Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a one owner 2006 CRV with 156,000 miles. I would love to keep it much longer so I just invested in a bunch of repairs. Was this wise? What else can I expect if I want to keep this to 225,000 miles. Do you have a high mile CRV? Tell us about your experience. Thanks!

Front lower ball joints
Front and rear struts
Motor and trans mounts (engine vibrating)
Brakes
Power Steering pump/hoses (leaking)
A/C Condenser Fan
Belt Pulley Tensioner (rattling)
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What if you spent the money and then the vehicle was totaled in an accident, fire, total theft, etc? The maintenance repair you would do would increase the value little if at all. I was an insurance adjuster for 30+ years and ran into this problem many times. The insurance company owes the actual cash value (market value). I would not do it myself and would do just enough to keep it on the road and upgrade to something else with the money.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if you spent the money and then the vehicle was totaled in an accident, fire, total theft, etc? The maintenance repair you would do would increase the value little if at all. I was an insurance adjuster for 30+ years and ran into this problem many times. The insurance company owes the actual cash value (market value). I would not do it myself and would do just enough to keep it on the road and upgrade to something else with the money.
Thanks you. Was not looking at a value of the car angle. Was asking does going deep on the repairs in a order to keep this model of car on the road for 75,000 miles a good risk. Looking for feedback from those with the same CRV and higher miles..

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
I've been in this dilemma.
You're doing 15k a year, and want to keep it for another five years.
What I'm going to suggest that assuming say $300 worth of service and repair work every year going forward, you have a car that will cost you $1,000 a year in maintenance including this $3,600. Still cheaper than a new car.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks you. Was not looking at a value of the car angle. Was asking does going deep on the repairs in a order to keep this model of car on the road for 75,000 miles a good risk. Looking for feedback from those with the same CRV and higher miles..
But it's something that you need to consider. If you have an accident before you get the use you hope for, you will lose a lot of money.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I'm sure it will give you many more miles. Things wear out. The unfortunate part is that $2500 or more of that was labor.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sounds like dealer diagnose my self, very hard on your wallet and very nice commission for someone. FYI, my 97 just turned 219k miles and still has NOT had the majority of the items you listed. Are you having tire wear problems (ball joints) or riding rough (struts frt./rear), if anything I would get a second opinion. JMHO and good luck.
David g...............:confused:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Judging from your moniker, you live in WI !! Roads and driving up here are hard on a car so I'd be inclined to follow the "fix only the bare minimum" and "get a second opinion from an indie" opinions !! Good luck. Craig

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I feel it is good to replace "worry" items, but my perspective is different since I do all work myself, and have flexible work hours (for now) so I can work on it for a few days and not worry about being without a car. I probably could have spent $500-600 on these same items, so for me I wouldn't hesitate to replace them if I had the opportunity. But if I were paying for labor on top of it, I'd probably just fix everything as-needed.

I kept my '97 on the road for over 19 years continuously using that principle. Even if I had an expensive year and paid $400 in parts, that was still far less than car payments. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts