting I bring my car in for the 20,000 mile service. Where did they come up with that "suggestion". I use them for warranty and TSBs but otherwise, I do everything on my car myself as I have done for the last 50+ years.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I didn't get the transmission fluid change on the MM until 55K miles. I do all my own service and had already changed it twice. It is just as easy to change it as the oil IMO. The coolant should last a long time. It will usually say it on the back of the jug how long it will last. You can go to the parts counter and ask to see a jug of it and read the back.

Dealerships make a bulk of their money off of service.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I didn't change the trans fluid on my '02 Accord V-6 until the 105k tune-up. The indy that did that job for me test drove my car before he started the work. After the test drive he asked when I had the trans rebuilt and who did it. Told him it had never been rebuilt and that he was about the only person other than myself to actually pull the dipstick out of the trans to check it. He claimed the car drove like new and offered to buy it as a shop car to loan to people if/when I decided to sell it.
It really depends on how you treat your transmission. No power shifting, just wait till it's in the next gear and locked up, then punch it. That car would see the ton on a regular basis on my way to work at 4:30 in the morning. Kind of wish I'd never traded it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many have identified the external TRANS OIL FILTER, but none have mentioned the INTERNAL

FILTER/SCREEN. HondaPartsNow.com sells part# 25420-RXH-003, strainer assembly, for $37.58.

Has anyone uncovered a replacement frequency for this INTERNAL TRANS OIL FILTER/SCREEN ??

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I believe it is supposed to be replaced when you replace the transmission. :eek:
Why? You have to remove the the tranny to get to it, and, if it is that clogged up, you will need a new tranny anyways, AFAIK.
Buffalo4

1 - 14 of 14 Posts