Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4WD 1998 cr-v with a 5 speed MT. It has 141,XXX miles on it. I get about 21 mpg. I am planning on driving from Virginia to Colorado (1850 miles one way) to ski. I am bringing one friend who will share in the driving.
The car is in excellent condition - no complaints so far. Shifting is snappy and the clutch doesn't slip at all. The engine still sounds and feels new.
Does anyone have any advice about how to tackle such a long road trip? I have never done any trip this far before.
Some other things to consider: I am trying to save as much money as possible. I intend to camp (either in a tent or in the car).

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
How long do you have to take this trip? I'm usually toast after 700 miles (myself) of driving in a day. Make sure you have changed your fluids and nothing needs to be done during the trip. I would get some chains as they are required at times up in the mountains. Have lots of food and emergency stuff you may need along the way along with lots of cash or plastic and you should be fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Road trip!!! It's about 1,500 to Key West from where I live, drove there twice in about 24 hours both times non stop. Make sure to bring a big bag of animal crackers, some gummy worms and a big bag of those life savers mints. If you plan on driving non stop some of those 5 or 6 hour energy shots help out a little while driving at night. But that's just what I do some times when I road trip to Austin by myself. Other than that you might want to catch up on some of the state laws, some states you have to use Bluetooth to talk on the phone while you are driving. While some states you can't have anything hanging in your windshield like a GPS... When you drive through Missouri just don't text while driving and make sure you have your seat belt on, most people drive around 75-85 on I-70. Just watch out in St. Louis where the speed limit is below 70, same goes for when you go through Columbia. Other than those non technical tips, I would do what Badgerland said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Snickolaz and Badgerland. I don't talk or text on the phone while I drive anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. I wasn't planning on driving straight - I was thinking I would stop over in Columbia and camp. Google maps says that the trip is ~30 hours so with stops and breaks probably about 18 each day. That is 9 hours behind the wheel for me and 9 for my pal. Shouldn't be too bad.

If anyone has any advice about sleeping in the V, do tell. Note that mine is a '98 so the back seats don't go ALL the way back.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Being a camper myself, I would prefer to use a tent over sleeping in the CRV. After that many hours in the seat, I just need a change of position/feeling in order to keep going. Having to stay in that seat for that long would take its tole on me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts