Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's really no concise information online and there no service manual from Honda.

At 30K what do I need to do?

Differential fluid change?
Transmission fluid drain, fill?
Serpentine belt?

Any input is appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Transmission Fluid
Differential Fluid
Drain and refill Coolant (recommend every 2 to 3 years)
Flush brake fluid

·
Registered
785 Posts
All of the required services have a code that's described in your Owner's Manual. This code will coincide with an oil change as determined by Honda's "Maintenance Minder" (MM). The car will tell you what services are dues at the next oil change. So the simplest thing to do is wait for the car to tell you what services are required.

Honda assumes its owners are mechanical idiots so doesn't publish a maintenance schedule (no one would understand, no one would read, etc.). One thing to remember, though, is that if you perform you own maintenance other than oil changes and do it at a time the MM isn't saying the service is due, there's no way you can reset the MM for something like a transmission fluid change. Only the dealer can do that. So you and the MM will be forever out of sync for that service item.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I'd still have to visit a dealer for the transmission fluid indicator to be reset if it came on? There's literally no way or anyone but the dealer who can reset that?

One thing I should mention is I'm just over 30K, no maintenance minder has even come on yet. I'm just trying to be proactive. It sounds as if the transmission fluid interval may not be 30K, so why change the transmission fluid at all at 30 if it's not recommended?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Just do a drain and refill every 30K and your tranny will live a long and happy life ! It only takes about 3.5 qts of fluid and is very easy to do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One thing I should mention is I'm just over 30K, no maintenance minder has even come on yet. I'm just trying to be proactive. It sounds as if the transmission fluid interval may not be 30K, so why change the transmission fluid at all at 30 if it's not recommended?
Good question about the 30K, and maybe someday someone will revese engineer the algorithm and post that information on the internet. In any event in my 2015 owner's manual, page 429/430 has a severe service recommendation of 25,000 miles. Color me paranoid, but that's one I intend to follow for the CVT.
Kevin

·
Registered
785 Posts
So I'd still have to visit a dealer for the transmission fluid indicator to be reset if it came on? There's literally no way or anyone but the dealer who can reset that?

When you reset the MM after an oil change, all of the indicated services are reset at that time. The point is, if you change the ATF at, say, 30,000 miles, and it was not requested by the MM, the MM will assume it has not been changed. So if the MM interval is 45,000 miles, you would get the ATF change notice at the oil change closest to 45k. The dealer could reset the ATF only part of the MM at 30k, but we owner cannot. Not a big deal, but potentially confusing.

This whole scenario is a bit of a complication for those of us that like to over-maintain their cars. You may want to ask your dealer what service intervals they typically see for things like ATF, differential fluid, etc. and take it from there, but if you haven't seen a notice or other maintenance requirements, Honda doesn't think they're needed yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently needed a 30K service for 2012 CRV and used this to determine what service was required. I got ACD services performed. See page 23. Due to my post count can't post links yet - cut and paste the URL below.

techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/CI0303/CI0303O00020C.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kevin,
I also have a 2013 Accord CVT, changed the CVT fluid at 25k. The HCF-2 fluid comes in a black quart bottle with a bright
yellow label. New Fluid is transparent yellow, used fluid flows out of the CVT looking like dark maple syrup, the fluid must be some type of high detergent synthetic. When 3.5 quarts viewed from above in your drain container it is very dark -- almost black. I now do it every 15k miles. Despite the terrible looking change in color, the amount of fine metal particles on the magnetic drain plug is no more than older generation Accords we have owned. Staying on top of fluids and filters are the key to happy Hondas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Kevin,
I also have a 2013 Accord CVT, changed the CVT fluid at 25k. The HCF-2 fluid comes in a black quart bottle with a bright
yellow label. New Fluid is transparent yellow, used fluid flows out of the CVT looking like dark maple syrup, the fluid must be some type of high detergent synthetic. When 3.5 quarts viewed from above in your drain container it is very dark -- almost black. I now do it every 15k miles. Despite the terrible looking change in color, the amount of fine metal particles on the magnetic drain plug is no more than older generation Accords we have owned. Staying on top of fluids and filters are the key to happy Hondas.
Thanks for the heads up. The transmission in my son's 99 V6 Accord has an occasional 'clunk' (at only 114K miles) for which I blame myself in not servicing on a more frequent basis. I had it completely changed (3x "drain and fills") with Genuine Honda ATF and it's better, tho' we try to drive more gently than past habits dictate; was gonna' do it myself but kept running out of time. We're very lucky to have an exceptional independent service place within walking distance of home.
Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts